The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Best Internet Provider in Selly Oak?

Hi, Just moving into Selly Oak in July, wondering if anybody has any advice on the quickest internet in the area?

So far I know to avoid Virgin Media like the plague, but I have no idea who's the best. Basically me and my friends prioritise quicker internet over cheap phone line of a TV box deal. We do a lot of xbox live gaming online, streaming films online that kind of thing.

If anybody has any advice towards packages or best ISP's or just general moving in advice, that would be great thank you!
Reply 1
I was one of those moaning about Virgin Media last academic year 11/12. Due to the time it would have taken to transfer the service away from Virgin in the new house we moved into for 12/13, we reluctantly stayed with them. It's been miles better this year. We're only a few doors down the road so I wouldn't say it's due to a different local connection, but probably due to lots of people shifting away to other providers. It'd be interesting to see if there was a cyclical change in its standard as people heard they were fine, switched to it, making their speed slower, so people switch away and so on.

Not sure if that's useful, but if you want some general advice, try and contact the provider you want to go with a few weeks before you actually move in. That way you can book in any appointments so they can be done as soon as you've moved in.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Also

Reply 3
Woah, curveball on the virgin media front. Reckon its safe to go for them?
Reply 4
Its a bit of a mixed bag, a lot of people opted out of VM this year which probably contributed toward the increased speed. Whether or not this stays the same is dodgy.
Reply 5
It's the summer though, so there aren't many students around using the internet so that might be the cause of the increased speed.
Reply 6
Original post by cathysmile
It's the summer though, so there aren't many students around using the internet so that might be the cause of the increased speed.

In terms of that speed test above, maybe so. But it was pretty speedy during term time, and there's not been a noticeable change in the speed now we're in holidays.
Reply 7
Hi. Sorry to bring back this thread again but I'm moving into Selly Oak for the next academic year and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Virgin Media's internet connection has been like recently? Thanks
It's miserable - they completely oversold! One should bring them to court! I am in my third year, Bristol Road area - has never been as bad as in the moment. I wonder what an alternative provider is? Apparently lot's of protest, and their answer is: the City doesn't provide a license fast enough to extend their services. But that's not the point - the point is that they sell far many more access-points than their capacity is good for.
Reply 9
Virgin's internet service has been crap. I'm a 1st year living in Selly Oak and past maybe 8pm at night I get speeds like this using a ****ing WIRED connection. We pay for the 156 Mb package too. £40 per month. They say it will be 'fixed' in March 2015 so I'll update this then but for now http://www.speedtest.net/result/3881639472.png
Original post by Fatcoin
Virgin's internet service has been crap. I'm a 1st year living in Selly Oak and past maybe 8pm at night I get speeds like this using a ****ing WIRED connection. We pay for the 156 Mb package too. £40 per month. They say it will be 'fixed' in March 2015 so I'll update this then but for now http://www.speedtest.net/result/3881639472.png
Internet is miles better now. They actually fixed it.
Original post by Fatcoin
Internet is miles better now. They actually fixed it.

Thanks for the update
Original post by Substitution
Thanks for the update
Was fixed ahead of schedule too.
Sorry to bring up the thread again but we have just left virgin due to constant issues......we are thinking of going with plusnet or talktalk? Is anyone using either of these services?
i know some people have issues but my house is fine
Hey guys!
I'm at Birmingham and I've been with virgin media for the past 2 years and in my experience they've been really good. I've also recently become a student ambassador for them so if you want to get £25 of your next wifi bill message me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending