The Student Room Group

Choosing a Software MSc

I'm a maths and physics graduate in Scotland from a few years ago that is now looking to get into software engineering as a career. The problem is however that I don't appear to have enough skills and/or experience in programming to get into these kinds of roles. Therefore I'm looking into MSc options that would give me the skills I would require. I've found a couple of options that are designed for non-computer science graduates that I'll link below.

Glasgow - https://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/softwaredevelopment/

Strathclyde - https://www.strath.ac.uk/courses/postgraduatetaught/softwaredevelopment/

If anyone has thoughts into which one of these might be a better option for me, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone knows of a similar MSc that has some advantage over these two programs, I would also be interested in hearing about it. Thanks in advance.
Hi. I applied to Glasgow MSc software development in January and I have done heavy research on their course structure.

It is very robust and actually contains advanced programming in the second semester.

I also went through Strathclyde’s program and ordinarily, they offer a specific course which I fancy the most (Mobile app development). However, in my opinion UoG appears to offer more courses
Reply 2
Original post by thatSoftwareGuy
Hi. I applied to Glasgow MSc software development in January and I have done heavy research on their course structure.

It is very robust and actually contains advanced programming in the second semester.

I also went through Strathclyde’s program and ordinarily, they offer a specific course which I fancy the most (Mobile app development). However, in my opinion UoG appears to offer more courses

Have you checked the MSc Computer Science course in Bath: https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-2023/taught-postgraduate-courses/msc-computer-science/

How would you rate this course compared to the Glasgow Software Development MSc course?
Original post by Tutu7
Have you checked the MSc Computer Science course in Bath: https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-2023/taught-postgraduate-courses/msc-computer-science/

How would you rate this course compared to the Glasgow Software Development MSc course?

Coincidentally, I also applied to the MSc Comp. Sci. at Bath and got accepted.

The Glasgow program covers topics such as advanced programming, algorithms and data structures, database theory and application, software engineering, and cryptography. These topics are highly relevant to the development of software and the management of IT systems.
I would argue that they are more practical oriented too and heavily use Java language.

On the other hand, the Bath program covers topics such as principles of programming, software engineering, databases, foundations of computation, artificial intelligence, and cryptography. These topics are also highly relevant to the field of software development, but with a more balanced focus on theoretical and practical aspects and apparently more AI & ML courses.

Personally, I have always wanted to attend UofG, however I also love Bath and would be glad to go to any of them.
Reply 4
Original post by thatSoftwareGuy
Coincidentally, I also applied to the MSc Comp. Sci. at Bath and got accepted.

The Glasgow program covers topics such as advanced programming, algorithms and data structures, database theory and application, software engineering, and cryptography. These topics are highly relevant to the development of software and the management of IT systems.
I would argue that they are more practical oriented too and heavily use Java language.

On the other hand, the Bath program covers topics such as principles of programming, software engineering, databases, foundations of computation, artificial intelligence, and cryptography. These topics are also highly relevant to the field of software development, but with a more balanced focus on theoretical and practical aspects and apparently more AI & ML courses.

Personally, I have always wanted to attend UofG, however I also love Bath and would be glad to go to any of them.

I actually have both offers and wondering which one to choose from. I actually paid the deposit for Bath as the deadline was really early and I got the offer for Glasgow course just 2 days ago. So was wondering which one to choose from. Which one do you think will be better?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending