The Student Room Group

Those of you in IT Support/Helpdesk/Technician roles

Can you post down some of the skills you have on show in your CV? I am not getting any interview from around 50 applications, I am just wondering if I havent got enough experience or skills to impress employers.

Example of mine:
2 Months IT support experience
Knowledge of MAC, Windows, Android, IOS operating systems.
Able to set up computer machines from scratch.
Knowledge of different internet browsers and google apps.
2+ years of customer experience

If you as an employer saw this would you think "Not good enough"? Also please do show me an example of your CV.

Thanks.
Original post by Chicken Hulk
Can you post down some of the skills you have on show in your CV? I am not getting any interview from around 50 applications, I am just wondering if I havent got enough experience or skills to impress employers.

Example of mine:

If you as an employer saw this would you think "Not good enough"? Also please do show me an example of your CV.

Thanks.

You need to tailor the skills you're putting down on your CV to the job you're applying for. It sounds like you have more than enough experience to land a tech support role. I'm guessing that you're just failing to show how your skills are relevant to that particular role. Look at the skills the job adverts lists as necessary and try to demonstrate how you have those skills.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It's Mac not MAC...
Wat is google apps?
Wat is a computer machine?
I doubt an employer cares if you know about mobile stuff that much.
Reply 3
Original post by Matty919
It's Mac not MAC...
Wat is google apps?

I dont know if you really want me to answer them or not. Anyway i added them in purely because the place i volunteer for are running their whole operations through google apps, gmail, calenders etc. I know a lot of employers require IT Support when it comes to mobile devices so thats another reason i have added those in. Until i do some short courses theres nothing more to add.

Example of mine:

Thanks.

I check IT support vacancies regularly and there expect knowledge on network admin. Plus knowledge on Active Directory and Linux. Plus stuff like how to set up user accounts and all. Soft skills such Excellent Communication skills and teamwork are expected as well. Having a passion for Computers is another thing that there will look for which is what you demonstrate with being able to build computers from scratch.

I dropped out of my university place and decided to do foundation degree in Networking and Security, the qualification contains all the stuff needed to be IT technician plus it comes with work experience in the first year. Something I know Computing would have not provided, for me the Computing as a subject was too broad. Sorry for my rant, you gave me some good advice before so I say thank you for that.

Just check vacancies and look at job descripition, hopefully that would give you a better idea and also consider doing CompTIA A+ just to help you out.

Good luck heard CompTIA A+ would be helpful with gaining more skills that relates to IT support jobs. I haven't even started uni so I can say much more on this topic. Expand your jobsearch to easy 1st line helpdesk job as a starter and use that to gain some more experience.
(edited 10 years ago)

Example of mine:

Thanks.

I would recommend tailoring your skills to the position you're going for. I have been working in helpdesk/1st line roles for over a year now and usually put something like this -

'In one role I was working for a very large company and taking about 40 phone calls a day amongst other jobs eg. building systems around the office. This allowed me to learn about dealing with pressure and meeting the users requirements to allow them to continue their work.'

On my CV I also have examples of problems I came up against in the job roles, it's best to use real world examples if you can. I notice you haven't got Microsoft office on the list, may be worth putting that on as you'll spend a lot of time fixing outlook problems most likely! :tongue:
Reply 6
To the guy claiming that you have to tailor your CV for each job application-how is this possible? Surely changing your CV for every application is going to make applying for a single job absolute HELL? That would be a huge load of work.

I am trying to get into tech support but I don't have any experience. Suggestions? I did apply for volunteering as a "computer buddy" at my local library but as it happens one of my references let me down so it fell through.
Original post by MuffinHead
To the guy claiming that you have to tailor your CV for each job application-how is this possible? Surely changing your CV for every application is going to make applying for a single job absolute HELL? That would be a huge load of work.

I am trying to get into tech support but I don't have any experience. Suggestions? I did apply for volunteering as a "computer buddy" at my local library but as it happens one of my references let me down so it fell through.

Yes it may sound stupid but it definitely helps - To be honest though I mean tailoring your covering letter more, but it's still worth changing a couple of skills on your CV if they are relevant to the role. I'm not saying this is the same for everyone it's just what worked for me.

Yes it is a huge load of work to keep doing this but it's necessary to stand out in the piles of CV's - and if you have no experience then it definitely needs doing because the employers will already be put off by that (harsh but true) so little things like that really make a difference, trust me.

What sort of roles have you been applying for out of interest?
Reply 8
Just roles like support technician, help desk assistant, support analyst, etc. Quite low level stuff but I would be really happy even with an apprenticeship which is quite hard to get at my age (23) so yeah. I've never had more than a generic "thanks but no thanks" reply from the recruitment agents anyway, it's like a brick wall, TBH. Also I do have an HND in computing as well as a couple of BTECs.

Without any experience, standing out from the piles of CVs is nigh on impossible. But my CV is already pretty much tailored to technician roles now I think about it, anyway. I say that I enjoy practical, hands on work and problem solving and that I am fully familiar with Microsoft Office and that I enjoy helping people etc. There really is nothing else to add.
(edited 10 years ago)
Sounds like you've got the right idea and mindset mate - I'm 22 and it took me a fair while to break int the market , worked a few jobs which I hated but that was almost 2 and a half years ago now .... competition is fiercer than ever atm but I would say keep at it.

reed.co.uk and recruitment agencies are the way forward, I'm sure you'll hear something soon enough :smile:
Just roles like support technician, help desk assistant, support analyst, etc. Quite low level stuff but I would be really happy even with an apprenticeship which is quite hard to get at my age (23) so yeah. I've never had more than a generic "thanks but no thanks" reply from the recruitment agents anyway, it's like a brick wall, TBH. Also I do have an HND in computing as well as a couple of BTECs.

Without any experience, standing out from the piles of CVs is nigh on impossible. But my CV is already pretty much tailored to technician roles now I think about it, anyway. I say that I enjoy practical, hands on work and problem solving and that I am fully familiar with Microsoft Office and that I enjoy helping people etc. There really is nothing else to add.

Original post by Get_Lucky_606
Sounds like you've got the right idea and mindset mate - I'm 22 and it took me a fair while to break int the market , worked a few jobs which I hated but that was almost 2 and a half years ago now .... competition is fiercer than ever atm but I would say keep at it.

reed.co.uk and recruitment agencies are the way forward, I'm sure you'll hear something soon enough :smile:

Hello this is good information for me. I be doing a foundation degree in Networking and Security with Cisco CCNA for free as well. So I will be looking for IT tech support/network type of jobs. I got 2 years worth of customer service experience and done a level 3 BTEC in Business + IT. Lets say I get the foundation degree, Cisco CCNA, 4 years worth of customer service experience and plus Comptia A+ and maybe few months of volunteering/internship experience in IT support plus a passion for technology. Would this be enough to kickstart a decent career in IT at 2015 and make pity at my generic Computing graduate mates by any chance?.
Original post by Vibenation
Hello this is good information for me. I be doing a foundation degree in Networking and Security with Cisco CCNA for free as well. So I will be looking for IT tech support/network type of jobs. I got 2 years worth of customer service experience and done a level 3 BTEC in Business + IT. Lets say I get the foundation degree, Cisco CCNA, 4 years worth of customer service experience and plus Comptia A+ and maybe few months of volunteering/internship experience in IT support plus a passion for technology. Would this be enough to kickstart a decent career in IT at 2015 and make pity at my generic Computing graduate mates by any chance?.

Yeah I'm sure that will all help, anything that helps you stand out from the pack is good. I only have a BTEC and I managed to get into a junior role like I said and am now doing something slightly more senior - IT Managers that I have met seem to be mostly down to earth guys and they don't actually hold much value to qualifications as much as your character since you have to speak/help people daily. Cisco stuff is good to study the Engineers where I used to work did those sort of courses and seemed to make good money.

You obviously don't have a lot of experience in applying for jobs... Yes it is a monumental pain in the arse. But it's a requirement in the current climate. It is more or less the only way to land an interview now. You might get lucky sometimes, but 9/10 times you will not get through to interview without demonstrating the necessary skills on your CV by using this method.
Reply 13
I have a metric ****ton of experience applying for jobs thank you. All IT jobs are looking for the same basic mumbo jumbo anyway.
It's Mac not MAC...
Wat is google apps?

Its What not 'Wat'.
Reply 15
Original post by __Student__
Its What not 'Wat'.

Wat?
Reply 16
Get experience in other areas - show that you're versatile. Explain WHY you can do the things you can - don't just list. Explain your other skills, not just skills that relate to IT. Good luck.
Wat?

Wut?

But yeah the posts in this thread have the right idea, keep searching and I'm sure you will have luck :smile:
You wanted examples of CVs, but you didn't post yours. I'm assuming you don't just list them like that? "2 months IT support experience" - Where? any technologies you used? Remote support et cetera.

I'd also agree you have to tailor your CV, but if you're looking for a certain job you don't need to change it for every application. You will want to change the cover letter though, for example if one asks for MySQL and your CV already states experience with databases - you might want to write a little explaining what you've done with MySQL.

You say the jobs you're applying for all ask for the same mumbo jumbo, well make sure your CV demonstrates mumbo jumbo clearly and your cover letter highlights the key mumbo jumbo points from the job description.
Original post by beerbaitedballs
You wanted examples of CVs, but you didn't post yours. I'm assuming you don't just list them like that? "2 months IT support experience" - Where? any technologies you used? Remote support et cetera.

I'd also agree you have to tailor your CV, but if you're looking for a certain job you don't need to change it for every application. You will want to change the cover letter though, for example if one asks for MySQL and your CV already states experience with databases - you might want to write a little explaining what you've done with MySQL.

You say the jobs you're applying for all ask for the same mumbo jumbo, well make sure your CV demonstrates mumbo jumbo clearly and your cover letter highlights the key mumbo jumbo points from the job description.

True words, and yeah cover letter should be like an introduction to your CV and in a nutshell explain why you're applying for the role, which bits of your CV apply to it so definitely worth tailoring it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending