The Student Room Group

Nintendo Wii U Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eboracum
Has anyone got that free Mercedes update, that is quite cool. Wonder when the new tracks will be released.

http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/dlc/

November and May :smile:
Original post by Illusionary

That will be really good, thanks. Do you like the Mercedes one? Quite good that it is free!

How good on people on here? I should say I've never played online. Presumably people on here are so good they can win every race? I played on hard 150cc earlier and won 12 out of 16 races including the first 11, but I'm not sure how that compares in standard.

As far as I'm aware, you are put into races with people who are of a similar skill level to you. I don't win every race, I average 3rd/4th on most tracks at the moment.
Reply 603
Hello everyone.

I own a Nintendo Wii U and I play Mario Kart 8 for it. We got it fairily recently. It took a while getting used to but I now think it's just as good as the previous one for Wii, which we enjoyed. Out of interest what controllers do people use? On the Wii I used the wheel until I started losing, then I switched back to a Gamecube control. Now on the Wii U I use a new controller I bought from Amazon, the classic black one new for U.

How good on people on here? I should say I've never played online. Presumably people on here are so good they can win every race? I played on hard 150cc earlier and won 12 out of 16 races including the first 11, but I'm not sure how that compares in standard.

Has anyone got that free Mercedes update, that is quite cool. Wonder when the new tracks will be released.

I use the Wii U pro controller, definitely feels better than the wii wheel
Original post by alpen
I use the Wii U pro controller, definitely feels better than the wii wheel

Yes, that is the one I use as well, I couldn't remember the name! It's strange because on the previous Wii I always used the wheel and kept beating friends, but one practised over Christmas and when I came back he started beating me! Thus I changed. And now on the U the pro controller is the only way to go.

Original post by VladThe1mpaler
As far as I'm aware, you are put into races with people who are of a similar skill level to you. I don't win every race, I average 3rd/4th on most tracks at the moment.

Thanks Vlad. Great Kasabian song that is. How about against CPU on Hard, would you win every race on that? The thing is, I played online once on the Wii Mario Kart, and people had hacked the game. I saw people who seemed to permanently have gold mushroom/star?
Yes, that is the one I use as well, I couldn't remember the name! It's strange because on the previous Wii I always used the wheel and kept beating friends, but one practised over Christmas and when I came back he started beating me! Thus I changed. And now on the U the pro controller is the only way to go.

Thanks Vlad. Great Kasabian song that is. How about against CPU on Hard, would you win every race on that? The thing is, I played online once on the Wii Mario Kart, and people had hacked the game. I saw people who seemed to permanently have gold mushroom/star?

Yeah on hard CPU I win most races. Don't worry about hackers, I am yet to see anything like that on MK8 online.
Original post by Shawshank
I'm the current world record holder on Mario Kart Stadium - so far it has stood for 20 days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x42QU5UJItQ

Didn't know that you were on TSR. :smile:

Congrats on the world record. You going for any other tracks?

Hello everyone.

I own a Nintendo Wii U and I play Mario Kart 8 for it. We got it fairily recently. It took a while getting used to but I now think it's just as good as the previous one for Wii, which we enjoyed. Out of interest what controllers do people use? On the Wii I used the wheel until I started losing, then I switched back to a Gamecube control. Now on the Wii U I use a new controller I bought from Amazon, the classic black one new for U.

I use the WiiChuk on both MKWii and MK8. I used the wheel on release day on MKWii and never used it again. It's horrible to use. I tried to use the gamepad on MK8, but it's too uncomfortable to use for a long period of time.

The level online differs, really. You have bad players and very good players that play competitively. The competitive guys are much better than the AI. Your VR will be low, so you'll get matched with other players with low VR in general. You should find them fine to race against.

MKWii was hacked at around late 2008. It's a shame, because it ruined the game. Hacks have started to be made for MK8, but they're not in the public domain. It's still hack free as of yet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NathanW18

I use the WiiChuk on both MKWii and MK8. I used the wheel on release day on MKWii and never used it again. It's horrible to use. I tried to use the gamepad on MK8, but it's too uncomfortable to use for a long period of time.

The level online differs, really. You have bad players and very good players that play competitively. The competitive guys are much better than the AI. Your VR will be low, so you'll get matched with other players with low VR in general. You should find them fine to race against.

MKWii was hacked at around late 2008. It's a shame, because it ruined the game. Hacks have started to be made for MK8, but they're not in the public domain. It's still hack free as of yet.

Fancy seeing you in here Nathan. :smile:

Forgive me, what is VR?
Fancy seeing you in here Nathan. :smile:

Forgive me, what is VR?

The football and gaming forums are the two I visit the most. :smile:

VR is your VS rating. It's how many points you have acquired online. You gain points for better finishes and lose points for worse finishes. You start at 1000 and the old max was 9999. Since the newest update, they have increased the max to 99999.
The football and gaming forums are the two I visit the most. :smile:

VR is your VS rating. It's how many points you have acquired online. You gain points for better finishes and lose points for worse finishes. You start at 1000 and the old max was 9999. Since the newest update, they have increased the max to 99999.

Cool, yes I like Mario Kart a lot. One of my favourite things along with Manchester United. :tongue: Do you have Playstation/Xbox as well?

Sorry again....VS? :smile:
Cool, yes I like Mario Kart a lot. One of my favourite things along with Manchester United. :tongue: Do you have Playstation/Xbox as well?

Sorry again....VS? :smile:

That's great man. :smile:

I have a PS3 and PS4. I used to have a 360, but I sold it. Didn't really use it. I remember reading in the United thread that you were going to get a PS4 for Christmas. You on PS3 or 360 atm?

VS = Versus.
That's great man. :smile:

I have a PS3 and PS4. I used to have a 360, but I sold it. Didn't really use it. I remember reading in the United thread that you were going to get a PS4 for Christmas. You on PS3 or 360 atm?

VS = Versus.

I'm actually on a 360 at the moment. I was a big player of the PS2 but I switched when the seventh generation consoles came out. So I tend to use the 360 and the Wii U which me and my bro went halves on atm. But I don't like the look of the Xbox One so I think I'm going to switch back. I've kind of got bored of the 360 and feel like it's time for a change.

I remember getting a PS2 and GTA3 for Christmas years ago, just incredible feeling that was.

Do you or anybody else know about that game Lego City? I think it looks quite good and I fancy having a go!
Ok, after having played an hour of Destiny on my 360 I'm disappointed it's not going to see a Wii U release, I can tell it's going to be a good game already.
Flame hopping should be banned.

Why don't you start a petition then? It'll get completely ignored because this is a ridiculous proposition. Why don't they take out drifting? Or mushrooms? Heck, why not make it so you just press left and right? And there should only be one kart to choose from.

Thanks. No, it takes too much time going for multiple WRs, unfortunately I'm not that young anymore and can't compete with the kids who play MK in all their free time. I got 2nd on CCB yesterday with the new shroomstrat that Twi found, but I had WR briefly on this course in June so I already know how to drive the course well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why don't you start a petition then? It'll get completely ignored because this is a ridiculous proposition. Why don't they take out drifting? Or mushrooms? Heck, why not make it so you just press left and right? And there should only be one kart to choose from.

The difference is that those are all features built into the game intentionally and fire hopping is exploiting something which the developers have put in there unintentionally.

I'm not going to start a petition because I don't care very much, I don't even play time trials very often. Just giving my opinion on the matter, no need to take it so seriously and get yourself upset about it.
Hello everyone.

Gamepad for me! Not even motion controlled haha :smile:
The difference is that those are all features built into the game intentionally and fire hopping is exploiting something which the developers have put in there unintentionally.

I'm not going to start a petition because I don't care very much, I don't even play time trials very often. Just giving my opinion on the matter, no need to take it so seriously and get yourself upset about it.

How do you know that?

Not upset, I just find your mindset funny.
How do you know that?

Not upset, I just find your mindset funny.

This is an interesting mindset seemingly unique to Mario Kart - I remember when there was the exact same controversy over snaking in MKDS and to a lesser extent prolonged rocket boosting, although the latter was much harder. I've never seen it for any other game - techniques such as these, unless they are something like an infinite in a fighting game or a wall glitch in a shooting game which renders it unplayable for opposing players, are seemingly always welcomed.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm actually on a 360 at the moment. I was a big player of the PS2 but I switched when the seventh generation consoles came out. So I tend to use the 360 and the Wii U which me and my bro went halves on atm. But I don't like the look of the Xbox One so I think I'm going to switch back. I've kind of got bored of the 360 and feel like it's time for a change.

I remember getting a PS2 and GTA3 for Christmas years ago, just incredible feeling that was.

Yeah, a lot of people switched last gen. I stuck with PlayStation. I don't mind Xbox, but I prefer PlayStation and Nintendo. Getting one at Christmas is a pretty decent time to get one. The big games will start to come out next year.

I remember getting my PS2 for Christmas as well. It came with Tekken Tag. Still love that game.

Thanks. No, it takes too much time going for multiple WRs, unfortunately I'm not that young anymore and can't compete with the kids who play MK in all their free time. I got 2nd on CCB yesterday with the new shroomstrat that Twi found, but I had WR briefly on this course in June so I already know how to drive the course well.

I know what you mean mate. You're at Cambridge Uni, right? A lot of the younger guys only have school, so they can TT all evening and weekend. Can't really match that when you have uni/full time work. Well played on 2nd. Pretty awesome achievement when you don't have as much time as the other top TT'ers.

Original post by DJMayes
This is an interesting mindset seemingly unique to Mario Kart - I remember when there was the exact same controversy over snaking in MKDS and to a lesser extent prolonged rocket boosting, although the latter was much harder. I've never seen it for any other game - techniques such as these, unless they are something like an infinite in a fighting game or a wall glitch in a shooting game which renders it unplayable for opposing players, are seemingly always welcomed.

It's a technique that everybody can use. If it was a hack, which others couldn't do without modding their console, asking for it to be patched would be understandable. People complain about it, because they don't want to spend the time to learn it. The competitive players just get on with it and adapt to the meta. Nintendo aren't going to change it. The complainers may as well just learn it.
So, for the few people that are still remotely interested in Watch_Dogs, it seems to have been given a release date of Nov 18th in Mexico at least. I'm still interested in this game so will be picking it up at some point. I just hope Ubisoft does the sensible thing hand actually release some screens and videos of gameplay to the various Nintendo dedicated news sites there are. It wouldn't hurt to try Ubisoft!

Quick Reply

Latest