The Student Room Group

University of Manchester vs University of Birmingham

I got all my 5 offers from my universities of choice in the UK and initially, I was pretty set on going for the University of Birmingham (btw I'm going to do law) however since I got the offer form Uni of Manchester has become more appealing and I've also heard a few negative things about the safety in Birmingham. Now I'm conflicted between the two because I find them similar in cost, the offers are also exactly the same and in terms of diversity they are more or less similar. Please advice on which you would pick and maybe some pros and cons of each. Also the requirement for the 2 unis is A* AA i got AAB in my AS and think i can move up to get that grade but you're never really sure you know, so i also had the thought of firming uni of Warwick which is offering AAA. Any advice? Thank you
Reply 1
Certainly firm up Warwirck - a great uni. I like the Birmingham uni campus over the Manchester uni site - long sprawl along Oxford Road versus a beautiful campus in a nice part of Birmingham. I would choose Birmingham over Manchester.
Reply 2
Original post by mike23mike
Certainly firm up Warwirck - a great uni. I like the Birmingham uni campus over the Manchester uni site - long sprawl along Oxford Road versus a beautiful campus in a nice part of Birmingham. I would choose Birmingham over Manchester.

Hows the safety like in Birmingham over Manchester, that's a very big concern of mine
Reply 3
Birmingham uni is much safer than Manchester. The uni is a huge campus with uni accommodation - Vale Village - a 15-20-minute walk to the north into Edgbaston and non-uni accommodation is a 15-20-minute walk to the South - Selly Oak. In the second and third year, students move out to Selly Oak which is a very student-centric part of the city - Aldi nearby, with lots of pubs and bars.
Reply 4
Original post by knee_.cole
I got all my 5 offers from my universities of choice in the UK and initially, I was pretty set on going for the University of Birmingham (btw I'm going to do law) however since I got the offer form Uni of Manchester has become more appealing and I've also heard a few negative things about the safety in Birmingham. Now I'm conflicted between the two because I find them similar in cost, the offers are also exactly the same and in terms of diversity they are more or less similar. Please advice on which you would pick and maybe some pros and cons of each. Also the requirement for the 2 unis is A* AA i got AAB in my AS and think i can move up to get that grade but you're never really sure you know, so i also had the thought of firming uni of Warwick which is offering AAA. Any advice? Thank you

Manchester, Birmingham and Warwick are all in the same reputational tier for law:

Tier 1: Oxford, Cambridge

Tier 2a: LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham
Tier 2b: Bristol, Nottingham

Tier 3a: Warwick, Exeter, Leeds, Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham
Tier 3b: QMUL, York, Sheffield, Cardiff, SOAS

So, just pick the one you feel most comfortable in.
Original post by RoyalBeams
Manchester, Birmingham and Warwick are all in the same reputational tier for law:

Tier 1: Oxford, Cambridge

Tier 2a: LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham
Tier 2b: Bristol, Nottingham

Tier 3a: Warwick, Exeter, Leeds, Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham
Tier 3b: QMUL, York, Sheffield, Cardiff, SOAS

So, just pick the one you feel most comfortable in.

RoyalBeam always coming in clutch with the uni ‘tier’ list 🔥

Probably one of the more accurate lists I’ve seen tbf. Firm either uni it doesn’t matter.
Reply 6
Original post by knee_.cole

With Warwick vs Birmingham/Manchester it really depends what sort of environment you want to be in! Birmingham’s campus has a really village feel to it but it’s still in a big city! If you would prefer to hang out on campus all the time and don’t mind being in the middle of nowhere then go for Warwick! If you really want to be in a big city with lots going on then definitely choose one of the other two!

Manchester is the better law school and better uni in general but I wouldn’t say the difference between the two was astronomical at all. Depends on which course you prefer (less important as you are studying for law but still there will be minor differences) and where you want to live really! I’d also agree that Manchester feels more grungey than Birmingham as a university? Birmingham’s campus is really beautiful and green whilst Manchester is really spread across the entire city and some parts of it are a little “rough” but it depends on the individual. I know loads love the Manchester social scene and haven’t had anything bad happen to them.
Reply 7
Original post by mike23mike
Birmingham uni is much safer than Manchester. The uni is a huge campus with uni accommodation - Vale Village - a 15-20-minute walk to the north into Edgbaston and non-uni accommodation is a 15-20-minute walk to the South - Selly Oak. In the second and third year, students move out to Selly Oak which is a very student-centric part of the city - Aldi nearby, with lots of pubs and bars.
is there not many yr1s at selly oak village? specifically oak brook

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending