The Student Room Group

percentage yield- I'm so confused

A mixture of 480 g of iodine and 600 cm3 of water was put into a flask. The mixture was stirred and hydrogen sulphide gas, H2S(g), was bubbled through for several hours.The mixture became yellow as sulphur separated out. The sulphur was filtered off and the solution was purified by fractional distillation. A fraction of HI(aq) was collected containing 440 g of HI in a total volume of 750 cm3. Determine the percentage yield of hydroiodic acid.

My working out:
(mol of I2)
n= m/M = 480/126.9 x 2 = 1.89

(mol of HI)
n = m/M = 440/127.9 = 3.44

% yield = 3.44 x 2/1.89 x 100 = 364.02%

The working out in the mark scheme:
amount I2 reacted = 1.89 mol / HI formed = 3.44 mol (1)
theoretical amount HI produced = 3.78 mol/484 g (1) (<-- why did they multiply the mol of I2 by 2, shouldn't it be the mol of HI they multiply by 2?)
% yield = = 91.0 % (1)
Reply 1
Original post by tammie94
A mixture of 480 g of iodine and 600 cm3 of water was put into a flask. The mixture was stirred and hydrogen sulphide gas, H2S(g), was bubbled through for several hours.The mixture became yellow as sulphur separated out. The sulphur was filtered off and the solution was purified by fractional distillation. A fraction of HI(aq) was collected containing 440 g of HI in a total volume of 750 cm3. Determine the percentage yield of hydroiodic acid.

My working out:
(mol of I2)

(mol of HI)

theoretical amount HI produced = 3.78 mol/484 g (1) (<-- why did they multiply the mol of I2 by 2, shouldn't it be the mol of HI they multiply by 2?)
% yield = = 91.0 % (1)

The mark scheme is correct, the maximum yield is twice the moles of I2 as the amount of iodine is the limiting factor.
Also a 364.02% yield is impossible :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by joostan
The mark scheme is correct, the maximum yield is twice the moles of I2 as the amount of iodine is the limiting factor.
Also a 364.02% yield is impossible :tongue:

Yes but the reaction is this:

I2 + H2S => 2HI + S

1 mol of I2 gives 2 mols of HI so shouldn't the moles for HI that we find be multiplied by 2 due to the molar ratio :confused:

My working out:
(mol of I2)

(mol of HI)

% yield = = 91.0 % (1)

"why did they multiply the mol of I2 by 2, shouldn't it be the mol of HI they multiply by 2"

because percentage yield = mass of useful product / mass of reactants x100
you know that you have 1.89mol of iodine... which REACTS at a 1:1 ratio with H2S...

*see equation*I2 + H2S => 2HI + S

soooo the mass of your reactants = 1.89 + 1.89 = 3.78

so the calculation you need to do is...
(3.44/3.78) x100 = 91.0 percent :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sophiekutie
"why did they multiply the mol of I2 by 2, shouldn't it be the mol of HI they multiply by 2"

because percentage yield = mass of useful product / mass of reactants x100
you know that you have 1.89mol of iodine... which REACTS at a 1:1 ratio with H2S...

*see equation*I2 + H2S => 2HI + S

soooo the mass of your reactants = 1.89 + 1.89 = 3.78

so the calculation you need to do is...
(3.44/3.78) x100 = 91.0 percent :smile:

So basically you added the moles of BOTH reactants together? Aren't we supposed to find use only one of the reactants (the one that's limiting the reaction)?
So basically you added the moles of BOTH reactants together? Aren't we supposed to find use only one of the reactants (the one that's limiting the reaction)?

yeah, the mass of ALL reactants have to be included.
you have to find out which one is limiting to find out how much of the stuff reacts, because you might have some in excess that isn't actually gonna react.
but then you have to use this to find out the TOTAL number of moles you are using
because at the end of the day, percentage yield is finding out how much of the stuff you're using is useful :smile:

(sorry this is a bit waffley, i'm not always great at explaining what i mean to say haha! :tongue:)

EDIT: neg? go away -_-
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6

1 mole of I2 goes to 2 moles of HI, so moles of HI = 2 x moles of I2 . . .
Reply 7
Original post by joostan
1 mole of I2 goes to 2 moles of HI, so moles of HI = 2 x moles of I2 . . .

1 mol of I2 produces 2 moles of HI, so to find the theroretical yield of HI you have to multiply by 2? Is that it?
Reply 8
1 mol of I2 produces 2 moles of HI, so to find the theroretical yield of HI you have to multiply by 2? Is that it?

Yes, though (most importantly) do you understand what's going on? :smile:

EDIT: Negged for what exactly?
(edited 10 years ago)
Never mind

The theoretical yield is the amount formed if all of the iodide had reacted. According to the balanced equation one mole of iodine makes 2 moles of HI. So the theoretical yeild is the moles of iodine x 2.

Quick Reply

Latest