The Student Room Group

Edexcel Further Maths Textbook?

Hi there,

I'm taking up further maths AS this year alongside my A2s. I've been told we will be studying FP1, S2 and S3 for the f.maths AS. I was just wondering if anyone who did FP1 would recommend the Edexcel FP1 textbook (or if there is a better alternative). The same goes for the stats modules...

Thanks,

Dan
Reply 1
When I did FM I did find the FP1 Edexcel book useful. They show you working out on some of the examples, so you can follow it easily. I think also they had a CD at the back of the book, which you can put on the computer and it shows you the working out on the exercises of the book, as well as tips in exams, and possibly some worksheets too.

I don't think I had the edexcel S2 book, and I didn't do S3 when at college, so I can't really give you any info, but I think they are similar style to the FP1.
Reply 2
I'm currently doing As in further maths and I'd definitely say the textbooks are needed, you can use them to learn the basics and they also have many exam questions and review exercises. Once you have done the textbook you will then find it much easier to do past papers.
I'm a person who usually learns from past papers but with maths some of it won't make sense unless you've learnt it all beforehand.
(I'm also doing the same modules as you except s2 is part of my normal maths!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Oxford ones IME are better than the Pledger/Heinemann/Pearson ones.
The Bostock and Chandler Further Maths book is an excellent aid as are the AQA free ebooks for many Edexcel topics.
Reply 4
I think you *might* need the edexcel one if that's what your school teaches along side. In other words, if they tell you to do question 4a on page 24 and you don't have the book, you won't be able to do the question.

Here's a really good resource that's free (Unfortunately no S3 stuff though, I'm in the same boat for D2):

S2: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/S2/module.php

FP1:http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/FP1/module.php
Reply 5
Thanks for your help everyone.

Original post by m4ths/maths247

You're videos were great when I was doing D1 last year, I will definitely use them again this year :smile:.

Original post by Liamnut

I've used exam solutions quite a bit as well, didn't realise FP1 was on there too, so thanks for pointing that out.

Dan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest