The Student Room Group

A-Level students, could you cope with redoing some GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maccy
Cambridge don't care that much about GCSEs, they're much more concerned about AS. My friend didn't do so great at GCSE (she did well just not straight As/A*s) and she has an offer for Cambridge. She did do very well at AS though. Personally think its much better just to focus on AS, as unless you really haven't done well across the board they're not going to mind; unless you did badly in Maths or English - that might limit your chances.

No, Maths and English are fine and are my stronger subjects.
Yeah, I think it is pretty ridiculous to redo that many GCSEs.

Im moving to a new school for sixth form, and I asked if I could sit a Latin GCSE as my school do not offer a Language ( I self teach Latin anyway as the Language is very interesting) This, coupled with a Chemistry retake (my Chemistry grade is going to be hideous and will have to be redone) should lift me up to at least 5/6A*s HOPEFULLY.

THANK YOU EVERYONE
Reply 41
Original post by WilliamBlake1
I am yet to get my results but they wont be Cambridge Economics standard.

Hmm, I read that for really competitive courses, GCSEs are quite important.

Haha well I have a friend who got into oxford and had at least one E lurking around in her GCSEs! The lesson is, that if it's not integral to your subject don't worry! If you were applying for geography and had a disastrous geography gcse then yes, maybe, but unrelated subjects then they won't really be fussed!

So you think that I can do it?
I think more than anything I require some sort of reassurance.

Yes, it's perfectly doable! I do all sorts of things outside my A2s and have managed to juggle them all, so as long as you have the time-management and the willpower necessary, then there won't be a problem :smile:
Original post by emma2013
Haha well I have a friend who got into oxford and had at least one E lurking around in her GCSEs! The lesson is, that if it's not integral to your subject don't worry! If you were applying for geography and had a disastrous geography gcse then yes, maybe, but unrelated subjects then they won't really be fussed!

Yes, it's perfectly doable! I do all sorts of things outside my A2s and have managed to juggle them all, so as long as you have the time-management and the willpower necessary, then there won't be a problem :smile:

Wow, an E that is shocking considering Oxford apparently care more about GCSEs.
Did she have any extenuating circumstances?
Reply 43
Wow, an E that is shocking considering Oxford apparently care more about GCSEs.
Did she have any extenuating circumstances?

nope! It just wasn't a particularly related subject to what she wanted to study, it just shows that they're not fussed about GCSEs really, it's the interview that's make or break. The ASs are what get you that far, and if you get an interview and like you then they won't really care about gcses that much
(edited 10 years ago)
I will most likely end up redoing a few GCSEs alongside my AS-Levels.
And because of the new rules, all exams have to be redone, so I am looking at nine-eleven exams (depending on what I redo) on top of all the AS-Level exams that I will sit. Bearing in mind, this will all be around May-June.

The subjects I will be taking:
Maths
Further Maths
English Lit
History

I will also spend the holidays before sixth form teaching myself as much as the AS content as possible.

Do you think it is doable?

And it is it doable to a high standard? (95%+ UMS and A*s in the GCSE subjects)

I am also willing to work very hard, and have no life if need be

:smile:

Thanks

This is definitely doable. The key is to be well disciplined with your revision and work throughout the year and if you are ambitious enough to take on this task then I am sure you will be fine. Good luck!
Reply 45
What you said about Unis not accepting the resits. After doing some research someone on this forum actually asked Cambridge,LSE etc on opening days and they said that they did count them. I will also email the Unis for confirmation.

Oh, okay, sorry I didn't realise that. I'm surprised Cambridge accept them, especially since they're quire anti-resits and have the SAQ to fill out. However, I still stand by my original statement, OP if you are going to jeopardise your AS results for GCSEs, don't. It's not worth it. If you can cope with both, fine. If not, don't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Yes, if I am allowed to redo them I well.

I have recently fallen in love with Economics, and the Economics course at Cambridge.

The thought of not being able to study their because of some GCSEs has shattered me. I am willing to work very very hard.

Also, you may be aware of the fact that Cambridge places a LOT of significance on AS UMS, and don't really look at GCSEs as much as other places do. Especially for something like Econ I would recommend working on getting as high UMS as you can. Out of interest, what were your GCSEs, they can't be that bad if you're aiming for Cambridge.

EDIT: 3A* with the rest being A/B is fine! Honestly, those grades will serve you just fine. My advice would be concentrate on AS UMS
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
I got to a very bad Islamic Girls School.

I know that Cambridge care less about GCSEs, but Economics is quite competitive.

are you a girl ?!
Original post by opengeek
are you a girl ?!

Yes.
Would it be possible to resit my unit 3 gcse maths in november ? Even though I'll be doing my AS levels ? This is in order to get a B in Maths. How would uni's know about you re sitting the exam ?
Original post by 21BEAU
When you apply to university you have to state every single exam you have taken, when it was taken and the results. Additionally you have to state any exams you are retaking, extras you are taking, when you are taking them and any expected grades.
It can be checked if you retake as it's all on computer databases.

Is that only for A level or gcse as well ?
Reply 51
I'm not doing my ALEVELS anymore but I'm just going to say that I worked really hard on both GCSE's and my Alevels and I got the grades that I wanted which was beyond what I needed to get into University. I would never redo them again, the sleepless nights, the extra work that I put into it all, the losing weight, hair. Yeah never again. To be honest all exams just make me go crazy.
Reply 52
Honestly, by the time you get to A-level, GCSE's just don't matter unless you want to go to Oxbridge or do a really competitive course like medicine. You're far better off leaving them and concentrating on AS's. Get good AS results to put on your UCAS form and they will be far more impressive than a couple more A's/A*'s at GCSE.
Original post by MHay
Honestly, by the time you get to A-level, GCSE's just don't matter unless you want to go to Oxbridge or do a really competitive course like medicine. You're far better off leaving them and concentrating on AS's. Get good AS results to put on your UCAS form and they will be far more impressive than a couple more A's/A*'s at GCSE.

Is Optometry in that same bracket ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending