Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfeeled)
    okay think of it like this. There is a mother, she is pregnant, due to certain complications during the pregnancy she is told that giving birth to the baby could very likely killer (because lets admit the whole moon cracking is going to kill a lot of people). Would the mother be wrong to abort the baby. Or should she have to face the likely possibility of a painful death.
    Dying herself to save the baby would be the most selfless and respectable thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unibuster325)
    Dying herself to save the baby would be the most selfless and respectable thing to do.
    but do you believe it would be wrong to abort. Would you do the equivalent of what clara did and force the birth onto somebody that it will probably kill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    So in real life where the creature would almost certainly destroy/devastate life on Earth as the laws of Physics are maintained you would choose to save the creature over yourself,your family, your friends and 7 billion people a lot of humans would be just about to be born as well on Earth over some creature, which could be good or bad or sentient or not?.
    I would. What right would I have to condemn a unborn alien creature to death? What right would humanity as a whole have to do that?

I'd take the selfless option and sacrifice myself and every other being on Earth.

ReputationRep:
    but do you believe it would be wrong to abort. Would you do the equivalent of what clara did and force the birth onto somebody that it will probably kill.
    I'm totally against abortion. I think it's cruel and unfair to deny something(anything, in fact) life just because you can't cope with raising it or whatever the reason may be.

What has the embryo done to deserve that?

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally against abortion. I think it's cruel and unfair to deny something(anything, in fact) life just because you can't cope with raising it or whatever the reason may be.

What has the embryo done to deserve that?
    So you wouldn't force the mother through the pregnancy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Yes you seem to have got the point a mother vs baby is am much tougher decision to make but billions of humans vs one baby is very easy you have to save the billions of humans.
    im not asking it for be easy. I just think the decision was incredibly dangerous.

The moon gained mass due to what must have been a growth spurt.The mass must have increased very slowly over the last 100 million years.
    But where the hell did the mass come from. It cant be like a normal egg. Is it like a plant then.

Yes I hated that there were no consequences when in reality loads of egg pieces would have devastated the Earth-i think that there should have been a lot of devastation and Clara should have had to face up with her silly decision.
    I actually enjoyed the episode (even though it felt like a slap in the face), it would have been an absolutely amazing opportunity to make it so clara made the wrong decision.

think the mass increase across the moon was uneven thus some areas would have had higher gravity than other areas only if the mass increased at a constant rate across the whole moon would the gravity remain constant.
    That would explain deviations in the gravity but not spontaneous disappearances and then reappearances. I get that the moon is moving on the inside but unless it all moved to the other side in a matter of seconds the gravity would only weaken slowly. And it doesn't explain why the same thing didn't happen to anyone else.

The fact the moon is an egg was only discovered this episode.
    I mean in the future. Surly people are going to write about for years to come. Especially given that it is going to hatch again. Literally biologists on earth would orgasm at the thought of a creature that can fly through space that is the size of the moon. There would be t.v shows on, books about. And we are to believe that not only did the doctor not know this, Clara has never seen it before.

ReputationRep:
    I would. What right would I have to condemn a unborn alien creature to death? What right would humanity as a whole have to do that?

I'd take the selfless option and sacrifice myself and every other being on Earth.
    Btw, 365,000 babies are born every day. That means that there would be 55 million babies that would be killed that would have been born in the next 5 months.

Also, sacrificing everyone else is not exactly selfless.

ReputationRep:
    Terrible episode IMO. Every one of Courtney's lines felt completely and utterly unnecessary and forced, and Clara's tantrum was ridiculous. During her message she also completely neglected to explain to anybody on Earth that the Moon was an egg and just asked them whether or not they wanted to kill "this creature" without any idea what "this creature" could be. I also love how Clara overruled the decision of an entire species especially when she was the one to give them a choice (even though the question she asked was rigged in her favour); talk about hubris.

ReputationRep:
    What amazing night for Dr who last night really enjoyed it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Last nights episode certainly seems to be dividing opinion. Most professional review sites (and some fans) have given it good reviews, while many viewers think it was pretty poor or even the worse episode for a while.

As for my opinion, I kinda enjoyed watching it but it was clearly flawed. The story made very little sense, either narratively or logically. The physics obviously make no sense and the story doesn't either.

If the 'egg' had been causing disturbances on Earth, why did its destruction have no effect? If the Doctor knew it wouldn't why did he go through the whole charade of leaving Clara to make the decision. Replacing the egg-moon was a cop-out and the writing of a coward.

The Doctor was a bit of a prick and Clara (somewhat understandably) was super mad. But then a few words with Danny-no-brain and she's happy again? Makes no sense at all.

Capaldi is a great actor and his Doctor has the potential to be great. A darker, fiercer Doctor sounds great, but they've got him wrong, this Doctor is being written as a ****. I want to see the Doctor being dark and intimidating to foes and monster, not being petty and grumpy to companions and children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    How does it 'just gain mass' though, things don't gain mass without some form of input, and i highly doubt solar energy is enough to explain such gain.

========

For me the issues were;

- Creature somehow laying an egg bigger than it's body
    - Somehow you can fly away in a vacuum
    - Unicellular spiders...sure.
    - The whole 'gravity' explanation was very bare, as was the whole scene when the base lost pressure which was conveniently fixed.
    - Terrible writing, i mean seriously the third rate astronauts "are there instructions". Then there was the horrible script for Courtney which felt like it was written for a 5 year old not a 15 year old.
    - Then there were the whole tide's issues, which regardless of whether the tides had retreated or not there would have been some form of remains/disturbance/debris, not a perfect beach.
    - Clara was also flawed with the whole decision to turn off the nukes after the whole decision to get Earth's leaders to turn off the lights (so assumably the Government/World does care, but can only send up third-rate astronauts?) As already suggested, it seemed all just to force some form of anti-abortion message.

It was just terrible throughout for me, and this is coming from somebody who only began watching the show after the 50th Anniversary.

The whole 'moon being an egg' idea could have worked, but they just totally messed it up.
    I'm not sure how it managed to gain mass, but the whole concept of this episode doesn't really make sense either.

Agree with everything you said, except the "anti-abortion" thing, I didn't get that feeling at all, but that's just me.

I would like to see a darker episode soon, for example if they had actually killed the creature. Capaldi can't be the Doctor that he is trying to be if every episode has a fairy tale ending.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Urgh just caught up on it, shouldn't have bothered. Courtney needs to vanish.

ReputationRep:
    So you wouldn't force the mother through the pregnancy?
    Don't you mean I would?

If a woman is pregnant and doesn't want the baby, she can only blame herself. It is unfair to blame the unborn baby and kill it through abortion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsertWittyName)
    Btw, 365,000 babies are born every day. That means that there would be 55 million babies that would be killed that would have been born in the next 5 months.

Also, sacrificing everyone else is not exactly selfless.
    Saving your species by killing a unborn moon creature is incredibly selfish because you're saving your own skin. Therefore saving the moon creature and sacrificing your species is a act of selflessness in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you mean I would?

If a woman is pregnant and doesn't want the baby, she can only blame herself. It is unfair to blame the unborn baby and kill it through abortion.
    So even if the act of giving birth would probably kill the mother. It unfair to force the mother through the birth and kill her.

ReputationRep:
    So even if the act of giving birth would probably kill the mother. It unfair to force the mother through the birth and kill her.
    It's more unfair on the unborn child, who has done nothing wrong to deserve what is essentially murder.

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed Jenna Coleman's performance in the episode. She did a great job with the angry retaliation to the Doctor deserting Clara. It was a shame this powerful scene was undone moments later but it was still a good moment nonetheless. The whole episode felt a bit pointless though with there being no real drama/conflict in the end as the "deadly creature" just flew off and left another moon.

ReputationRep:
    It's more unfair on the unborn child, who has done nothing wrong to deserve what is essentially murder.
    but most people havent done anything to deserve death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Urgh just caught up on it, shouldn't have bothered. Courtney needs to vanish.
    Doctor just leaves a troubled moron child with knowledge of who and what he is, as well as knowledge of who is Companion is, so valuable information on who to torture should someone want to get near the Doctor.

The idiot child also has pictures that she has put on to Facebook or whatever. He didn't delete them, just told her to come and bring the TARDIS to him.

Entire episode was a nonsense.

Moon baby gives lays an egg bigger than it's entire mass :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Thought this episode was better but like many of the episodes this series just a bit too samey to past ones (this one felt like Waters of Mars although not as good, Into the Dalek was similar to JTTCOTT). The only other quibble I had (and it's not an important one really) is the high amount of variance in the Doctor's costume, I don't mind it every so often but he seems to wearing a different combination every single episode, to the point where we only know the white shirt and waistcoat/cardigan is the main one because it was in the poster. It is from a visual POV meant to be what defines him from previous incarnations after all (like a signature). It made it worse that it wasn't that nice a shirt this week

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.