Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

I was just wondering, when doing a hypothesis test for the poisson distribution, which values of lambda should I quote for H0 and H1?

Say I had a question which said, a manufacturer produced 4 defective products out of every 100.

Then I was testing for a sample of 300, would I say H0: Lambda = 4, or H0: Lambda = 12.

Do I quote lambda with respect to the original observations or with respect to the sample?

The mark schemes seem to vary with the answers they give. :s

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would say you'd go for Lambda=12 for this question. You do it in relation to the sample as you are doing a hypothesis test on the sample not the original observations. If you used 4 as your lambda in a sample of 300 the results would be incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    If you are solving the problem with the context involving a sample of 300, then use λ=12.

Unless you are further required to perform calculations based on a sample of 100, then λ=4 . Do make sure you assign different labels to the random variables describing the two distinct scenarios.

Hope it helps. Peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzie232)
    I would say you'd go for Lambda=12 for this question. You do it in relation to the sample as you are doing a hypothesis test on the sample not the original observations. If you used 4 as your lambda in a sample of 300 the results would be incorrect.

(Original post by WhiteGroupMaths)
    If you are solving the problem with the context involving a sample of 300, then use λ=12.

Unless you are further required to perform calculations based on a sample of 100, then λ=4 . Do make sure you assign different labels to the random variables describing the two distinct scenarios.

Hope it helps. Peace.
    Alright thanks guys, thats what I thought too. Mark schemes can be confusing though with what they want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamburglar)
    Alright thanks guys, thats what I thought too. Mark schemes can be confusing though with what they want
    No problem. Peace.

PS: Your nick is real awesome.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.