The Student Room Group

Desperate for MALE participants!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by becca_c
Yeah it asks the latter.

... oops. Should have been clearer! Now I look like a mysogynistic prick. Or my IP address does anyway.
Reply 41
Original post by Voyager_2002
Done.

I have to say, the scenario was so unambiguous that most people would probably have given the same answers as me. Had we been given different accounts so that we needed to decide who to believe, the results might have been more revealing.

Pity that Lancaster is so far away from me... I too would love to fill in more for you than just the survey!

Ew, creepy. You don't talk to girls like that IRL do you? :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Get a real job instead! You don't need a PhD in agenda-pushing!

I would suggest that anyone who blames the child has either not read the scenario properly or is mucking about. Of course, a paedophile would probably tell the story differently, including details of suggestive glances, body language or other behaviour by which the child signalled that she "wanted it".

Can't get over some of the conceited responses here! The OP obviously knows a hell of a lot more than you guys, she's obviously studied a lot of research/ literature in this field. You have to. I don't think she's asking for such uneducated criticisms. You can't just guess at the aims of the study, it doesn't work like that.

I can't believe some of you guys think you're so wonderful you can just blindly pick holes in someone's masters research project. Crazy.
Reply 43
I finished it!
No Problem :smile:
Original post by pandabird

Can't get over some of the conceited responses here! The OP obviously knows a hell of a lot more than you guys, she's obviously studied a lot of research/ literature in this field. You have to. I don't think she's asking for such uneducated criticisms. You can't just guess at the aims of the study, it doesn't work like that.

I can't believe some of you guys think you're so wonderful you can just blindly pick holes in someone's masters research project. Crazy.

Because academic research should be accepted unquestioningly?

I'm not interested in appeals to authority or engrained methodological bias. You shouldn't be either.
Reply 45
Done.
Reply 46

I'm not interested in appeals to authority or engrained methodological bias. You shouldn't be either.

It shouldn't be critiqued by people who are uneducated on the matter. That's the whole concept behind peer-reviews you know.
You know nothing of what she does, so who are you to pick holes? You think your words are worth gold to her?
(edited 10 years ago)
Done :smile:
Reply 48
Done! I hope it helps :smile: Good luck with your work!

Firstly, I agree with your comment about the "agenda-pushing" remark, and I am not best pleased at being quoted "in the same breath". Anyway, surely if a researcher asks us to complete a questionnaire then it is reasonable for a respondent to comment on the experience, as a kind of quid pro quo.

As it happens, I have a fair amount of experience of social research (ten years of doing it since completing my PhD) so I know a thing or two about research methods. While I don't know the subject area, I have a reasonable idea of how other respondents are likely to interpret the questions posed, and why there is a danger that these questions may not capture the fairly subtle issues that are being explored. However, I suspect I am responding to someone who believes that men have no contribution to make to the social sciences, so no comment I could possibly make would be valued.
Reply 50
Firstly, I agree with your comment about the "agenda-pushing" remark, and I am not best pleased at being quoted "in the same breath". Anyway, surely if a researcher asks us to complete a questionnaire then it is reasonable for a respondent to comment on the experience, as a kind of quid pro quo.

As it happens, I have a fair amount of experience of social research (ten years of doing it since completing my PhD) so I know a thing or two about research methods. While I don't know the subject area, I have a reasonable idea of how other respondents are likely to interpret the questions posed, and why there is a danger that these questions may not capture the fairly subtle issues that are being explored. However, I suspect I am responding to someone who believes that men have no contribution to make to the social sciences, so no comment I could possibly make would be valued.

If you have experience in social research then yes you do have more right to provide constructive criticism, but your comments weren't really constructive. I just really dislike people thinking they have the right to criticize another's research when they know nothing on the matter. You get a lot of students on TSR, who think really highly of themselves because of their A-level predicted grades. I apologise I assumed you were one of those.

And why would I think you shouldn't be valued in the social sciences because you're male? That's an odd thing to say. :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
Done and good luck :smile:
Reply 52
Thanks everybody for filling in my survey :smile:

In regards to the discussion it's apparently prompted, if I was conducting this research as a qualified psychologist with adequate backing and funding then I'd have ironed out any and all issues. However, I'm a master's student with limited time and resources. We are told we have to use existing measures and produce specific scenarios which eliminate the effects of any confounding variables which I would not have the time to fully investigate.
I did similar research to this for my undergraduate study and found significant levels of victim blaming, which is why I carried on to my master's. I have no agenda, I have merely been told I have to pick 4 IVS to investigate. These are the ones I have chosen.
Reply 53

I value the discussion but I have to admit, I wasn't expecting this :P I was just sick of the length of time it was taking to gather my data and thought I'd find some willing participants.

I also appear to have found some unwilling ones.
Reply 54
Original post by becca_c
I value the discussion but I have to admit, I wasn't expecting this :P I was just sick of the length of time it was taking to gather my data and thought I'd find some willing participants.

I also appear to have found some unwilling ones.

Just out of interest, does your uni have a requirement for undergrad psychology students to complete a compulsory set amount of research participation hours?

I'm an undergraduate and we have to do something like 10 hours worth of research participation every term, it can be a pain but it makes things a hell of a lot easier for researchers or 3rd years! Although, they'll still probably struggle to find enough boys. :P

Can I ask, how are you finding doing a masters?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 55
Just out of interest, does your uni have a requirement for undergrad psychology students to complete a compulsory set amount of research participation hours?

I'm an undergraduate and we have to do something like 10 hours worth of research participation every term, it can be a pain but it makes things a hell of a lot easier for researchers or 3rd years! Although, they'll still probably struggle to find enough boys. :P

Can I ask, how are you finding doing a masters?

Yeah, we had to earn a certain amount of 'points' so we can get access to an online participation pool in third year.

I've enjoyed the masters. It's not much different to third year but a lot of the assignments are more practical and applicable to the job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending