The Student Room Group

GCSE Spoken Language Grade

I recently did my GCSE Spoken Language exam. I got a Merit but I was aiming for a Distinction. Overall, I think my speech was good. However, I think I might have fell down on the tone of my speech as I didn’t speak very passionately and I looked down at my notes a little bit too. I’m not sure whether I should ask my teacher if I can retake the exam or ask her to review the grade she gave me. I would be so grateful for additional insight on this situation. Thank you.
Original post by PinkReaper
I recently did my GCSE Spoken Language exam. I got a Merit but I was aiming for a Distinction. Overall, I think my speech was good. However, I think I might have fell down on the tone of my speech as I didn’t speak very passionately and I looked down at my notes a little bit too. I’m not sure whether I should ask my teacher if I can retake the exam or ask her to review the grade she gave me. I would be so grateful for additional insight on this situation. Thank you.

Your "speaking and listening" grade is entirely separate from your GCSE English Language grade, and one has no impact on the other. So why bother with the retake to get the merit up to a distinction? Better to focus any available time on the GCSE itself, as that's the only grade which really matters.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Your "speaking and listening" grade is entirely separate from your GCSE English Language grade, and one has no impact on the other. So why bother with the retake to get the merit up to a distinction? Better to focus any available time on the GCSE itself, as that's the only grade which really matters.

True, I understand what you mean but it just feels a bit incomplete…
True, I understand what you mean but it just feels a bit incomplete…

Understood. I've just read through Spoken Language Endorsement for GCSE English Language, which is common to all exam boards, and it makes no mention of a retake of the endorsement even being an option. From where have the got the impression that this is a possibility? Did you teacher mention it?

If you were to resit to whole of GCSE English Language, you could opt to resit the Spoken Language Endorsement. But that seems like real overkill!
Reply 4
Understood. I've just read through Spoken Language Endorsement for GCSE English Language, which is common to all exam boards, and it makes no mention of a retake of the endorsement even being an option. From where have the got the impression that this is a possibility? Did you teacher mention it?
If you were to resit to whole of GCSE English Language, you could opt to resit the Spoken Language Endorsement. But that seems like real overkill!

Oh that’s a shame. I assumed you could retake it if your teacher hasn’t sent the video of your speech to the exam board.
Reply 5

I think as long as your teacher hasn’t sent it to the exam board (as my speech was recorded) you can redo do it and they can use that video to send to them. On the other hand, if my teachers have already sent the grades and videos off it’s over for me lol.
Reply 6

I think that as long as your teacher hasn’t sent the grades and videos of the speeches to the exam board you can redo it with them. If not I guess I will just have to stick with my grade. :/
Reply 7

Ok. To be honest I’ve had some time to think about it now and even though I can probably redo it (as long as my teachers haven’t submitted the evidence and my grade) I don’t think I will bother doing it again. Thank you so, so much for your help though.
Ok. To be honest I’ve had some time to think about it now and even though I can probably redo it (as long as my teachers haven’t submitted the evidence and my grade) I don’t think I will bother doing it again. Thank you so, so much for your help though.

You're very welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending