tamsinaribena
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hola, basically I'm doing M1 and I kind of hate maths at the moment so bare with me if I ask any ridiculous really obvious questions.

I've got an old exam question from 2003 & our teacher gave us all the final answer for it but I'm confused as to how she got it.

5. A particle P moved with constant acceleration (2i-3j)m/s^-2. At time t seconds, it's velocity is v/m/s^-1. When t=0, v=-2i+7j.

a. Find the value of t when P is moving parallel to the vector i. (I've done this bit & got it correct. The answer is t= 2 and a third seconds.)

b. Find the speed of P when t=3. (this is the bit I'm ridiculously stuck on. I don't understand how to get to the answer, is there a formula or something I should know about that and I'm just being a bit dense?)

c. Find the angle between the vector j and the direction of motion of P when t=3. (Haven't yet tried this, but I suck at maths so all help would be appreciated.)

Thank you for your help in advance, even if you have to roll your eyes at my stupidity please help me
ztibor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tamsinaribena)
Hola, basically I'm doing M1 and I kind of hate maths at the moment so bare with me if I ask any ridiculous really obvious questions.

I've got an old exam question from 2003 & our teacher gave us all the final answer for it but I'm confused as to how she got it.

5. A particle P moved with constant acceleration (2i-3j)m/s^-2. At time t seconds, it's velocity is v/m/s^-1. When t=0, v=-2i+7j.

a. Find the value of t when P is moving parallel to the vector i. (I've done this bit & got it correct. The answer is t= 2 and a third seconds.)

b. Find the speed of P when t=3. (this is the bit I'm ridiculously stuck on. I don't understand how to get to the answer, is there a formula or something I should know about that and I'm just being a bit dense?)

c. Find the angle between the vector j and the direction of motion of P when t=3. (Haven't yet tried this, but I suck at maths so all help would be appreciated.)

Thank you for your help in advance, even if you have to roll your eyes at my stupidity please help me
The velocity vector in time of t, is sum of two components vectors.
1. THe velocity in t=0 which is -2i+7j and remain constant
2. The velocity from acceleration which is parallel with the vector
of acceleration and the value of this after t time is t*a ->2ti-3tj
Adding together, the velocity vector at the time of t
v=(2t-2)i+(7-3t)j
For t=3 sub in t 3
For the magnitude of the velocity
|v|=V(2t-2)^2+(7-3t)^2

For angle between j (y direction) and the vector consider that
vy/v=cos (alpha)
tamsinaribena
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by ztibor)
The velocity vector in time of t, is sum of two components vectors.
1. THe velocity in t=0 which is -2i+7j and remain constant
2. The velocity from acceleration which is parallel with the vector
of acceleration and the value of this after t time is t*a ->2ti-3tj
Adding together, the velocity vector at the time of t
v=(2t-2)i+(7-3t)j
For t=3 sub in t 3
For the magnitude of the velocity
|v|=V(2t-2)^2+(7-3t)^2

For angle between j (y direction) and the vector consider that
vy/v=cos (alpha)
Thank you so much! You really helped & now I've finally got all my hw done, thanks again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise