The Student Room Group

EPQ topic?

My deadline is incredibly soon, and I'm completely stuck. I was thinking I could find a way to incorporate some TV shows or movies I enjoy into the project so I'm not only writing something I'm passionate about but also something I have a lot of pre-existing knowledge of. I've always had a passion for film, media, creative writing, etc., but I'm having a hard time figuring out what question to ask. I spent a lot of my childhood and teen years involved in fan spaces for a wide range of different shows/books, and I would really love the opportunity to put the otherwise useless knowledge I have on how those communities work to use - besides, I know people who have written EPQ's about much stranger things lmao.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what question I could ask? I'd been trying to use things like, "How much influence do fans have over media?", but I didn't get very far. Maybe something like, "Has social media ruined TV audiences?", and using show-specific examples of the good and bad sides of fans online? But I don't even know if that makes sense, and I'm a bit worried that focusing too heavily on the effect of social media would count as something I already study, since I take Sociology.

Thanks for the help.
Original post by etherealarachnid
My deadline is incredibly soon, and I'm completely stuck. I was thinking I could find a way to incorporate some TV shows or movies I enjoy into the project so I'm not only writing something I'm passionate about but also something I have a lot of pre-existing knowledge of. I've always had a passion for film, media, creative writing, etc., but I'm having a hard time figuring out what question to ask. I spent a lot of my childhood and teen years involved in fan spaces for a wide range of different shows/books, and I would really love the opportunity to put the otherwise useless knowledge I have on how those communities work to use - besides, I know people who have written EPQ's about much stranger things lmao.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what question I could ask? I'd been trying to use things like, "How much influence do fans have over media?", but I didn't get very far. Maybe something like, "Has social media ruined TV audiences?", and using show-specific examples of the good and bad sides of fans online? But I don't even know if that makes sense, and I'm a bit worried that focusing too heavily on the effect of social media would count as something I already study, since I take Sociology.

Thanks for the help.

do something more broad and balanced such as 'to what extent have fans influenced media' or 'to what extent has social media ruined tv audiences' that way you have way more to talk about and argue as well as research. your planning and prep play a huge part in your marks your final report isnt the be all and end all so whatever you decide on make sure its really well planned and developed
Original post by arch17
do something more broad and balanced such as 'to what extent have fans influenced media' or 'to what extent has social media ruined tv audiences' that way you have way more to talk about and argue as well as research. your planning and prep play a huge part in your marks your final report isnt the be all and end all so whatever you decide on make sure its really well planned and developed

nevermind, my idea is dead. i had settled on focusing more on fan culture, and the effect that has on mental health, but i think all of my ideas would end up falling under the media section of my sociology course? it says it involves understanding the sociological explanation of the media, globalisation, and popular culture.
Original post by etherealarachnid
nevermind, my idea is dead. i had settled on focusing more on fan culture, and the effect that has on mental health, but i think all of my ideas would end up falling under the media section of my sociology course? it says it involves understanding the sociological explanation of the media, globalisation, and popular culture.

speak to ur teachers to clarify whether or not any of your ideas fall under it and if they do then they can help you brainstorm other topics to do

Quick Reply

Latest