The Student Room Group

Official: University of Cardiff A100 2024 Entry Applicants

1200px-Cardiff-university-vector-logo.svg.png

Welcome to the University of Cardiff A100 2024 Entry Discussion.

For general information click:
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde...medicine-mbbch

For entry requirements click on the link above

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, mention or advertise group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya, I've heard a few people say that applying to Cardiff as an English student is hopeless as Welsh students are favoured. Is this an actual part of their admissions policy or a thought people have because of the large amount of Welsh students there (which is natural from the amount of Welsh students that apply)?
Original post by Rhiannon29
Hiya, I've heard a few people say that applying to Cardiff as an English student is hopeless as Welsh students are favoured. Is this an actual part of their admissions policy or a thought people have because of the large amount of Welsh students there (which is natural from the amount of Welsh students that apply)?

yes, its says welsh and contextual students are given additional consideration. https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/2655755/UG-MEDIC-School-Level-Admissions-Policy-2023_ENG.pdf
Reply 3
Original post by reubenn05
yes, its says welsh and contextual students are given additional consideration. https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/2655755/UG-MEDIC-School-Level-Admissions-Policy-2023_ENG.pdf

Is the advantage substantial enough to prevent my application (2810 B1, 999999888) from being strong?
Is the advantage substantial enough to prevent my application (2810 B1, 999999888) from being strong?

cardiff provide no information on how much welsh applicants are advantaged, but from previous threads many welsh applicants get in with lower ucats/not perfect gcses, while many english applicants with top stats get rejected. cardiff firstly score gcses, then use ps as a tiebreaker, with ucat as a third tiebreaker. so if you wanted to maximise your chances at cardiff you could tailor your ps to the things they're looking for. ultimately, applying to cardiff is still risky though, and you will have much safer options.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
cardiff provide no information on how much welsh applicants are advantaged, but from previous threads many welsh applicants get in with lower ucats/not perfect gcses, while many english applicants with top stats get rejected. cardiff firstly score gcses, then use ps as a tiebreaker, with ucat as a third tiebreaker. so if you wanted to maximise your chances at cardiff you could tailor your ps to the things they're looking for. ultimately, applying to cardiff is still risky though, and you will have much safer options.

Thanks for the info, maybe not Cardiff then. What safer options might you suggest? I score well above the interview threshold for Nottingham so was thinking there, and then Plymouth and I thought I'd give Manchester a shot. So trying to find a fourth option really. Seems like Birmingham and HYMS put a decent weighting on contextual students, crossing them off for me I think. I would appreciate any suggestions
Thanks for the info, maybe not Cardiff then. What safer options might you suggest? I score well above the interview threshold for Nottingham so was thinking there, and then Plymouth and I thought I'd give Manchester a shot. So trying to find a fourth option really. Seems like Birmingham and HYMS put a decent weighting on contextual students, crossing them off for me I think. I would appreciate any suggestions

hyms is still fine for you, as you score 81 pts, cutoff last yr was 77. also look at aston, qub, lincoln, aru, edge hill, liverpool, uea.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
hyms is still fine for you, as you score 81 pts, cutoff last yr was 77. also look at aston, qub, lincoln, aru, edge hill, liverpool, uea.

This might be a silly question but with cutoff scores, does that mean everyone above that was invited to interview or is it just the lowest possible value someone might obtain to be able to interview?
This might be a silly question but with cutoff scores, does that mean everyone above that was invited to interview or is it just the lowest possible value someone might obtain to be able to interview?

everyone with that score and above was invited to interview
Reply 9
everyone with that score and above was invited to interview

Ahh Leicester's high cut-off suddenly makes a lot more sense haha
do Cardiff allow resit students with extenuating circumstances? received ABB in my A Levels this year and 2780 B2 in UCAT but have extenuating health circumstances backed by doctors+6th form.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 12
Read the Cardiff med schools admission doc for 2024 entry in detail. It is all prased slightly differently to 2023. Interpretation may be different or the same though !

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/2746502/MEDIC-School-level-Admissions-policy-2024.pdf

Re the resistance question. It says they don't normally consider them. However if you send them the extenuating circs info they can make a decision BEFORE you apply. Deadline isn't mentioned but I would get it in soon.
Reply 13

There are two different things in play. Some unis may set a level below which your application may not even be considered. Personally I consider this a threshold.

Then if they are straight UCAT unis then there is a point below which they don't interview, sheffield for example. That's the cut off for me.

Some unis do a complex scoring system. Then people ask them what is their UCAT cut off for interview and they will tell them (or publish) the lowest UCAT of the people they interviewed.

These are often irrelevant really as you don't know how those individuals did in the other components of the scoring system, whether they were contextual, or even whether they had a guaranteed interview for example. So it's a moot point. So treat that sort of published UCAT cut off with care.

With Cardiff the PS is important. Read the published admissions policy and also the section of the website that relates to entry requirements to gain clues for what they are looking for.
International student Ucat 2790 band3
Achieve A level math got A*
GCSE score 24/27
From Cardiff's policy ,I will recieve additional point for A*Math . Is it correct? Is it hard for international student to get into Cardiff?
Reply 15
International student (currently in a grammar school in Northern Ireland)
IGCSE 9999998887 27/27
Achieved a level 1A in Chinese
Achieved AS level AAAA phy chem bio maths
Predicted A*A*A*A* in phy chem bio maths
Would I have a chance?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by fyw
International student (currently in a grammar school in Northern Ireland)
IGCSE 9999998887 27/27
Achieved a level 1A in Chinese
Achieved AS level AAAA phy chem bio maths
Predicted A*A*A*A* in phy chem bio maths
Would I have a chance?

On the basis that you are intl for your fee status...

Read through thier application policy linked to above and scour their website for hints of what they are looking for in their PS.

You haven't said what your UCAT score is, but the level 2 and level 3 predictions are strong so no obvious reason you would be filtered out at that stage.

There is a lot of negativity on here about non-welsh people applying, this is perceived as a potential issue for RUK students (because there a view that they favour Welsh applicants). However the places for international applicants are counted separately so I cannot see it being as much of a risk as if you were RUK.

That said, Cardiff gets thousands of applicants every year, and their website isn't massively clear on either what they are looking for or how they score it. So it is more of a risk in that way than other med schools, esp as they look at PS prior to interview.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by GGIN
On the basis that you are intl for your fee status...

Read through thier application policy linked to above and scour their website for hints of what they are looking for in their PS.

You haven't said what your UCAT score is, but the level 2 and level 3 predictions are strong so no obvious reason you would be filtered out at that stage.

There is a lot of negativity on here about non-welsh people applying, this is perceived as a potential issue for RUK students (because there a view that they favour Welsh applicants). However the places for international applicants are counted separately so I cannot see it being as much of a risk as if you were RUK.

That said, Cardiff gets thousands of applicants every year, and their website isn't massively clear on either what they are looking for or how they score it. So it is more of a risk in that way than other med schools, esp as they look at PS prior to interview.

Thank you so much for your detailed response and all the information. I’m taking my ucat on 27/9 (I’m averaging around 2600-2700 in my mocks :frown: )
Reply 18
Hello
I was wondering what universities I could possibly apply to. I’m not sure if it is still a possibility for me.

My predicted grades are :A*A*A*
My GCSE’s:
9chem
9physics
8bio
9english lit
8english lang
8history
7 maths
7r and p
7 Spanish
6drama

My UCAT score was quite low,
Reply 19
Original post by Adeleo123
Hello
I was wondering what universities I could possibly apply to. I’m not sure if it is still a possibility for me.

My predicted grades are :A*A*A*
My GCSE’s:
9chem
9physics
8bio
9english lit
8english lang
8history
7 maths
7r and p
7 Spanish
6drama

My UCAT score was quite low,

Hi
There is a thread from last year on slowest and quickest medicine offers across all universities, I would look through posts there or post this question on the thread for this year. Based on comments on TSR unless you are a Welsh student I don’t think Cardiff would be a good use of one of your choices, Nottingham have a foundation course for medicine which might be worth looking at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending