The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Need feedback on student accommodation of University of Birmingham

Hello,

If you have any experience with the following student accommodations would please share your experience with me specially regarding safety? Actually, we found some threads in a student forum about crime incidents at Selly Oak. As an international student, it’s hard to shortlist my accommodation preferences without having visited the places in person. So, any feedback on these halls would be really helpful. If you have any suggestions about any halls outside of this list, please share that as well. Also, could you please give me an idea about how much time it takes to walk from The Vale to Poynting Building or Physics buildings?

Oak Brook Park

Jarratt Hall

Battery Park

Metalworks

Bournbrook

Chamberlain

Mason

Elgar Court

Thanks for all your help.
Reply 1
My son has applied for Elgar, we think it's a half hour walk to physics building. But he's tall and has long strides!!
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Wolf52
My son has applied for Elgar, we think it's a half hour walk to physics building. But he's tall and has long strides!!

Thank you!
Hi! I'd say Selly Oak is relatively safe :smile:. I've walked from campus to my accommodation (Selly Oak) several times at midnight and I felt quite safe as a female international student! Of course, I would try to avoid going out late at night especially during football games since there's a bar (Circo) and a pub (The Goose) in Selly Oak which can get quite loud during these times.
Also, the canal pathway that links Battery Park (and Sainsbury) to the West Gate of the campus is convenient, especially if you're heading to QE hospital or the medical school, but please do NOT use it at night because it gets very dark. Crime does occur in Selly Oak but I'd say it's slightly exaggerated on the internet. Overall, I felt more unsafe when visiting London universities (personally) because I've heard more crime stories there...
And walking to anywhere from the Vale in general is quite far since it's the furthest accommodation. I'd say Selly Oak is the most convenient accommodation village since it has lots of supermarkets and restaurants nearby. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending