The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Campus size

Hi, I am applying to study psychology this year, 2023, and am looking at accommodations. Although I've narrowed down my choices I was wondering if anyone could help answer a few questions. Firstly, how long is the walk across campus, if I were in Marlborough/solsbury court for example how long would it take me to get to the SU or to 10W? Secondly, if I were to apply for accommodation in the city, is there a rough idea of the price of a bus pass as I haven't been able to find anything online. Finally, where does anyone recommend if you are looking for more of a party time in your first year? Thanks very much !
Hello there!

Great to hear you’re applying for Psychology at Bath! As a former Bath Psychology student myself I thought I’d leap in here to try and help with your questions.

Funnily enough, I have actually timed the walk all the way from the Lime Tree café (IMO the best place to eat on campus along with 4 West!) which is right next to Marlborough/Solsbury, to my flat in Westwood which was very close to 10W and it took 7 minutes 45 seconds, without rushing. The SU is around halfway between the two in the middle of the main Parade stretch, so would be about half of that (~4-5 minutes). The time it takes will obviously depend on where your lectures are, but from my experience you can get to pretty much anywhere on the main campus from anywhere in less than 10 minutes. Theoretically then, you can get up from bed at 08.45 living in Marlborough or Solsbury, grab a quick breakfast and still be at a 09.15 lecture on the other side of campus in good time 😊

One mistake I made when applying for accommodation was to choose a flat which was next to 10W, thinking I would be there often given it is the main Psychology block. However, most of my lectures were actually in the Chancellor’s building, the Edge theatre and other halls which are shared by multiple departments which are actually on the other side of campus to where I was living! 10W is primarily office and experimental laboratory space, so I was actually only there for workshops around once per month. If you are thinking about Marlborough or Solsbury then this means you’d be closer to those places, as well as being (I would say) on the more modern side, greener, prettier side of campus.

In terms of bus tickets, I would say the best value option would be the Uni Year ticket (around £450) or the individual Uni semester tickets. You can find out some more info about these here but they’re essentially only available to Bath students, and are tied to the academic term dates. This makes them better value than the standard student year ticket (around £600, 12 months) as they do not cover the 4 or so months of summer when a lot of students living far away choose to go home.

In terms of where to live for a party vibe in first year? I would say among the most social accommodation blocks are the Quads, with their big communal areas on every floor, and Norwood House, which is just above the SU. This is right at the centre of campus, and students on the lower floors sometimes get free/discounted club night tickets to make up for the fact that it could be noisier than other accommodation blocks. Although Bath isn’t as well-known for its nightlife scene as some larger cities, there’s still a nice selection of nightclubs in town (Kishen reviews them here!) which do various theme nights and giveaways throughout the year.

If you have any more questions on accommodation then feel free to email [email protected], or check out the official Uni of bath accommodation thread.

I hope that's useful! Please feel free to post any more questions you have on here, and best of luck!

Holly
University of Bath
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by University of Bath
Hello there!

Great to hear you’re applying for Psychology at Bath! As a former Bath Psychology student myself I thought I’d leap in here to try and help with your questions.

Funnily enough, I have actually timed the walk all the way from the Lime Tree café (IMO the best place to eat on campus along with 4 West!) which is right next to Marlborough/Solsbury, to my flat in Westwood which was very close to 10W and it took 7 minutes 45 seconds, without rushing. The SU is around halfway between the two in the middle of the main Parade stretch, so would be about half of that (~4-5 minutes). The time it takes will obviously depend on where your lectures are, but from my experience you can get to pretty much anywhere on the main campus from anywhere in less than 10 minutes. Theoretically then, you can get up from bed at 08.45 living in Marlborough or Solsbury, grab a quick breakfast and still be at a 09.15 lecture on the other side of campus in good time 😊

One mistake I made when applying for accommodation was to choose a flat which was next to 10W, thinking I would be there often given it is the main Psychology block. However, most of my lectures were actually in the Chancellor’s building, the Edge theatre and other halls which are shared by multiple departments which are actually on the other side of campus to where I was living! 10W is primarily office and experimental laboratory space, so I was actually only there for workshops around once per month. If you are thinking about Marlborough or Solsbury then this means you’d be closer to those places, as well as being (I would say) on the more modern side, greener, prettier side of campus.

In terms of bus tickets, I would say the best value option would be the Uni Year ticket (around £450) or the individual Uni semester tickets. You can find out some more info about these here but they’re essentially only available to Bath students, and are tied to the academic term dates. This makes them better value than the standard student year ticket (around £600, 12 months) as they do not cover the 4 or so months of summer when a lot of students living far away choose to go home.

In terms of where to live for a party vibe in first year? I would say among the most social accommodation blocks are the Quads, with their big communal areas on every floor, and Norwood House, which is just above the SU. This is right at the centre of campus, and students on the lower floors sometimes get free/discounted club night tickets to make up for the fact that it could be noisier than other accommodation blocks. Although Bath isn’t as well-known for its nightlife scene as some larger cities, there’s still a nice selection of nightclubs in town (Kishen reviews them here!) which do various theme nights and giveaways throughout the year.

If you have any more questions on accommodation then feel free to email [email protected], or check out the official Uni of bath accommodation thread.

I hope that's useful! Please feel free to post any more questions you have on here, and best of luck!

Holly
University of Bath

Would love to hear your opinions on the best and worst aspects of Westwood!! Which one did you live in?
Hello again @Julieb3108!

During my time at Bath I lived in Derhill. Within Westwood, Derhill is grouped with Wolfson and Cotswold, Quantock and Conygre are grouped, and Mendip and Quarry are also grouped although all blocks are very similar inside and are around the same price (full list here!) To answer your question, my honest opinion of Westwood is…

Best bits:

It is social! Whilst there is not the dedicated social space in Westwood as you would get in the Quads or Polden, because the flats are quite large (16-22 students to 2-3 kitchens) and the rooms are non-ensuite, I found I was always bumping into people in the flat going to and from the bathroom and using the kitchen. In fact, the kitchens actually became our social spaces we hooked up a Nintendo WII one of my flatmates had brought to the big screen which came in the downstairs kitchen, and also kept some decks of cards, Monopoly and Dungeons and Dragons and held games nights. It ended up being a really nice social space which made the flat feel homely 😊

It is spacious! Considering the price, and the fact that the rooms are non-ensuite, I was impressed by the size of the bedrooms. I found there was more than enough space for all my stuff, which included a laundry basket, a couple of musical instruments and a small suitcase to store my books and I never felt crowded out. Whilst you get the dedicated social spaces and the more modern interior with the Quads, the Quads rooms themselves are much smaller than those in Westwood, and I found that when I stayed there for some student ambassador work I felt quite closed-in, which I never felt in Westwood.

Worst bits:

Location overall, I honestly really enjoyed my time in Westwood personally, however one thing I would pinpoint as a downside is the location. Westwood is located on the West side of campus, where the buildings are not as modern and there is less green space compared to the East side. Whilst we did have a really nice patch of green space with picnic benches outside our flat, there was a lot more green space outside Marlborough and Solsbury on the East side. I would say that Woodland Court is a really nice option if location is important to you, because its tucked in a quieter corner of Campus with a really nice, open green space outside. However, Woodland Court is a fair bit more money per week than Westwood and I was keen to save money where I could, so it totally depends on what’s important to you in accommodation.

Small kitchens Compared to options like Brendon Court, and even Eastwood Green which is a little cheaper per week than Westwood, the kitchens in Westwood are quite small. As someone who enjoys cooking from scratch, and also having to share the space with one flatmate who was an aspiring chef, this was a little difficult to manage! The size of the kitchens made it difficult for more than 3-4 of us to prepare our food at the same time, and because we also used the kitchens as a social space it did feel a little overcrowded when we all wanted cook dinner and sometimes became untidy with everyone’s pans and cutlery etc.

I really hope that helps! And remember to email [email protected] or post on here if you would like any more info 😊

Holly
University of Bath

Quick Reply

Latest