The Student Room Group

Alvel furthe rmaths

I’m planning on doing AS further maths but don’t know which exam board to do - I have cure early left school and im a private candidate so from thsi point onwards to 2025 exams i will study my 3 alvels on my own but don’t know if I have time to also do AS for the 2025 exams . Wondering if it’s possible to self teach AS further whist doing 3 other alevels as I will return back to school 2024 September for yr 13
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by high-fiber-organ
I’m planning on doing AS further maths but don’t know which exam board to do - I have cure early left school and im a private candidate so from thsi point onwards to 2025 exams i will study my 3 alvels on my own but don’t know if I have time to also do AS for the 2025 exams . Wondering if it’s possible to self teach AS further whist doing 3 other alevels as I will return back to school 2024 September for yr 13

Hello! I do Edexcel Further Maths, and I think the AS spec is pretty decent. We use OCR for exam practice, but I have no idea how their exam board works
Reply 3

OK so we do Edexcel Further Maths. I genuinely thought that it was going to be much harder than it actually is, particularly AS level content. I would recommend doing the Edexcel courses because:

1) It's quite straightforward (though the vectors topic is one that causes problems for me and a few other people)

2) Widely available resources - Resources ranging from textbooks to exam questions and papers etc. are more widely available than any other exam board from what I see. You don't even have to buy the textbook. If you search up the component (i.e. Core Pure 1 or Further Stats 1) and then follow it up with ".pdf" you will find LOADS of websites from which you can download the textbook from.

I would say that if you can do Year 2 Maths, you can do AS level Further Maths without a doubt. It's really not that hard but I would say it does step up a bit towards the back end but that's true with any course.
Original post by vnayak
OK so we do Edexcel Further Maths. I genuinely thought that it was going to be much harder than it actually is, particularly AS level content. I would recommend doing the Edexcel courses because:
1) It's quite straightforward (though the vectors topic is one that causes problems for me and a few other people)
2) Widely available resources - Resources ranging from textbooks to exam questions and papers etc. are more widely available than any other exam board from what I see. You don't even have to buy the textbook. If you search up the component (i.e. Core Pure 1 or Further Stats 1) and then follow it up with ".pdf" you will find LOADS of websites from which you can download the textbook from.
I would say that if you can do Year 2 Maths, you can do AS level Further Maths without a doubt. It's really not that hard but I would say it does step up a bit towards the back end but that's true with any course.
I still haven’t started alevel further maths . I’m only doing AS but still do you think it’s too late
Original post by xbqvz
Hello! I do Edexcel Further Maths, and I think the AS spec is pretty decent. We use OCR for exam practice, but I have no idea how their exam board works
Hi so u do Edexcel and u think AS so year 1 should be okay even if I still haven’t started and I’m doing exam next year
Reply 6
I still haven’t started alevel further maths . I’m only doing AS but still do you think it’s too late
Yes, it's too late now if you are sitting exams this year. There is A LOT to do for A level Further Maths - content steps up quite a bit. It's not too hard but it's the amount of stuff there is.
Reply 7
Original post by vnayak
Yes, it's too late now if you are sitting exams this year. There is A LOT to do for A level Further Maths - content steps up quite a bit. It's not too hard but it's the amount of stuff there is.

they said for 2025 exams !
Reply 8

Original post by xbqvz

Sorry OP, I was under the impression you meant it for 2024 exams. If you are going for 2025 exams, it's deffo possible. It's not too bad provided you have the time to work on stuff.
Hi so u do Edexcel and u think AS so year 1 should be okay even if I still haven’t started and I’m doing exam next year
Yes - use the resources on here: https://www.drfrost.org/courses.php?coid=352
Original post by xbqvz

Omg thnakyou got soo scared
Original post by Muttley79
Yes - use the resources on here: https://www.drfrost.org/courses.php?coid=352

Also what combination should I do which is easier would u say as I have no clueees
Also what combination should I do which is easier would u say as I have no clueees

Which A levels are you taking? What degree might you be looking to study?

Quick Reply

Latest