The Student Room Group

Desperate for MALE participants!

Scroll to see replies

Done.

I have to say, the scenario was so unambiguous that most people would probably have given the same answers as me. Had we been given different accounts so that we needed to decide who to believe, the results might have been more revealing.

Pity that Lancaster is so far away from me... I too would love to fill in more for you than just the survey!
Original post by becca_c
Yeah I'm really interested in the whole victim blame area.
Thanks for doing it :smile:

I don't really see how anyone would blame the child here unless they're trolling your survey.
Original post by Voyager_2002
Done.

I have to say, the scenario was so unambiguous that most people would probably have given the same answers as me. Had we been given different accounts so that we needed to decide who to believe, the results might have been more revealing.

Pity that Lancaster is so far away from me... I too would love to fill in more for you than just the survey!

lmao. blunt.
Original post by Stanley90
Did anyone else get the feeling the questions were trying to catch you out like "HA! GOTCHA! YOU'RE A CLOSET MISOGYNIST YOU CREEP!". I was getting strong vibes of that.

Yeah there is definitely a heavy bias/agenda in that survey.

Rolled my eyes at the female victim/unknown male antagonist in the case study too.
Reply 24
Done.

Unfortunately in the time provided for my master's I had to limit the number of independent variables I could include. I'm currently investigating reactions to specific aspects of the scenario and so had to keep everything else as unambiguous as possible.

I'm looking to expand on it in future research though.
Reply 25
Original post by The_Last_Melon
I don't really see how anyone would blame the child here unless they're trolling your survey.

You'd be surprised.
Reply 26
Becca_C did you get my PM?
Original post by becca_c
I'm looking to expand on it in future research though.

Get a real job instead! You don't need a PhD in agenda-pushing!
Original post by becca_c
You'd be surprised.

I would suggest that anyone who blames the child has either not read the scenario properly or is mucking about. Of course, a paedophile would probably tell the story differently, including details of suggestive glances, body language or other behaviour by which the child signalled that she "wanted it".
Reply 29
I would suggest that anyone who blames the child has either not read the scenario properly or is mucking about. Of course, a paedophile would probably tell the story differently, including details of suggestive glances, body language or other behaviour by which the child signalled that she "wanted it".

There's a wealth of research into this area which highlights consistent victim blaming, with both child and adult victims. However, the effect does diminish the younger the child is but it's never eradicated.
It's disturbing, but it happens.
Reply 30
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Get a real job instead! You don't need a PhD in agenda-pushing!

I don't have an agenda.
I'm not too sure what exactly you meant with some of the questions.

"There are jobs that men can do better than women", for example. I'd agree with this if you had added "in general" there - for example, men are generally better at physical work/labour. The question seems to ask this in absolute terms though, i.e. "all men are better than all women in some jobs", which obviously isn't true. Would I be right to assume the question asks the latter?
Reply 32
Original post by justinawe
I'm not too sure what exactly you meant with some of the questions.

"There are jobs that men can do better than women", for example. I'd agree with this if you had added "in general" there - for example, men are generally better at physical work/labour. The question seems to ask this in absolute terms though, i.e. "all men are better than all women in some jobs", which obviously isn't true. Would I be right to assume the question asks the latter?

Yeah it asks the latter. Again, it's a pain but at this level I'm not able to create my own measures so had to use an existing one.
Original post by becca_c
Yeah it asks the latter. Again, it's a pain but at this level I'm not able to create my own measures so had to use an existing one.

Alright, fair enough.
Original post by becca_c
I'm pretty sure I've posted about 3 of these promising it'll be my last time, but I'm still a little short on male participants. Please anyone who hasn't already filled this in, would you mind completing it for my master's dissertation?

It shouldn't take you any longer than 10 minutes.

Thanks so much :smile:

http://www.survs.com/survey/CWPDYNKLQ6

submitted, good luck :wink:
Reply 35
Done

Original post by becca_c
I'd be happy to discuss the results with anybody if they were interested.

I'm intrigued to see if anyone blamed the girl?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by nishdish
Done

Might have to wait a while for that heh
Reply 37
Just finished.
Reply 38
Original post by nishdish
Done

Posted from TSR Mobile

I should be doing my analysis later this week so I'll let you know what I find.
Reply 39
If you are looking for male participants. This is the wrong forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending