The Student Room Group

major sites of protonation and deprotonation

Hi,

Im rather confused on determining the major sites of protonation and deprotonation when a molecule is treated with a strong acid/base.

To find the most acidic proton do you look at the pKa values and see which has the lowest pKa to form the most stable conjugate base? How does this then work for deprotonation. Im so confused.

Thanks
Reply 1
To find the most likely places for protonation/deprotonation, you need to see where adding/removing a proton will create the most stable conjugate acid/base. So look for things like strong inductive effects, possibilities for conjugation, etc. Just remember that sometimes the easiest place to protonate is not productive, so you might need to look at the second or third best site before you find where to go with a reaction.
Reply 2
Original post by BJack
To find the most likely places for protonation/deprotonation, you need to see where adding/removing a proton will create the most stable conjugate acid/base. So look for things like strong inductive effects, possibilities for conjugation, etc. Just remember that sometimes the easiest place to protonate is not productive, so you might need to look at the second or third best site before you find where to go with a reaction.

do you look at a resonance structure or just the molecule itself
Reply 3
Original post by mamma_mia123
do you look at a resonance structure or just the molecule itself

Looking at resonance structures will help you, yes.
Reply 4
Original post by BJack
Looking at resonance structures will help you, yes.

I dont know how you collectively put together resonance, inductive effects, hybridisation and electronegativity in determining the most acidic proton, surely some of these effects will end up giving different acidic protons?
Reply 5
Original post by mamma_mia123
I dont know how you collectively put together resonance, inductive effects, hybridisation and electronegativity in determining the most acidic proton, surely some of these effects will end up giving different acidic protons?

Yes, sometimes the different factors are working against each other. There's no hard and fast rule for deciding which is the most acidic proton you will just have to develop a "feeling" for which one its likely to be. I'm sorry that I can't give you a more concrete answer, but organic chemistry is not not easy to be concrete about, unless you're willing to do some rather deep calculations. Usually a gut instinct is good enough to get you going in the right direction! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest