The Student Room Group

Foreign aid

Do you think the government should cut foreign aid temporarily and use the billions saved to improve living standards for the poorest in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. You're trying to solve one problem by creating another. If you're suggesting that the only way we can help our own poorest is to cut foreign aid then you're in need of a dire reality check.
Reply 2
I wouldn't increase it at the rate by which this Government is doing it. I support the idea of not giving aid to India though.
Reply 3
But many government ministers/ represntatives from LEDC's, particularly African countries like Uganda have come out against foreign aid.
they claim anlot of the money is admittedly spent on water and food for those in poverty and on infrastructure but a significant amount is wasted or lost due to government corruption. Surely the better way of reducing poverty in these countries is to lift the economic sanctions and write off the debt they have to us? Plus if we increased trade with poorer nations and helped job creation that would create an even larger effect than just sending them billions of pounds?
Reply 4
We spend 11 billion on foreign aid.

We spend well over 400 billion on welfare, education, pensions and the NHS.

It'd be nice if we could stop pretending cutting foreign aid is going to save all our problems
Reply 5
Im just saying we can do a lot more than just send them money
Reply 6
Foreign aid ain't aid.

It should be more appropriately named, bribery, because that is what it is...

A few years ago we gave 'aid' to Tanzania, with strings that they buy a radar system off us. Radar system was obsolete oh and Tanzania doesn't have any airplanes to use it with either...
Yes, why give money to countries that hate us.
What a lot of people forget is the trade deals that are opened up to out country because of the aid we give. This must be taken into consideration when discussing the merits of the UK giving aid to other countries. It is a two way process. More importantly, it is saving lives and I think we should be more proud of our society for giving aid to more vulnerable people around the world.
Original post by Andyrobbo1994
But many government ministers/ represntatives from LEDC's, particularly African countries like Uganda have come out against foreign aid.
they claim anlot of the money is admittedly spent on water and food for those in poverty and on infrastructure but a significant amount is wasted or lost due to government corruption. Surely the better way of reducing poverty in these countries is to lift the economic sanctions and write off the debt they have to us? Plus if we increased trade with poorer nations and helped job creation that would create an even larger effect than just sending them billions of pounds?

You seem to be rather muddled. The foreign aid is aimed at alleviating poverty. Once poverty is addressed then they can build up their economies and begin trading with us in a more meaningful manner.

nations have economic sanctions imposed on them due to poor standards of behaviour such as human rights issues.

If you wish to write off debt. Who do you propose pays for it?
Original post by Justpin
Foreign aid ain't aid.

It should be more appropriately named, bribery, because that is what it is...

A few years ago we gave 'aid' to Tanzania, with strings that they buy a radar system off us. Radar system was obsolete oh and Tanzania doesn't have any airplanes to use it with either...

Nobody forces nations to accept foreign aid. Why shouldn't british industry benefit?
Reply 11
Original post by MatureStudent36
Nobody forces nations to accept foreign aid. Why shouldn't british industry benefit?

You're contradicting yourself, first you say its about alleviating poverty in the target country.

They you're saying it is for the good of British industry.

If it is for the good of British industry then it is what I say i.e. bribes.

You do realise we give quite a lot of money to China and India right..... China and India happen to have space programs
Original post by Justpin
You're contradicting yourself, first you say its about alleviating poverty in the target country.

You do realise we give quite a lot of money to China and India right..... China and India happen to have space programs

I'm not contradicting myself. There's multiple benefits to foreign aid.
In this situation I turn to the bible (Being completely against Religion though).

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

In simple terms we should sort out our country before trying to fix everybody else.
Reply 14
Original post by Justpin

Just like, in the past, America gave aid to Europe.

History does, indeed, repeat itself.
Original post by DiddyDec
In this situation I turn to the bible (Being completely against Religion though).

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

In simple terms we should sort out our country before trying to fix everybody else.

Yes but that is a book of lies so we can just ignore it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andyrobbo1994
Im just saying we can do a lot more than just send them money

It has to be sustainable development. As you say giving money doesn't work as it normally goes to corrupt politicians or is used in unhelpful ways. We should work with local charities who understand the issues and therefore know how best to use the money effectively

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Alpha510
Just like, in the past, America gave aid to Europe.

History does, indeed, repeat itself.

That was the demand problem, you can have 1000s of factories but if you have no clients then your factories are pointless.

This same thing is happening today, as corporates and government (the same thing essentially) seek to reduce wages and incomes. People have less money to buy stuff.

Which causes corporate and government profits to fall. So they seek to cut costs and wages even more, which causes people to have less money to buy stuff.

Which causes corporate and government profits to fall. So they seek to cut costs and wages even more, which causes people to have less money to buy stuff.

We call this a death spiral.
Original post by Sammy Lanka
Yes but that is a book of lies so we can just ignore it

Its not a book of lies, it is a story book. Nothing but fiction and a damn good read with some useful teachings.
Original post by Sammy Lanka
It tells us god exists which isa lie

And Harry Potter tells us that there is magic everywhere. It doesn't make it a lie, it makes it fiction. But from the bible there is a lot of knowledge and intellectual philosophy that can be found. It is worth a read whether or not you are religious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending