The Student Room Group

Want to learn about Mobile Apps ( Android And IOS ) / Software Development

Hello
I am from Mile End, East London. I am looking a student who have knowledge of Mobile apps development / computer programming / Software Development. I finished my study in mathematics and have little bit knowledge about programming but didn't do any real life apps / software. If you are willing to teach me about that, please contact to me.

Thanking you

Joy
Reply 1
Hi Joy,

For Android apps, place to start would be where I started, The New Boston tutorials on YouTube. I found that the guy who made those videos explained everything really well and while it may be dated, a lot of the stuff he does in those videos are still relevant for Android apps today.

Here's a link to a playlist containing all the videos, there's a lot but you don't need them all to get started developing apps (I only went up to about 21 before I started my own) - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2F07DBCDCC01493A

Would also recommend using Android Studio instead of Eclipse, find it handy as it shows you the preview of the layout of the app unlike Eclipse which forces you to run the app every time you want to see the changes you made to the layout.

Unfortunately I haven't had any experience with iOS apps and so can't advice you there.
I haven't tried to program apps for iOS (neither android), but I can tell something from the research I have gathered. For iOS development, you have to learn a language call Objective-c and you HAVE to have a mac computer and you have to pay 90 dollars for developer license (yearly basis, I am not sure if you get development tools for free). For android, java language is used and you pay like 25 dollars for developers account and that is once payment. Furthermore, if you want to reduce pain of learning multiple languages, you should have a look at web app development, where you can create one app for all platforms. However, be warned that there are some limitations and problems with it and I advise you to do your research on this stuff, because as a programmer, you have to find your own path of progression.
Reply 3
As stated above, iOS and android use different languages. To save time developing for each platform, you could use an application such as Unity3d (which is also free) to deploy to multiple platforms. Deployment to the iOS App Store does cost money (last time I checked)

If you do have any queries, pm me and I'll see if I can help you get started :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending