The Student Room Group

Official: Aston University A100 2024 Entry Applicant thread

aston.png

Welcome to the Aston University A100 2024 Entry Discussion.

Aston A100 2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7252547

For general information click: https://www2.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/medicine-mbchb

For entry requirements click: (as above)

How to score your application:
GCSE/achieved A-level scoring: (out of 24)
https://www.aston.ac.uk/hls/aston-medical-school/advice-zone/faq
UCAT scoring: 12 points is for 3500+
11.5 points is for 3400-3490
11 points is for 3300-3390
10.5 points is for 3200-3290
10 pts - 3100-3190
9.5 pts - 3000-3090
9 pts - 2900-2990
8.5 pts - 2800-2890
8 pts - 2700-2790
7.5 pts 2600-2690
7 pts - 2500-2590
etc.

Cutoff last year: 31.5 (non-contextual), 31 (contextual)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know how WP is scored? Or have a link please? I can't see on their website
Original post by Holiday Dreamer
Does anyone know how WP is scored? Or have a link please? I can't see on their website

it’s not scored any differently, there’s just a lower cutoff as WP is cohorted
Does anyone know how WP is scored? Or have a link please? I can't see on their website. Think we have 32 points without but want to see if WP gives more
Original post by Holiday Dreamer
Does anyone know how WP is scored? Or have a link please? I can't see on their website. Think we have 32 points without but want to see if WP gives more

31.5 was cutoff for non WP last year, 30.5 was the cutoff for WP, so should be fine
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi
Would it be too risky to apply to Aston with 9999999998 at GCSE, 2680 b2, A*AA ? If I've calculated it correctly, think my score is the cut off last year. I've already chosen Sunderland, Keele and QUB but haven't decided on my 4th (it's between HYMS, Cardiff and Aston)
Thank you
Original post by roll0909
Hi
Would it be too risky to apply to Aston with 9999999998 at GCSE, 2680 b2, A*AA ? If I've calculated it correctly, think my score is the cut off last year. I've already chosen Sunderland, Keele and QUB but haven't decided on my 4th (it's between HYMS, Cardiff and Aston)
Thank you

i would pick aston, as there is less gcse grade inflation this yr so cutoff is unlikely to rise imo, and for hyms you score 5 points below last year's cutoff, and cardiff give additional consideration to welsh applicants.
Original post by reubenn05
i would pick aston, as there is less gcse grade inflation this yr so cutoff is unlikely to rise imo, and for hyms you score 5 points below last year's cutoff, and cardiff give additional consideration to welsh applicants.

Thank you so much for your advice :smile:
Reply 9
Is SJT band taken into account post interview either as mmi station or post interview
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by ss12468
Is SJT band taken into account post interview either as mmi station or post interview?

no, apart from as a tie breaker

Thank you. But would you say it is too much of a risk to apply to aston as well as sunderland and keele since they all have very few places? I'm thinking that Cardiff may be my only option even if a rejection is very likely because it has more places ?
Thank you. But would you say it is too much of a risk to apply to aston as well as sunderland and keele since they all have very few places? I'm thinking that Cardiff may be my only option even if a rejection is very likely because it has more places ?

so do you think you'll be more likely to get a rejection from aston than cardiff, bc aston has fewer places?
so do you think you'll be more likely to get a rejection from aston than cardiff, bc aston has fewer places?

yeah that's what I'm worried about. I feel like it's probably not a good idea to apply to three really small med schools because there are more applicants per place right? I'm really struggling to choose between them both for my 4th choice :/
yeah that's what I'm worried about. I feel like it's probably not a good idea to apply to three really small med schools because there are more applicants per place right? I'm really struggling to choose between them both for my 4th choice :/

i don't think there's necessarily more applicants per place; for aston they have a decent interview to offer ratio i think. for cardiff it really is an unknown, whereas with aston you match last year's cutoff, and this year there is less gcse grade inflation and aston is asking for A*AA at a level, which may squeeze out a few applicants.
i don't think there's necessarily more applicants per place; for aston they have a decent interview to offer ratio i think. for cardiff it really is an unknown, whereas with aston you match last year's cutoff, and this year there is less gcse grade inflation and aston is asking for A*AA at a level, which may squeeze out a few applicants.

yeah I see what you mean. I'll definitely think about it, as at the end of the day I want to choose places where I have the best chance. Thank you so much for your help :smile:
Reply 16
Does anyone know if Aston takes EPQ into consideration? I have achieved grades of AAA and not sure if it will be too risky? EPQ - A
(edited 7 months ago)
Would 32 points be too risky for non contextual? Is the 31.5 cut off likely to rise?
Original post by TiltedTurtle
Would 32 points be too risky for non contextual? Is the 31.5 cut off likely to rise?

that shouldn't be risky, a 32.5 cutoff would mean a 2800+ ucat and max gcse points, which seems unlikely, as that is a rise of 200 ucat points. because of gcse grade deflation and aston upping the a level requirements the cutoff is unlikely to rise by much if at all imo
(edited 7 months ago)
Would I qualify for a contextual offer at aston as I have received the UCAT bursary? I also would score 31 points so I think it is probably too much of a risk right? Would I be right in thinking that even if I am eligible for contextual offer, I would still have to meet the cut off of 31.5- or are there lower cut off for people who are contextual?
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending