The Student Room Group

A-Level students, could you cope with redoing some GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by WilliamBlake1
I will most likely end up redoing a few GCSEs alongside my AS-Levels.
And because of the new rules, all exams have to be redone, so I am looking at nine-eleven exams (depending on what I redo) on top of all the AS-Level exams that I will sit. Bearing in mind, this will all be around May-June.

The subjects I will be taking:
Maths
Further Maths
English Lit
History

I will also spend the holidays before sixth form teaching myself as much as the AS content as possible.

Do you think it is doable?

Thanks

It's perfectly doable, but tbh unis will be more impressed if you did badly at GCSE and then managed to achieve better at AS. The workload shouldn't be a problem, but I would question whether you really need to redo them- what did you get first time around in the ones you're retaking? ASs are far more important than GCSEs, and to echo earlier comments they're only really important for medicine.
Original post by emma2013
It's perfectly doable, but tbh unis will be more impressed if you did badly at GCSE and then managed to achieve better at AS. The workload shouldn't be a problem, but I would question whether you really need to redo them- what did you get first time around in the ones you're retaking? ASs are far more important than GCSEs, and to echo earlier comments they're only really important for medicine.

I am yet to get my results but they wont be Cambridge Economics standard.

Hmm, I read that for really competitive courses, GCSEs are quite important.
Original post by emma2013

So you think that I can do it?
I think more than anything I require some sort of reassurance.
Reply 23
So you think that I can do it?
I think more than anything I require some sort of reassurance.

Yesh you could do it - you have good predicted grades and gcses aren't that hard- it's just whether it is worth the stress?
Plus A level results are what matters more
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CHANELNO5
Why exactly do you want to resit your GCSEs? I can't think of any course where all GCSE grades need to be A*/A, the only thing I can think of is Medicine but I'm also fairly sure they don't accept re-takes. I actually think this applies to most unis, a lot do not accept GCSEs retaken after the age you were supposed to do them, also it's not very challenging to have to sit GCSEs after you've done AS.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it as there is no guarantee that any unis will look at the resit grade and disregard your first sitting. Also, AS are far more important, unless you got all Ds/Us in your GCSEs I would recommend working hard and getting good AS as these can offset bad GCSEs. There is no point getting bad AS grades with good (re-sat) GCSE results.

In answer to your question, yes, it is physically possible if you're very good at managing time and keep on top of things but I would in no way encourage it.

I hope you don't think I'm being too negative or anything, I'm just trying to help you see the situation properly. I was in a similar situation (but with AS not GCSE) and I was very desperate so I has lots of crazy, unrealistic expectations and I thought people were just trying to put me off, looking back my situation must have seemed crazy to them and they were just trying to help me be realistic.

My situation: I moved school in December of my AS year (due to a death in the family) so I missed the January AS exams so I ended up doing all the exams in June, I messed up, I ended up getting BCCC. I resat them all (All 9 AS papers) the following January of my A2 year (this Jan) and got AAAA and now am doing my A2 exams. So, yes, it can be done if dedicated, but especially since some unis won't even look at it, I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote me if you have any other questions.
If you do decide to go through with it, Good Luck :smile:

What you said about Unis not accepting the resits. After doing some research someone on this forum actually asked Cambridge,LSE etc on opening days and they said that they did count them. I will also email the Unis for confirmation.
Reply 25
And because of the new rules, all exams have to be redone, so I am looking at nine-eleven exams (depending on what I redo) on top of all the AS-Level exams that I will sit. Bearing in mind, this will all be around May-June.

Maths
Further Maths
English Lit
History

I will also spend the holidays before sixth form teaching myself as much as the AS content as possible.

And it is it doable to a high standard? (95%+ UMS and A*s in the GCSE subjects)

I am also willing to work very hard, and have no life if need be

:smile:

Thanks

Hiya :smile:

As a student accepted onto a Cambridge course (for history, but I have friends who applied for economics etc) I think I can offer some good insight here.

1) Firstly, how 'bad' were your GCSEs? What did you end up getting?
2) If you are applying to read Economics at basically one of the best courses in the world, why on earth haven't you decided to study it at sixth-form? I believe it's rather detrimental to your future application. Make a decision whether to study English Lit or History, instead of both, then stick to it. Alternatively, if you can't bear the thought of dropping either, I would question your intent to study Economics in the first place. If your school doesn't 'do' Economics for sixth form, move schools.
3) If you apply to study Economics at Cambridge, three things are vital: 1) Suitable A-levels (as already highlighted, if you're not even doing Economics then I don't think they are), 2) High, high UMS grades (I'm talking 97-98%< realistically for something as competitive as Economics in your top three subjects - in your case, Maths, FM and Economics) and 3) Not exactly 'vital,' but something interesting re work experience to demonstrate that you really enjoy it as a SUBJECT, not just because it's a means to become an investment banker.

I really think that if you study four AS levels, wishing to attain top marks in order to be seriously considered for a place, get relevant work experience, construct a great personal statement and read widely around Economics in general, then you have quite enough to be getting on with. The difficulty of taking GCSEs is memorising as much information as possible. You could always decide to take a gap year if needs be. Personally (and I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear but it's my opinion) the fact that you haven't even put economics down demonstrates to me that you aren't as into it as you think you are. Have you considered something like Land Economy or Law?

EDIT: why the neg?!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sophia 1
Yesh you could do it - you have good predicted grades and gcses aren't that hard- it's just whether it is worth the stress?

I think it is, if it gets me what I need.

I really wish I had revised at least a small amount during study leave.
Original post by T_x
Hiya :smile:

As a student accepted onto a Cambridge course (for history, but I have friends who applied for economics etc) I think I can offer some good insight here.

1) Firstly, how 'bad' were your GCSEs? What did you end up getting?
2) If you are applying to read Economics at basically one of the best courses in the world, why on earth haven't you decided to study it at sixth-form? I believe it's rather detrimental to your future application. Make a decision whether to study English Lit or History, instead of both, then stick to it. Alternatively, if you can't bear the thought of dropping either, I would question your intent to study Economics in the first place. If your school doesn't 'do' Economics for sixth form, move schools.
3) If you apply to study Economics at Cambridge, three things are vital: 1) Suitable A-levels (as already highlighted, if you're not even doing Economics then I don't think they are), 2) High, high UMS grades (I'm talking 97-98%< realistically for something as competitive as Economics in your top three subjects - in your case, Maths, FM and Economics) and 3) Not exactly 'vital,' but something interesting re work experience to demonstrate that you really enjoy it as a SUBJECT, not just because it's a means to become an investment banker.

I really think that if you study four AS levels, wishing to attain top marks in order to be seriously considered for a place, get relevant work experience, construct a great personal statement and read widely around Economics in general, then you have quite enough to be getting on with. The difficulty of taking GCSEs is memorising as much information as possible. You could always decide to take a gap year if needs be. Personally (and I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear but it's my opinion) the fact that you haven't even put economics down demonstrates to me that you aren't as into it as you think you are. Have you considered something like Land Economy or Law?

The funny thing is, I have considered Economics and that is one of my options but I wanted to change it because the Cambridge website said it was not necessary.
I havent received my GCSEs yet so I dont know.

Do you mind me asking what you got?
Reply 28
Just focus on your AS levels!
Reply 29
The funny thing is, I have considered Economics and that is one of my options but I wanted to change it because the Cambridge website said it was not necessary.
I havent received my GCSEs yet so I dont know.

Do you mind me asking what you got?

For GCSEs? 10 A*s. Even if something is not deemed 'necessary' on the website, I think it's highly strange - and would be seen as odd - if an applicant who was able to study economics at their school didn't do it, having applied for Economics. You need to show dedication. Saying this in your best interest here.
Reply 30
I think it is, if it gets me what I need.

I really wish I had revised at least a small amount during study leave.

It'll be ok, tbh you can get away with minimal revising for gcses ( i know someone who did none and got all A*s- admittedly he is a genius but still) but I hear that is certainly not the case for a level.
There's no point regretting it now- there's nothing you can do. Like I said you may surprise yourself and do better than expected...
If you really want it that bad you can do it- but you may change your mind as you study your a levels and decide on another course? Also, Cambridge is gonna be intense an you seem like quite a laid back person so you may decide it's not for you... and if you do really want it, you can still do it- don't lose hope- why not email them for advice?
Original post by T_x
For GCSEs? 10 A*s. Even if something is not deemed 'necessary' on the website, I think it's highly strange - and would be seen as odd - if an applicant who was able to study economics at their school didn't do it, having applied for Economics. You need to show dedication. Saying this in your best interest here.

Wow, that is so good, well done :smile:

I did originally choose it but then I wanted to change it to English Lit because it of not being a traditional subject.
Original post by sophia 1
It'll be ok, tbh you can get away with minimal revising for gcses ( i know someone who did none and got all A*s- admittedly he is a genius but still) but I hear that is certainly not the case for a level.
There's no point regretting it now- there's nothing you can do. Like I said you may surprise yourself and do better than expected...
If you really want it that bad you can do it- but you may change your mind as you study your a levels and decide on another course? Also, Cambridge is gonna be intense an you seem like quite a laid back person so you may decide it's not for you... and if you do really want it, you can still do it- don't lose hope- why not email them for advice?

And my school is hardly great so we werent taught the content for anything. So if I walked into a Chemistry exam not doing any of my own revision, I would know nothing.
Reply 33
Wow, that is so good, well done :smile:

I did originally choose it but then I wanted to change it to English Lit because it of not being a traditional subject.

Yep, classic mistake right there. Don't do things because you think the examiners will be impressed by the fact you've done something slightly 'off-the-wall.' English Literature, for any subject, is not off-the-wall. Russian maybe, but not English Literature, even if it is for Economics. Plenty of people applying for medicine have studied English/music/Latin/greek at A-level for instance, and it's seen as a nice 'distraction' from the core studies.

If I were applying to read Economics at Cambridge, I would do:

Maths, FM, Economics, humanity/a language.

If you don't do Economics and had the option to do so, I guarantee the question of 'why' will be raised (if you get an interview in the first place) AND you will be viewed as relatively uncommitted. It's one of the most intensive degrees there are. Why on earth are you giving the opportunity to fellow candidates to demonstrate how focused they are in comparison?
Original post by T_x
Yep, classic mistake right there. Don't do things because you think the examiners will be impressed by the fact you've done something slightly 'off-the-wall.' English Literature, for any subject, is not off-the-wall. Russian maybe, but not English Literature, even if it is for Economics. Plenty of people applying for medicine have studied English/music/Latin/greek at A-level for instance, and it's seen as a nice 'distraction' from the core studies.

If I were applying to read Economics at Cambridge, I would do:

Maths, FM, Economics, humanity/a language.

If you don't do Economics and had the option to do so, I guarantee the question of 'why' will be raised (if you get an interview in the first place) AND you will be viewed as relatively uncommitted. It's one of the most intensive degrees there are. Why on earth are you giving the opportunity to fellow candidates to demonstrate how focused they are in comparison?

Right, so I will stick to Economics. What do you think I should do about the Poor GCSEs situation?

Like you said its one of the most intensive degrees out there, and if I cant cope with the added pressure of a few GCSEs then it really isnt for me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35

Maths
Further Maths
English Lit
History

And it is it doable to a high standard? (95%+ UMS and A*s in the GCSE subjects)

I am also willing to work very hard, and have no life if need be

:smile:

Thanks

Please, please don't retake any GCSEs. I am also looking to apply to Cambridge for Economics, and I know others who are too.

I know many, many people who were in your situation. One of my best friends in the year above me thought he had done absolutely rubbish in his GCSEs even though he was usually a really good student. He ended up getting 5A*s and wanted to retake some others to get up to 7 or 8. Fortunately he didn't and instead he focused on getting immensely high UMS scores at AS Levels. It turns out Cambridge look at AS UMS about 10 times more than they do at GCSEs and he ended up getting an average of about 98% and he got in. Obviously he also had read lots of books, had a great personal statement and had a genuine interest in the subject (essay competitions etc.)

The only reason you think that people who have high amounts of A*s at GCSE get into the top unis is because these are also the people who are likely to also work hard and get high UMS at AS Level. However, there are also many others who only achieve their full academic potential in 6th form and also go on to do very well. Someone with good GCSEs and bad AS Levels is much less likely to get into a top University than someone with bad GCSEs and good AS Levels. This is because AS Levels are more of a true test of ability and skill in a subject as opposed to GCSEs, which boil down to being glorified memory tests for the most part.
Reply 36
Right, so I will stick to Economics. What do you think I should do about the Poor GCSEs situation?

Like you said its one of the most intensive degrees out there, and if I cant cope with the added pressure of a few GCSEs then it really isnt for me.

Listen to me: relatively few people could cope with GCSEs+high, high AS levels. I couldn't. I worked hard for GCSEs and certainly wouldn't have coped with doing them + AS levels at the same time. My friends who are now studying law/economics/history etc at Cambridge/Oxford couldn't have either, I guarantee. Stop beating yourself up. Wait for results, consider your options, and go from there.
Reply 37
Original post by Giant
Please, please don't retake any GCSEs. I am also looking to apply to Cambridge for Economics, and I know others who are too.

I know many, many people who were in your situation. One of my best friends in the year above me thought he had done absolutely rubbish in his GCSEs even though he was usually a really good student. He ended up getting 5A*s and wanted to retake some others to get up to 7 or 8. Fortunately he didn't and instead he focused on getting immensely high UMS scores at AS Levels. It turns out Cambridge look at AS UMS about 10 times more than they do at GCSEs and he ended up getting an average of about 98% and he got in. Obviously he also had read lots of books, had a great personal statement and had a genuine interest in the subject (essay competitions etc.)

The only reason you think that people who have high amounts of A*s at GCSE get into the top unis is because these are also the people who are likely to also work hard and get high UMS at AS Level. However, there are also many others who only achieve their full academic potential in 6th form and also go on to do very well. Someone with good GCSEs and bad AS Levels is much less likely to get into a top University than someone with bad GCSEs and good AS Levels. This is because AS Levels are more of a true test of ability and skill in a subject as opposed to GCSEs, which boil down to being glorified memory tests for the most part.

Couldn't have put it better. WilliamBlake1, TAKE NOTE OF THIS!
Original post by T_x
Listen to me: relatively few people could cope with GCSEs+high, high AS levels. I couldn't. I worked hard for GCSEs and certainly wouldn't have coped with doing them + AS levels at the same time. My friends who are now studying law/economics/history etc at Cambridge/Oxford couldn't have either, I guarantee. Stop beating yourself up. Wait for results, consider your options, and go from there.

Right. Okay, thanks for the help. I just need results day to hurry up and come because no knowing is killing me. Although, even if I decide not to redo 3/4 GCSEs I am definitely going to have to at least do Chemistry again.

Well, heres to waiting.
Reply 39
Yes, if I am allowed to redo them I well.

I have recently fallen in love with Economics, and the Economics course at Cambridge.

The thought of not being able to study their because of some GCSEs has shattered me. I am willing to work very very hard.

Cambridge don't care that much about GCSEs, they're much more concerned about AS. My friend didn't do so great at GCSE (she did well just not straight As/A*s) and she has an offer for Cambridge. She did do very well at AS though. Personally think its much better just to focus on AS, as unless you really haven't done well across the board they're not going to mind; unless you did badly in Maths or English - that might limit your chances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending