The Student Room Group

Becoming a Web Developer

Hey guys,
I am an aspiring Web developer, Front end developer to be precise.
I just want to know the route you take into becoming one.
I have learnt HTML & CSS to a basic level and have touched upon JavaScript but it has been a while since I have coded, this was due to a combination of lack of direction and business but I really do want to become a Front End Developer.

I learnt HTML & CSS via codeacademy and reading but I don't know where to put those into practice. I would like to know what other people's processes were into becoming a web developer. What did you do? What technologies did you use? Did you use frameworks or code from scratch? etc. I have searched the net and the three main languages I have come across are HTML, CSS & JavaScript. Sorry if I confuse anyone, I would just like to know how to become a Front End Developer.

Any answers would be most appreciated.
Reply 1
HTML (not that you'll use it a great deal), CSS, PHP, JavaScript and AJAX. AJAX has great functionality and purpose, many e-commerce entities use it. If you can get any recognised certificate or qualification in web technologies, then your foot is in the door. The next is to develop your own project, an innovative idea and let it lose on the internet. For example, someone in my faculty at university developed (www).justdelete.me and he got widely recognised across the world for it. With this being his project and having it under his belt of accomplishments, he successfully managed to obtain an industrial placement which has now, of course, been the stepping stones for his career.

There's a lot more to web technologies than you may think by just under taking HTML and CSS. Like many things, it takes time and persistence to constantly find new ways. Resilience to fight through the difficult concepts. University is a great place for learning to code, the knowledge base and resources are so valuable. Then again, the best and most creative learning and ideas come from your own bed room. What time you put in to tutorials, books (and any other sources) means the more you'll get out of it.

Good luck.
Why do you want to be a front end developer? The real fun and money is in back end development. You can not only design services for websites but also systems that have nothing to do with websites. Why limit yourself?
Reply 3
Original post by AdampskiB
HTML (not that you'll use it a great deal), CSS, PHP, JavaScript and AJAX. AJAX has great functionality and purpose, many e-commerce entities use it. If you can get any recognised certificate or qualification in web technologies, then your foot is in the door. The next is to develop your own project, an innovative idea and let it lose on the internet. For example, someone in my faculty at university developed (www).justdelete.me and he got widely recognised across the world for it. With this being his project and having it under his belt of accomplishments, he successfully managed to obtain an industrial placement which has now, of course, been the stepping stones for his career.

There's a lot more to web technologies than you may think by just under taking HTML and CSS. Like many things, it takes time and persistence to constantly find new ways. Resilience to fight through the difficult concepts. University is a great place for learning to code, the knowledge base and resources are so valuable. Then again, the best and most creative learning and ideas come from your own bed room. What time you put in to tutorials, books (and any other sources) means the more you'll get out of it.

Good luck.

I am determined this time to persist and keep going. This is what I needed! Just some encouragement and motivation, thanks for your kind words and information. May I ask, are you a Web developer or an aspiring one?
Reply 4
Original post by FlamingBlade
Why do you want to be a front end developer? The real fun and money is in back end development. You can not only design services for websites but also systems that have nothing to do with websites. Why limit yourself?

Oh, because as I was learning HTML & CSS and I came across the job title 'Front End Developer', I was searching for a specific job title in Web Development and it seemed appealing. Are you a Back End Developer?
Reply 5
Original post by Dude6230
I am determined this time to persist and keep going. This is what I needed! Just some encouragement and motivation, thanks for your kind words and information. May I ask, are you a Web developer or an aspiring one?

No I have no intentions to take it up as a career, though it was my first hobby as a child and I took a unit on web scripting last year in university.

You may change your idea on what to be once you start to learn more languages. So what's your plan then, in terms of bettering your knowledge&skillset?
Reply 6
HTML (not that you'll use it a great deal)

A front end developer won't be using HTML much?
Reply 7
No I have no intentions to take it up as a career, though it was my first hobby as a child and I took a unit on web scripting last year in university.

You may change your idea on what to be once you start to learn more languages. So what's your plan then, in terms of bettering your knowledge&skillset?

Yeah, that may indeed be the case. Well, for now resume learning HTML & CSS via Books & Online tutorials. I will also look to resume learning JavaScript via the same means. It's those three languages for now I will look to try and become proficient in for now. PHP, AJAX is also of interest. Maybe find a framework to work with too. Heard Wordpress is good. Have you used Wordpress?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Planto
A front end developer won't be using HTML much?

As opposed to JavaScript and AJAX, no. I actually said "a great deal". From what you've quoted me, to what you've written are two very different means.

Common English would refer "much" as to, hardly any at all. Whereas "a great deal" would impose "still existent, but not your primary...".
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Dude6230
Yeah, that may indeed be the case. Well, for now resume learning HTML & CSS via Books & Online tutorials. I will also look to resume learning JavaScript via the same means. It's those three languages for now I will look to try and become proficient in for now. PHP, AJAX is also of interest. Maybe find a framework to work with too. Heard Wordpress is good. Have you used Wordpress?

Sorry for double post, but to answer your question: Wordpress as a framework? How'd you mean?

I use Wordpress for my blog, I quite like it. Provides many features, themes and plugins. Give it a whirl! You should definitely have your own portfolio online; just something you can toy around with and show off when you want to impress a person of interest.
Reply 10
As opposed to JavaScript and AJAX, no. I actually said "a great deal". From what you've quoted me, to what you've written are two very different means.

Common English would refer "much" as to, hardly any at all. Whereas "a great deal" would impose "still existent, but not your primary...".

Semantic pedantry aside, all front end developers will use HTML "a great deal" given that it is the primary and only language for marking up every web page on the internet. It doesn't even make sense to suggest that developers will use Ajax more than they'll use HTML given that; 1 - the former is almost always dependent on the latter as far as front end dev is concerned and; 2 - Ajax isn't even a technology but a methodology, meaning it's not so much comparing apples and oranges as comparing apples and orangutans.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Planto
Semantic pedantry aside, all front end developers will use HTML "a great deal" given that it is the That said, it seems you strongly believe that a website must have HTML incorporated in order for a browser to render it?. It doesn't even make sense to suggest that developers will use Ajax more than they'll use HTML given that; 1 - the former is almost always dependent on the latter as far as front end dev is concerned and; 2 - Ajax isn't even a technology but a methodology, meaning it's not so much comparing apples and oranges as comparing apples and orangutans.

Again, I'll say that I didn't suggest HTML was non-existent and I understand its existence is fundamental to any webpage's valid existence.

Though I will agree with the majority of what you've written. HTML is a necessity and you will inevitably use it. However the ratio for the use of HTML, compared to any other client-side languages would be heavily out-weighed in JavaScript's and AJAX's methodology (as you put it) favour. I think that's the point I initially wanted to make.
Reply 12
Again, I'll say that I didn't suggest HTML was non-existent and I understand its existence is fundamental to any webpage's valid existence.

Though I will agree with the majority of what you've written. HTML is a necessity and you will inevitably use it. However the ratio for the use of HTML, compared to any other client-side languages would be heavily out-weighed in JavaScript's and AJAX's methodology (as you put it) favour. I think that's the point I initially wanted to make.

I don't think that is a valid point. Ajax is just a small part of Javascript, whereas a front end developer will make extensive use of HTML.
Reply 13
Original post by Kerny
I don't think that is a valid point. Ajax is just a small part of Javascript, whereas a front end developer will make extensive use of HTML.

How so?
Reply 14
How so?

.. because they build the front end of websites?
Reply 15
Sorry for double post, but to answer your question: Wordpress as a framework? How'd you mean?

I use Wordpress for my blog, I quite like it. Provides many features, themes and plugins. Give it a whirl! You should definitely have your own portfolio online; just something you can toy around with and show off when you want to impress a person of interest.

Sorry, I meant CMS(Content Management System). Yep, I have recently started using it(forgot to mention), currently creating a website for my younger brother (www.josephlego.com). Wordpress seems pretty cool so far. Yh, that's a really good idea, a portfolio is pretty much a must.
Best way to learn is to do it. Look into local businesses that are willing to take you on as a freelancer, whether it be paid or not. Use a Content Management System (CMS) such as DotNetNuke, Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, etc. Become confident in at least one CMS - most organizations use these today. Then work on perfecting your resume. Front End Web Developers should be familiar with Photoshop and have a decent eye for detail and design. Your resume is a great area to showcase your creativity - which most companies really want in a front-end developer. Take a look here at a few Web Developer Resumes
Original post by burriderton
Best way to learn is to do it. Look into local businesses that are willing to take you on as a freelancer, whether it be paid or not. Use a Content Management System (CMS) such as DotNetNuke, Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, etc. Become confident in at least one CMS - most organizations use these today. Then work on perfecting your resume. Front End Web Developers should be familiar with Photoshop and have a decent eye for detail and design. Your resume is a great area to showcase your creativity - which most companies really want in a front-end developer. Take a look here at a few Web Developer Resumes

Have to agree with this, there no better way of learning coding than simply getting stuck in and involved in creating something real.

I sense someone is talking out of their rather large behind. I (and I expect many others in similar roles) spend at least 60-70% of my time with HTML/CSS when working on the front end. Until that is all sound, I don't even bother with JS.

Your theory? Utter BS.
Reply 19
Original post by iainvg
I sense someone is talking out of their rather large behind. I (and I expect many others in similar roles) spend at least 60-70% of my time with HTML/CSS when working on the front end. Until that is all sound, I don't even bother with JS.

Your theory? Utter BS.

Admittedly, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending