The Student Room Group

Amazon announces new drone tech for delivery

Amazon have shown a little insight into what their R&D department has been getting up to and the results look pretty exciting, "Amazon Prime Air". They expect in about 5 years time that they will have fully operational drones in order to get your product from their distribution centres to your house in roughly 30 minutes.

This will most likely be another game changer and I assume the postal service in general will revolve around this matter. What are your thoughts? What positive/negative implications could these piece of technology have on society?

[video="youtube;98BIu9dpwHU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BIu9dpwHU[/video]

http://www.amazon.com/b?ref_=tsm_1_tw_s_amzn_mx3eqp&node=8037720011
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Now everyone can receive their Hogwarts rejection letters.
Reply 2
Just another way to make ourselves redundant.
Reply 3
Just occured to me.

I could easily in my spare time make an army of flying drones. My plans for world domination are developing indeed.

With these drones, I have the means to make an empire.
Reply 4
What about when it's raining or really windy?
Original post by alow
What about when it's raining or really windy?

When it's raining the drones can just use umbrellas.
Reply 6
This raises the question of will private drones be allowed to cross borders? How could such a thin even be controlled? This has all sorts of implications in regards to import/export regulation and smuggling.
Reply 7
They seem quite fragile and I assume this'll only work with quite small objects. But main questions are...

How sophisticated can they make the flying systems, if it needs to be controlled by a pilot back at base, you'll need a pilot for each drone, which doesn't seem like it would save money compared to putting hundreds of parcels in one van for 24hr delivery. If they can actually fly from postcode to postcode automatically, how well can they avoid obstructions, power lines etc, where on the property do they know to drop the package?

This seems an unsecured way of delivering goods, someone could easily down one of these crafts by firing at it with even a fairly low powered projectile, then steal the pacakage.
This idea will never get off the ground.

:colone:
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
This idea will never get off the ground.

:colone:

:lol:

Assuming the vid isn't a spoof, how would the authorities ever allow all this junk to be flying around in our airspace, endangering helicopters, power lines and not to mention birds and people, as the packages drop out of the sky due to, er, unanticipated mechanical defects.

Still, I presume Amazon's tax-evading, government-manipulating planners have already prepared the necessary political bribes....
This will never work, lol.
Amazon will soon be selling the 'Drone Sniper Rifle' - shoot those little critters out of the sky - fun for all the family. Free on Prime Air delivery.
Original post by joey11223

This seems an unsecured way of delivering goods, someone could easily down one of these crafts by firing at it with even a fairly low powered projectile, then steal the pacakage.

Obviously its a prototype but you could arm them with defence weapons, the US military drones are badass and can take out an enemy of democracy unseen from 10 miles up, if some scally kid was firing a catapult at one of these drones to try and nick the package it could strafe him with air to ground cannon.

My main fear is how accurate their GPS is, it might get the street right but what about if it has the wrong house. I don't want my neighbours getting my delivery of condoms and sex toys.
Reply 13
They seem quite fragile and I assume this'll only work with quite small objects. But main questions are...

How sophisticated can they make the flying systems, if it needs to be controlled by a pilot back at base, you'll need a pilot for each drone, which doesn't seem like it would save money compared to putting hundreds of parcels in one van for 24hr delivery. If they can actually fly from postcode to postcode automatically, how well can they avoid obstructions, power lines etc, where on the property do they know to drop the package?

Big difference between 24 hour and 30 minute delivery though. I think it's awesome but would kill the high street
Original post by ckingalt
This raises the question of will private drones be allowed to cross borders?

lol airspace is free, do you think the US government has to request permission of countries whose airspace it is flying drones over. There is enough space for them not to bash in to things and tbh I doubt something that small would show up on air defence radar systems.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
:lol:

Assuming the vid isn't a spoof, how would the authorities ever allow all this junk to be flying around in our airspace, endangering helicopters, power lines and not to mention birds and people, as the packages drop out of the sky due to, er, unanticipated mechanical defects.

Still, I presume Amazon's tax-evading, government-manipulating planners have already prepared the necessary political bribes....

The video definitely isn't a spoof. I can imagine a new internet hype will be trying to capture one of the drones or something and video it.
If they malfunction whatever they land on is toast. This is unsafe.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Obviously its a prototype but you could arm them with defence weapons, the US military drones are badass and can take out an enemy of democracy unseen from 10 miles up, if some scally kid was firing a catapult at one of these drones to try and nick the package it could strafe him with air to ground cannon.

My main fear is how accurate their GPS is, it might get the street right but what about if it has the wrong house. I don't want my neighbours getting my delivery of condoms and sex toys.

Weapons eh...I see.

My concern isn't so much it finding the house, as a good GPS system should be okay, it's more how does it know where the front door is? Also if it left it in the front garden it could be stolen, so you'd have to be in.

Original post by MJ1012
Big difference between 24 hour and 30 minute delivery though. I think it's awesome but would kill the high street

Yeah but what I mean is the cost to Amazon and to the user. If it costs you over £10 say, since as it is 24hr delivery costs over £5, would it really be worth it, is it that urgent to get your item bar using it once as a novelty? Also as I say, if each drone (expensive) needs a pilot (expensive), it doesn't seem like a great money saver compared to using normal logistics. I mean Amazon gets 1000's of orders..per hour no doubt. Are they really going to have that many drones at each distribution site? If not it may be able to fly to you in 30 mins (..I'd question that) but if your parcel is no. 547 and they've only got 20 drones on the go..it's going to take a while.
Weapons eh...I see.

My concern isn't so much it finding the house, as a good GPS system should be okay, it's more how does it know where the front door is? Also if it left it in the front garden it could be stolen, so you'd have to be in.

Yeah but what I mean is the cost to Amazon and to the user. If it costs you over £10 say, since as it is 24hr delivery costs over £5, would it really be worth it, is it that urgent to get your item bar using it once as a novelty? Also as I say, if each drone (expensive) needs a pilot (expensive), it doesn't seem like a great money saver compared to using normal logistics. I mean Amazon gets 1000's of orders..per hour no doubt. Are they really going to have that many drones at each distribution site? If not it may be able to fly to you in 30 mins (..I'd question that) but if your parcel is no. 547 and they've only got 20 drones on the go..it's going to take a while.

I doubt they will use pilots. (Although I suppose Amazon could sub-contract it out to the military team that kills Afghan civilians from Montana?) No, it's more likely to be fully automated, using Google Maps. So the drones may be bumping into unexpected buildings or dropping your package on a newly built motorway.

Expect to see an awful lot of delivery drones turning up on Ebay.
Reply 19
Weapons eh...I see.

The same can be said for all technology at the start, it's all expensive.

Something like "Are you really going to have an office full of computers and then everyone working on them must be trained to use computers, that will never work?" was probably said many years ago.
I think in 5 years the technology will be ready to work but it will be many more when it can be efficiently used, but when it can it will massively change the shopping experience. Hell, people probably thought even the idea of buying things on the internet wouldn't work. Amazon just seem to be thinking ahead. Next step is teleportation :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending