The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

This has some useful stuff to pick out on various Aeneid themes
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/63932-mark-scheme-unit-f390-virgil-and-the-world-of-the-hero.pdf
Original post by silversue
Way he uses various devices to make his narrative interesting , lively writing ; rhythm, variation , colour movement, vivid characterisations ....try for some e.gs
Can you think of anything I've missed?
Reply 341
Way he uses various devices to make his narrative interesting , lively writing ; rhythm, variation , colour movement, vivid characterisations ....try for some e.gs
Can you think of anything I've missed?

You see I'd think about imagery, fate etc. do you have anything for minor characters e.g. Anna and Iarbas?
anyone doing Ovid and Propertius ?
Hi,

Does anyone know what the grade boundary (raw mark) would approximately be for an A* in Latin, as OCR very helpfully does not publish them!

Don't know. It may vary slightly depending on overall results. I received a double B last year with 83 and 78, so not generous. Try not to worry about it. It is in the lap of the gods now. Yo could try praying to Jupiter but miss out the animal sacrifice. One beer would be OK.
Original post by sootyrabbit123
Hi,

Does anyone know what the grade boundary (raw mark) would approximately be for an A* in Latin, as OCR very helpfully does not publish them!

Don't know. It may vary slightly depending on overall results. I received a double B last year with 83 and 78, so not generous. Try not to worry about it. It is in the lap of the gods now. Yo could try praying to Jupiter but miss out the animal sacrifice. One beer would be OK.

Ah ok thanks :smile:
If anyone else has any idea please let me know :smile:
Reply 346
You can't get an A* unless you meet all criteria. You need above 90 UMS in A2 modules as well as above 90 UMS at AS. You need 320/400 to get an A and you must be over 360 and gain 90% at A2 to get an A*
Hi,

I was wondering if everyone is memorising the whole of the Virgil word for word or just doing a general overview of the Latin? I have 5 sections left and don't know whether to bother or just read over them and then focus on vocab for Ovid.
Original post by Fxcku
You can't get an A* unless you meet all criteria. You need above 90 UMS in A2 modules as well as above 90 UMS at AS. You need 320/400 to get an A and you must be over 360 and gain 90% at A2 to get an A*

You need an A overall, not an A* at A2 AND an A at AS.

If you get 90 at A2, you will be awarded an A* even if you have 70 at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anademeter
Hi,

I was wondering if everyone is memorising the whole of the Virgil word for word or just doing a general overview of the Latin? I have 5 sections left and don't know whether to bother or just read over them and then focus on vocab for Ovid.

I have learnt the whole thing, but you could equally just learn key quotes/vocab which you would analyse- miss out the sections that have already come up.
Then definitely focus on vocab as there is so much! I certainly am worried about the translation, as I just don't feel my translating skills are up to scratch...:frown: And they mark it quite harshly- I just hope it is not all too hard!
Good Luck! :smile:
Original post by *Stefan*
You need an A overall, not an A* at A2 AND an A at AS.

If you get 90 at A2, you will be awarded an A* even if you have 70 at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Fxcku

Ah yes, I understand all the UMS etc. I meant the raw marks, as all OCR tell you is the boundary for A which last year was 69/100 and seems low. So I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of what the raw mark boundary would be for A*
:smile:
Ah yes, I understand all the UMS etc. I meant the raw marks, as all OCR tell you is the boundary for A which last year was 69/100 and seems low. So I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of what the raw mark boundary would be for A*
:smile:

We can't know that yet - it's decided towards the end of marking the scripts and is released the day before results.

It's been pretty low historically though...
Original post by *Stefan*
We can't know that yet - it's decided towards the end of marking the scripts and is released the day before results.

It's been pretty low historically though...

Thanks, fingers crossed then! :smile:
Good luck everyone!
How did you find the OCR Latin Verse exam today?
I thought it was awful, really hard.

:frown::frown: :frown:
How did you find the OCR Latin Verse exam today?
I thought it was awful, really hard.

:frown::frown: :frown:

I thought it was nice! The literature was nice, langauge was a little difficult x
Original post by memoona123456
I thought it was nice! The literature was nice, langauge was a little difficult x

I agree, the literature was good but I found the language really hard (didn't help that I ran out time also).....
I just hope the grade boundaries are low :frown:
I agree, the literature was good but I found the language really hard (didn't help that I ran out time also).....
I just hope the grade boundaries are low :frown:

My classmates think they'll be around the same as last year! We can only hope that we've done well!
Original post by memoona123456
My classmates think they'll be around the same as last year! We can only hope that we've done well!

Well, everyone found it quite hard at my school (though there are only three of us!)
How did other students find it at your school?
Well, everyone found it quite hard at my school (though there are only three of us!)
How did other students find it at your school?

Me and one other found it hard. 2 other students found it easier/ easy but they're going to Oxford and Cambridge respectively and they're super clever so not surprising!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending