The Student Room Group

What GCSES should I pick so I can be the most successful in app/game developing?

Im in year 9 and get my GCSE sheet tommorow.

Before you suggest anything, I want to say a couple things.

1. I don’t care if you think it is really hard, I don’t care if it is complicated or stressful.
Trust me, if it’s for my future, I’ll handle it.

2. For some reason my school has refused MY YEAR SPECIFICALLY a computer science GCSE. So don’t suggest that as it’ll just hurt more 😭

3. I want advice for GCSES for my app developing future. I will be going to college and university. I am a top student in maths, I usually get over 90%.
Original post by teejayhi55

1. I don’t care if you think it is really hard, I don’t care if it is complicated or stressful.

2. For some reason my school has refused MY YEAR SPECIFICALLY a computer science GCSE. So don’t suggest that as it’ll just hurt more 😭

3. I want advice for GCSES for my app developing future. I will be going to college and university. I am a top student in maths, I usually get over 90%.

Hi @teejayhi55

It is such a shame that your school won't be offering computer science! But don’t let that get you down.

I guess the other GCSEs that are standing out to me are Physics (develops your problem-solving and critical thinking) and ICT (for obvious reasons). Every school is different, for me doing Physics as its own GCSE meant that I had to do Biology and Chemistry as seprate GCSEs too. Always double check your options and communicate with your teachers.

It would also be beneficial to sign up for some free online courses that are more related to what you want to do. Over school holidays, maybe pick a course and make sure you keep a record of your participation; they may even provide you with a certificate!

Wishing you all the best!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Hi :smile:

It's great that you have some idea of what you want to do at such a young age! Though the games industry can be difficult to break into, it's not impossible, and you have a head-start just by thinking about it now.

It's a shame that you aren't able to do Computer Science, but it could be a blessing in disguise :lol: I despised doing it at GCSE. It's very theory heavy, but shallow so the theory isn't even helpful. I am a relatively competent programmer, but I credit my self-learning for fun rather than my GCSE and A-level.

This might surprise you, but I suggest you simply pick what you're good at and what interests you. Apart from the grades themselves, your GCSEs will have virtually no impact* on your A-levels, university degree or future career. What will help you immensely has nothing to do with school at all: personal projects.

I highly encourage you to:
1. Learn a programming language (I suggest Python), and the principles of programming in general (I highly recommend CS50x).
2. Learn a mobile development programming language (Swift for iOS, Kotlin for Android), and start building small projects (this is not my area of expertise, but a web search should give you some pointers)
3. Learn Blender, a piece of software used for 3D modelling (I highly recommend Andrew Price's donut tutorial)
4. Have a look at Godot, a games development engine, and start building small games with the above skills.

This is a lot, but even if you could do #1 over a school holiday, you would be far ahead of most.

Please let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Original post by teejayhi55

Hi @teejayhi55

It is such a shame that your school won't be offering computer science! But don’t let that get you down.

I guess the other GCSEs that are standing out to me are Physics (develops your problem-solving and critical thinking) and ICT (for obvious reasons). Every school is different, for me doing Physics as its own GCSE meant that I had to do Biology and Chemistry as seprate GCSEs too. Always double check your options and communicate with your teachers.

It would also be beneficial to sign up for some free online courses that are more related to what you want to do. Over school holidays, maybe pick a course and make sure you keep a record of your participation; they may even provide you with a certificate!

Wishing you all the best!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Wait there’s an ICT GCSE? I had no clue! I just hope my school offers it.

Quick Reply

Latest