The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Personal Statements Questions and Advice 2014 Entry Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zakariya6991
I'm currently applying for Medicine (Cambridge,Oxford,UCL,Imperial and Kings)
:colondollar: *Please don't say anything stupid.

I need serious help in writing a statement . PLEASE HELP

Thanks

Um, you DO know you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge, right? :erm:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Um, you DO know you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge, right? :erm:
This is the first time that I've heard of this. Why though?
Reply 82
This is the first time that I've heard of this. Why though?

Basically due to numbers, anyone who is good enough to go to oxford is good enough to go to cambridge. If people could apply to both it would double the applicants but the numbers of places wouldn't change, making the admissions process much harder
Original post by Munrot07
Basically due to numbers, anyone who is good enough to go to oxford is good enough to go to cambridge. If people could apply to both it would double the applicants but the numbers of places wouldn't change, making the admissions process much harder

so what should i apply for? aND WHATS OXBRIDGE

Another university ideally? :L I've heard Queen Mary's/St Georges is good for medicine. No idea if this is true or not though.

It's a term used for both Oxford and Cambridge :smile:
Reply 85

OXford and camBRIDGE, apply to one of them, go and look at them, look at the courses, choose which you prefer (im applying to oxford because i prefer the biology course). Then look around and choose another uni :smile: it might be good to have a non london uni too other than oxford/cambridge

You also need to apply for 1 non-medicine course
Reply 87
Also you should be aware that you can only put down four applications for medicine, your fifth choice being another related course. You might want to do a bit more research on applying for medicine before starting your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by TenOfThem
Are you serious?

its surprising how many people don't know what oxbridge is -_- i asked my friend "are you apply to oxbridge?" to which she replied "no, i want to go to cambridge" -_-
its surprising how many people don't know what oxbridge is -_- i asked my friend "are you apply to oxbridge?" to which she replied "no, i want to go to cambridge" -_-

Someone asked me: "Are you applying to Oxford, Cambridge or Oxbridge?"
Me: "Probably Cambridge".
They then asked: "Oh, why not Oxbridge?"

Luckily someone came to my rescue "Duuuuude..."
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by The Polymath
Someone asked me: "Are you applying to Oxford, Cambridge or Oxbridge?"
Me: "Probably Cambridge".
They then asked: "Oh, why not Oxbridge?"

oh dear -_- i think oxbridge university will not accept them for that, they will be most offended, but cambridge will be happy :P
Reply 91
OXford and camBRIDGE, apply to one of them, go and look at them, look at the courses, choose which you prefer (im applying to oxford because i prefer the biology course). Then look around and choose another uni :smile: it might be good to have a non london uni too other than oxford/cambridge

Oxford and Cambridge are non-London Universities.
Reply 92
Original post by MEXING
Oxford and Cambridge are non-London Universities.

I know, i meant excluding them, since they had kings, ucl and imperial, all london based it might be an idea to have another non london one. I did say other than cambridge/oxford :smile:
Reply 93
I'm currently applying for Medicine (Cambridge,Oxford,UCL,Imperial and Kings)
:colondollar: *Please don't say anything stupid.

I need serious help in writing a statement . PLEASE HELP

Thanks

Hello,

I think that you should apply to 4 medicine-related universities: Cambridge, UCL and Manchester. The fourth university should be a middle table university with good medicine base. I think that the 5th university should be non-medicine but related such as Bio-medical sciences or something like that.

You cannot apply to both Oxford and Cambridge. For me, I think that Cambridge will be better for medicine.

Here is the league table for this year
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-medicine

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 94
I know, i meant excluding them, since they had kings, ucl and imperial, all london based it might be an idea to have another non london one. I did say other than cambridge/oxford :smile:

Okay. I wanted to clarify. :smile:
Original post by MEXING
Hello,

I think that you should apply to 4 medicine-related universities: Cambridge, UCL and Manchester. The fourth university should be a middle table university with good medicine base. I think that the 5th university should be non-medicine but related such as Bio-medical sciences or something like that.

You cannot apply to both Oxford and Cambridge. For me, I think that Cambridge will be better for medicine.

Here is the league table for this year
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-medicine

Good luck. :smile:

1. That is last years league table, the 2014 ranking has been released.
2. League tables are not relevant in medicine, all the courses results in the same qualification regulated by the GMC and where you go is blinded when you apply for your first jobs post-graduation. The location, vibe and course style are the only factors which matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by carcinoma
1. That is last years league table, the 2014 ranking has been released.
2. League tables are not relevant in medicine, all the courses results in the same qualification regulated by the GMC and where you go is blinded when you apply for your first jobs post-graduation. The location, vibe and course style are the only factors which matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are correct. League tables are not very relevant to Medicine. However, I was trying to give the original poster an idea of the kind of institutions that are out there.
Original post by MEXING
You are correct. League tables are not very relevant to Medicine. However, I was trying to give the original poster an idea of the kind of institutions that are out there.

Ahh right. Fine, it's just one of those myths that needs busting every year among applicants and pre-applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by carcinoma
Ahh right. Fine, it's just one of those myths that needs busting every year among applicants and pre-applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, many medicine applicants may want to follow the league tables and apply for top-tier universities on the league tables based on their rankings.
I started Duke of Edinburgh Gold award, I have been volunteering for just under a year and have halfway completed my skills and physicals but I gave up on the expeditions.

Is it even worth mentioning in my statement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending