The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York PG

Hi! I’m really interested in coming to York for a PG course in Law, I’d be coming with my partner and wondered what accommodation was like for couples, general tips about the uni, whether you’d recommend it, anything! Thanks
Original post by leotodd
Hi! I’m really interested in coming to York for a PG course in Law, I’d be coming with my partner and wondered what accommodation was like for couples, general tips about the uni, whether you’d recommend it, anything! Thanks

Hi! I didn't study Law at York, but if you have any questions about the city or student life in general, I'm happy to help! We have this web page on Couples Accommodation that you might find useful :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by University of York

Hi! I didn't study Law at York, but if you have any questions about the city or student life in general, I'm happy to help! We have this web page on Couples Accommodation that you might find useful :smile:

Thank you so much for replying! I’d love a brief overview of the city life and student life. Is there lots to do for a non drinker? Is York relatively cheap? (I’m a southerner so used to high COL)
Original post by leotodd
Thank you so much for replying! I’d love a brief overview of the city life and student life. Is there lots to do for a non drinker? Is York relatively cheap? (I’m a southerner so used to high COL)

Hi!

So I'd say on campus, it's really peaceful and scenic. Both campuses are centered around lakes and have lots of open space, greenery and wildlife, so if you like cute ducks then you are in luck! There's still lots going on - we've got cafes, bars, shops all over campus and there's always events and socials. So there's a nice mix of lots of things to do but I think it really helped my stress levels to be in a calm environment.

You have control over your student life and what you want to get out of your time here. If you prefer a quieter time, you can definitely have that at York. There's lots of private, quiet study spaces you can book including rooms/spaces in the library if you prefer silent study. We have some quite unique study spaces including some lakeside pods! Accommodation-wise, there are colleges that are a bit further out from the hustle and bustle including Halifax College and Alcuin College. In town, there are some lovely walks alongside the river or through parks.

For more social things, there are so many societies you can join so whatever your interests are, I'm sure you'll find something! I tried lots of new things as well and found new hobbies. There were a mix of UG and PG students in my societies so although I guess they are more well known as something to do in your undergraduate degree, you can still join things as a postgrad!

I don't drink either, and I found that there was still lots to do in York. There are lots and lots of cafes and restaurants to try. In my final year, my friends and I tried to go to a new cafe every couple of weeks for tea and cake which was probably the highlight of my week. I think more and more students are non drinkers so I don't think you'll feel left out. There's some nice bars in town that do good mocktails! As York is quite touristy, there are some fun activities to do in town. We have food festivals, Christmas markets and a Viking festival. York also has quirky things like wizard-themed mini golf and ghost tours.

Price is varied. There are cheaper cities in the North than York for sure. Leeds is a short train ride away so that's always an option. I'd guess York is cheaper than London but it is more on the expensive side. But you'll still find good deals. I'd suggest registering with a student discount company like Unidays because you will get money off lots of restaurants and shops!

I hope this helps a bit, but I'm happy to answer any other queries!

Hazel :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of York

Hi!

So I'd say on campus, it's really peaceful and scenic. Both campuses are centered around lakes and have lots of open space, greenery and wildlife, so if you like cute ducks then you are in luck! There's still lots going on - we've got cafes, bars, shops all over campus and there's always events and socials. So there's a nice mix of lots of things to do but I think it really helped my stress levels to be in a calm environment.

You have control over your student life and what you want to get out of your time here. If you prefer a quieter time, you can definitely have that at York. There's lots of private, quiet study spaces you can book including rooms/spaces in the library if you prefer silent study. We have some quite unique study spaces including some lakeside pods! Accommodation-wise, there are colleges that are a bit further out from the hustle and bustle including Halifax College and Alcuin College. In town, there are some lovely walks alongside the river or through parks.

For more social things, there are so many societies you can join so whatever your interests are, I'm sure you'll find something! I tried lots of new things as well and found new hobbies. There were a mix of UG and PG students in my societies so although I guess they are more well known as something to do in your undergraduate degree, you can still join things as a postgrad!

I don't drink either, and I found that there was still lots to do in York. There are lots and lots of cafes and restaurants to try. In my final year, my friends and I tried to go to a new cafe every couple of weeks for tea and cake which was probably the highlight of my week. I think more and more students are non drinkers so I don't think you'll feel left out. There's some nice bars in town that do good mocktails! As York is quite touristy, there are some fun activities to do in town. We have food festivals, Christmas markets and a Viking festival. York also has quirky things like wizard-themed mini golf and ghost tours.

Price is varied. There are cheaper cities in the North than York for sure. Leeds is a short train ride away so that's always an option. I'd guess York is cheaper than London but it is more on the expensive side. But you'll still find good deals. I'd suggest registering with a student discount company like Unidays because you will get money off lots of restaurants and shops!

I hope this helps a bit, but I'm happy to answer any other queries!

Hazel :smile:

Thank you so much, that’s super helpful! York is definitely top of my list for a masters ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending