The Student Room Group

Multi nucleated cells

which of the following cells may be multi nucleated?

hepatocytes , erythrocytes , skeletal muscle cells cardiac cells and fibrocytes ??

All except erythrocytes and fibrocytes. Apparently cardiac cells too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Just skeletal muscle (source: med school lecture slides).
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Sorry but that's not right. Google it!

You sure this is secondary work :colonhash:
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Sorry but that's not right. Google it!

Why don't you google it? In normal non-pathological states it is just skeletal muscle which is multinucleated.

Hepatocytes - may be multinucleated due to pathological changes or due to drug treatment in some research studies.

Cardiac muscle - not multi-nucleated.

At any rate, if the question is aimed at GCSE/A level standard they're just looking for the obvious common answer, which is skeletal muscle.
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy
Why don't you google it? In normal non-pathological states it is just skeletal muscle which is multinucleated.

Hepatocytes - may be multinucleated due to pathological changes or due to drug treatment in some research studies.

At any rate, if the question is aimed at GCSE/A level standard they're just looking for the obvious common answer, which is skeletal muscle.

I don't remember hepatocytes being so simple. I was under the impression that binucleated hepatocytes show up frequently enough. As do hepatocyte nuclei showing different degrees of polyploidy :sly: I'd have to check though

At any rate the question is worded funnily and it's hard to say what they want. I'm not so sure the question is aimed at GCSE students due to the terminology - possibly A-level/first year of undergrad?

But yeh, like you said, several answers 'may' be multinucleated under the right conditions :holmes:
Original post by Type 052D
You sure this is secondary work :colonhash:

No idea. I'm not the OP!

Alright calm down. Stand corrected on the cardiac cells but what Artymess said about the hepatocytes.
Reply 8
Original post by Artymess
I don't remember hepatocytes being so simple. I was under the impression that binucleated hepatocytes show up frequently enough. As do hepatocyte nuclei showing different degrees of polyploidy :sly: I'd have to check though

At any rate the question is worded funnily and it's hard to say what they want. I'm not so sure the question is aimed at GCSE students due to the terminology - possibly A-level/first year of undergrad?

But yeh, like you said, several answers 'may' be multinucleated under the right conditions :holmes:

Yeah that's true, however, I had always been taught that multinucleated = 3 or more nuclei...so skeletal muscle is the best answer to the OP's question imho :pierre:
Reply 9
Yeah that's true, however, I had always been taught that multinucleated = 3 or more nuclei...so skeletal muscle is the best answer to the OP's question imho :pierre:

Yeh, it's more a question of terminology than biology. I've always been told 'multi' applies to anything greater than one :holmes: each to their own

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending