The Student Room Group

AQA A level bio help?

What is chemiosmotic theory? specifically for photosynthesis. My teacher missed it out. Like why is ATP stalked or something. I've been over it 10,000 times, still stumped.
Reply 1
The process of protons moving across the thylakoid membrane in this way is known as chemiosmosis
Reply 2
Original post by 670351
The process of protons moving across the thylakoid membrane in this way is known as chemiosmosis

Do they move across to make ATP?
Reply 3
So the protons move down the thylakoid membrane through a series of reactions ( in the electron transfer chain ) .Protons move down the electron transfer chain(which has a gradient) and then it will reach ATP synthase which is a channel protein.Protons are also just hydrogen by the way.So the hydrogen ion causes ATP to me made when the protons have released the enegry whilst crossing the channel protein(ATP Synthase).I think thats right - correct me if im wrong...
I would direct you to PMT but they dont have resources or dont talk about chemiosmis in that mjust detail.Im doing AQA bio as well and on the spec and it just says this

the production of ATP involves electron transfer associated with the transfer of electrons down the electron transfer chain and passage of protons across chloroplast membranes and is catalysed by ATP synthase embedded in these membranes (chemiosomotic theory)

so my answer was somewhat right hope this helps
Reply 4
Yes it does thank you!!
Reply 5
Original post by Sop 27
Yes it does thank you!!

No worries
I’m in year 13 doing bio chem and history so if u need any help my personal inbox is open x
Reply 6
Nice.. I'm doing history too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest