The Student Room Group

Are you a fan of hollister??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suzylemonade
It's not skinny, I agree but I wouldn't say that it's too large. And it's definitely not obese

Most people think it is: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2020882

It depends on how tall you are but for some people it will be obese, for some it will be healthy but for most it will be overweight.
Original post by ed-
Which are no doubt branded..

Not obviously branded (i.e plastered down the front of it) or even by a famous or high street brand. They're just nice looking, good quality shirts.
Reply 62
Can't stand the store. For exactly the same reasons as The Bearded Man. And they don't sell size 16 because 'it's too large'.
Never have bought anything from there, and I never will

It is too large, anything above 12 is big imo.
Original post by wtfCharlie
I didn't say not overweight, I said too large. Most people are a little overweight, and size 16 really isn't that big, certainly not big enough for a clothes shop to refuse to make clothes for that size.

Just because "most people" are overweight doesn't mean it's okay. Have you seen how fat the average person is?
Original post by ed-
Thanks for that incredibly biased and subjective opinion, you just changed my entire outlook on what's an acceptable weight...

It's called aiming at a target audience not a refusal to stock. Quite frankly I don't think endorsing size 16 as healthy is a good thing anyway... No one's complaining about their lack of size 0 clothes are they? Because that is not a healthy weight either...

Fine. I'll make it less 'biased' and 'subjective'.

And why are you getting so touchy about it, anyways? How does my not liking Hollister because I think what they do is ridiculous affect you in any way?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by manchesterunited15
Most people think it is: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2020882

It depends on how tall you are but for some people it will be obese, for some it will be healthy but for most it will be overweight.

I agree with you on that. A short person that's size 16 could be too large, yeah
Original post by manchesterunited15

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2342207/Is-size-16-normal--danger-These-women-Britains-common-dress-size-youd-expect-healthy-battery-medical-tests-came-surprising-worrying-results.html

^And
Okay, maybe size 16 is a little too large
Original post by ed-
Thanks for that incredibly biased and subjective opinion, you just changed my entire outlook on what's an acceptable weight...

It's called aiming at a target audience not a refusal to stock. Quite frankly I don't think endorsing size 16 as healthy is a good thing anyway... No one's complaining about their lack of size 0 clothes are they? Because that is not a healthy weight either...

But they DO have size zero clothes...I believe their xxs is the equivalent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't stand the store. For exactly the same reasons as The Bearded Man. And they don't sell size 16 because 'it's too large'.
Never have bought anything from there, and I never will

The quality of their products is awful considering their pricing too, its just a brand name people are buying into and to be part of their exclusive group of attractive wealthy people.
Original post by RossClements
The quality of their products is awful considering their pricing too, its just a brand name people are buying into and to be part of their exclusive group of attractive wealthy people.

Yeah, exactly
Original post by snailsareslimy
Gilly Hicks is just for girls, so if you're wanting to go down the preppy line, A&F, Ralph Lauren, Jack Wills and Hollister are the main 'brands' for it, I guess.

To be honest, I don't think A&F/Hollister/Gilly Hicks quality is that good, I've had t shirts which have holes in them after a few washes, a pair of PJ bottoms which have holes in them too after wearing them a few times, and a cardigan I got went all 'bally', too. I haven't had the same issues with Jack Wills.

Please, Helly Hansen is the best brand
I don't.

Some of the workers are a bunch of *******. Way too arrogant.

The girls who work there, think they're so hot, but really aren't.

That Bearded Man summed it up perfectly.
Reply 72
I don't mind it.

As long as you don't wear gaudy t-shirts with HOLLISTER SO CAL written on them.

A logo is fine.

Same with all clothes.
I used to buy t-shirts from there when I was 13...but now? Hell no. It's ridiculously overpriced, and the clothes aren't even that nice or of good quality. Besides, I'm completely against their use of sweatshops.
Original post by Peaches & Cream
I used to buy t-shirts from there when I was 13...but now? Hell no. It's ridiculously overpriced, and the clothes aren't even that nice or of good quality. Besides, I'm completely against their use of sweatshops.

They were actually sued for their use of sweat shops so have probably since adjusted. Also sweat shops do have advantages but that's a different debate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Infinity_4652
WOW!! You all hate hollister??? I thought our entire generation loves hollister! I was planning to go to the brent cross store some time soon and update my wardrobe. Is gilly hicks or abercrombie & fitch any better?

Gilly hicks have much prettier and ditsy designs in my opinion and they have lovely pyjamas and underwear,I got a bra and fours of knickers in their sleep for under £20 in the sale so I was pleased with that :smile:
Reply 76
Overpriced, average designs, disappointing quality, dingy 'theme stores', models employees who think the metaphorical sun shines out of their backsides, and worst of all (and this is a personal pet hate) no price tags on anything. I guess recoiling in horror wouldn't fit their 'aspirational lifestyle' :rolleyes: Add to this their questionable ethics with regards to manufacturing and it suddenly seems much less attractive.
Original post by alex193
Overpriced, average designs, disappointing quality, dingy 'theme stores', models employees who think the metaphorical sun shines out of their backsides, and worst of all (and this is a personal pet hate) no price tags on anything. I guess recoiling in horror wouldn't fit their 'aspirational lifestyle' :rolleyes: Add to this their questionable ethics with regards to manufacturing and it suddenly seems much less attractive.

I know quite a few people who work for hollister and Abercrombie and they don't at all believe 'the sun metaphorically shines out of their backside' - they're normal people who needed a job and happened to fit the look the Abercrombie and hollister go for so you shouldn't make such sweeping generalisations. They do have price tags on their clothes. I've addressed the point about about their supposed use of sweat shops.

No one seems to be able to offer a counter argument to my point about them simply having a target market.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JPL9457
hypocrit

Hypocrite*
Do you want a definition as well? You definitely dont know the meaning.
Original post by lucine.B
Hmm can't deny that Ralph Lauren are good i think i prefer PRADA though...not sure i can never decide haha

Not too much of a fan of PRADA but yeah they are definitely good, recently went to some outlet stores and PRADA store had a very long queue outside the door.

Quick Reply

Latest