The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Is it normal/correct that Imperial's conditional offer for me is A*A*AA? (Math, triple sciences Alevel)
I understand that they normally ask for grades for only 3 subjects, or did I understand the offer statement wrongly?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 81
Original post by beaubeautifiel
Is it normal/correct that Imperial's conditional offer for me is A*A*AA? (Math, triple sciences Alevel)
I understand that they normally ask for grades for only 3 subjects, or did I understand the offer statement wrongly?

They seem to be giving out offers for every subject you're currently taking. Mine is A*AAA even though their standard offer is A*AA.
Reply 82
Original post by Zottula
If I understand you correctly, commuting from home to Imperial could result in a 3-4 hour round trip every day. Most courses have a pretty full timetable and you may have to go in most days 9-5, which means leaving home at 7ish, and not getting back again until after 7. You might find this pretty tiring, especially with the heavy work load.

Some people to commute to university, and they seem happy enough. But if you are the sort of person who is more social and wants to get involved in things, living closer to campus is better. You get to make new friends in halls, attend all of the hall social events and making use of the gym, student union, societies etc is also more convenient. Whether the cost of living in 2nd/3rd/4th year is higher or not depends on what sort of room you had in first year. The shared bedrooms (twin/triple rooms) are a great way to save money in halls, but when you move out in 2nd year things will be a lot more expensive. On the other hand, if you were in a single en suite for first year, you'll probably find something cheaper (although more basic) when moving out for 2nd year. I stayed in halls for the duration of my course, so I'm afraid I don't know much about private accommodation but maybe someone else here will.

The student loan shouldn't affect you in terms of getting a mortgage or other loans. Student loans don't go on credit files. Also the loans are repaid through the payroll just like income tax, so you won't be chased by debt collectors.

If you have more questions about student finance, we have a student financial support section - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=545

Thanks for your reply.. my course would be EEE (electrical/electronic engineering), so could you tell me how hectic it may become with labs and workload from experiences of people you may have known?
I know on the imperial website it states that it will cost around 11k to live out, but if I go back home during holidays and save money on food etc, do you think I can manage with 7-8k or is that too big an ask?

Cheers
Reply 83
Original post by Stickman
Thanks for your reply.. my course would be EEE (electrical/electronic engineering), so could you tell me how hectic it may become with labs and workload from experiences of people you may have known?
I know on the imperial website it states that it will cost around 11k to live out, but if I go back home during holidays and save money on food etc, do you think I can manage with 7-8k or is that too big an ask?

Cheers

It depends on the person. In general I'd say EEE has a high work load, but there are people who will work solidly all year round, and there are others who work less, them cram around exams/deadlines. Some people are more organised than others. It just depends on what your work ethic is and how organised you are.

Well let's just put it this way - I live on less than 7-8k :tongue:. So it's doable.
Reply 84
Original post by Zottula
It depends on the person. In general I'd say EEE has a high work load, but there are people who will work solidly all year round, and there are others who work less, them cram around exams/deadlines. Some people are more organised than others. It just depends on what your work ethic is and how organised you are.

Well let's just put it this way - I live on less than 7-8k :tongue:. So it's doable.

Sorry for the double post.

Yeah, for me, I have to work my *** off in order to get good grades. I'm not one of those who can skive through the year and get the grades easily. So with that in mind do you think 3-4 hours is a waste of time spending on travel?

Haha, are you living in halls atm? Can I have your budget please :tongue:
Reply 85
I've applied for Chemical Engineering and still not heard back, even though my classmate who has applied for the same course has. Should I remind them as I believe the last day is Monday?

Thanks.
Reply 86
Original post by kkohli17
I've applied for Chemical Engineering and still not heard back, even though my classmate who has applied for the same course has. Should I remind them as I believe the last day is Monday?

Thanks.

Remind them? They don't just forget about their applicants...
Reply 87
Sorry for the double post.

Yeah, for me, I have to work my *** off in order to get good grades. I'm not one of those who can skive through the year and get the grades easily. So with that in mind do you think 3-4 hours is a waste of time spending on travel?

Haha, are you living in halls atm? Can I have your budget please :tongue:

Erm well it depends. If it's going to be a straight forward commute where you can study on the train then it might be ok. But if you have to keep making changes, and it's busy etc then it's perhaps a bit much. It also depends on how involved you want to get with university life. Are you planning on joining clubs/societies etc? Do you want to attend union events? These things might be more of a struggle if you are living further out. I do know people who are commuting a similar distance, but in general they seem less involved.

I will send you a message when I get the chance about budgets etc.
Reply 88
Original post by Zottula
Erm well it depends. If it's going to be a straight forward commute where you can study on the train then it might be ok. But if you have to keep making changes, and it's busy etc then it's perhaps a bit much. It also depends on how involved you want to get with university life. Are you planning on joining clubs/societies etc? Do you want to attend union events? These things might be more of a struggle if you are living further out. I do know people who are commuting a similar distance, but in general they seem less involved.

I will send you a message when I get the chance about budgets etc.

I see. I definitely plan to take part in clubs and societies that would further my engineering experience; I have a few in mind i.e. the projects that I would like to be involved in. Also, I would like to join the Cricket society which may mean that I'll be training there in the vicinity.

My trip would consist of a bus, and a few tube changes. I won't have time on one particular mode of transport for the 1.5-2 hours. What exactly would union events entail? Just nights out at clubs?

Thanks a lot, take your time. :smile:
Reply 89
Sorry, does anyone know if I do the MEng in Chemical Engineering at Imperial, whether I can only do a PhD further or can I also do an MSci at another university?

Thanks.
Reply 90
I see. I definitely plan to take part in clubs and societies that would further my engineering experience; I have a few in mind i.e. the projects that I would like to be involved in. Also, I would like to join the Cricket society which may mean that I'll be training there in the vicinity.

My trip would consist of a bus, and a few tube changes. I won't have time on one particular mode of transport for the 1.5-2 hours. What exactly would union events entail? Just nights out at clubs?

To be honest I don't really frequent the union :tongue: But you can check what's on at the union on the website.

There's a good thread you should read - Should I live at home or in halls? FAQ and chat megathread

4th year about to graduate. (Also worked at union for a year part time while doing my degree)

Biggest night is a wednesday/sports night. Every couple of weeks there's a ACC - big sports night! Usually absolutely rammed.

Fridays are the 2nd busiest.

Sat/Sunday are relatively quiet as people go elsewhere/clubbing in London.

They also have pub quiz nights and some events on through the year.

Join as many societies as you can in first year, meet loads of people. Have a great time :wink:
Hey there, I'm an AS Student looking to apply for Imperial in my A2 year for Computer Science- Computer Games! I recently visited London on a trip and absolutely loved it but my main concern is the overall cost.

How much has it cost for your first year in Imperial? Is it as costly and expensive as you'd think or is it more affordable? The cost is literally the only thing that is giving me second thoughts about going.

Also, which close-range accomodation would you recommend to live in? I've heard so many problems when it comes to Imperial's accomodation (mushrooms?)

Thanks!
Reply 93
Original post by Leechayy
Hey there, I'm an AS Student looking to apply for Imperial in my A2 year for Computer Science- Computer Games! I recently visited London on a trip and absolutely loved it but my main concern is the overall cost.

How much has it cost for your first year in Imperial? Is it as costly and expensive as you'd think or is it more affordable? The cost is literally the only thing that is giving me second thoughts about going.

Also, which close-range accomodation would you recommend to live in? I've heard so many problems when it comes to Imperial's accomodation (mushrooms?)

Thanks!

It is affordable in first year if you are happy to share a bedroom and live a little further out. For example Fisher Hall is only a 15-20 minute walk away from college, and twin bedrooms are £80 per week. For a 38 week contract this is just over £3000 for the year on rent. A couple of halls have triple rooms which are even cheaper. Food costs aren't really any more expensive than elsewhere. Going out and drinking etc is likely to be more expensive, but if you are happy to cut back on this then it shouldn't be a problem. Basically you need to come up with a sensible budget and then stick to it.

It gets more complicated in 2nd/3rd/4th year when you move out of halls and go into private accommodation as rents can be quite high, although some people are lucky enough to have to opportunity to remain in halls.

It really depends on what you consider affordable to be and what your budget is.
Original post by Zottula
It is affordable in first year if you are happy to share a bedroom and live a little further out. For example Fisher Hall is only a 15-20 minute walk away from college, and twin bedrooms are £80 per week. For a 38 week contract this is just over £3000 for the year on rent. A couple of halls have triple rooms which are even cheaper. Food costs aren't really any more expensive than elsewhere. Going out and drinking etc is likely to be more expensive, but if you are happy to cut back on this then it shouldn't be a problem. Basically you need to come up with a sensible budget and then stick to it.

It gets more complicated in 2nd/3rd/4th year when you move out of halls and go into private accommodation as rents can be quite high, although some people are lucky enough to have to opportunity to remain in halls.

It really depends on what you consider affordable to be and what your budget is.

Tbh, it'd depend on the financial support I'd receive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by Leechayy
Tbh, it'd depend on the financial support I'd receive

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed. As you've only just finished your AS levels, you still have time to look into finances and also visit other universities before you have to apply. Even then, Imperial is just one of your 5 choices, so you could still decide much later on.

Good luck with AS results :smile:.
Reply 96
Hello, I have been informed by Admissions that my application for 2014 entry was unsuccessful and the reason was following:
"final grade of 88.11% that you have achieved in your bachelor degree does not meet the College minimum requirement of 90% so we were unable to consider your application."

It is very disappointed occasion for me, especially that my application could not even be considered. I can't agree with that. Because the "final grade" 88.11 described at the end of my transcript is just the mean value of all 47 course grades. There is a high influence of my 1st year grades and there are several such additional courses like History etc. that is not related with the Computer Science, but affect as the same as other Subject related course grades to the final grade in a way that my university defines it (simple average).

I was not an excellent student 3 years ago, but I made essential progress since then. I was an excellent student for 2 years and I did my best at the last year scoring up to 98. I graduated this year, but at the same time I have more than 2 years work experience in Computing. It was really hard to combine work with full-time study, I didn't sleep at nights and matched these A levels, increased my grade up to 88.11 (only 2 points less) but it is impossible to get over 90 in such conditions, even if I score 100 for each course in the last year. Because the coefficients of years are the same. For instance in UK, my friend studies at UCL, the final grade there calculated with respect to coefficients 1: 3: 3: 5 for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th year bachelor study respectively. It provides him the opportunity to influence his grades for the rest of his study. But in my case, it's impossible if refer to the mean value. However they may take into account my grades on individual courses or make some coefficients...

I wrote the letter on such context but I haven't received a response.
I would like to know if I have a chance my grades to be reassessed with respect to my last achievements and individual units?
Is it possible after stating in my application status "unsuccessful" in Student e-Service?
Reply 97
Hi, I've applied to imperial biochem and accepted it as my firm choice. However, I'm really worried that the course might be a bit boring and social life disappointing. Can anyone please share how they're doing at imperial? Is the workload really that heavy? How is social life? How about teaching quality and student support? I'm considering going to my insurance choice (UCL) yet I just want to be absolutely sure about this decision as I believe that Imperial is also a great university. Thanks!!!
I'm doing maths at Imperial next year.
1) Will I need a laptop?
2) Do you have an idea what my timetable will look like?
3) How much time will I need to spend outside of those hours?
I have just received my A-levels results of which I have recieved A*BBac in Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Further Mathematics(AS) and History(AS) respectively. I was 2 ums off an A in A-level physics. I undertook these exams under extenuating circumstances of my grandfather passing away 4 weeks before my first exam. I am reapplying to univerisity next year completing the Further Mathematics A-level and boosting my Physics and Biology grade. I achieved 3 A*'s in GCSE and 7A's whilst achieving AAABC at AS level. I am reapplying to take mathematics at university. I hope to achieve A*A*A*A and a 1 in STEP I. It's a cliche saying on the student room but is there any point applying to the big universities?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending