The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature June 2014 predictions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by michelecorrrea
I'm doing The Crucible, To Kill a Mockingbird and the conflict cluster does anyone have any ideas what could come up?
Our teacher said for The Crucible that Danforth, Proctor and Elizabeth haven't come up yet and in terms of themes reputation, responsibility and settings haven't come up yet either. I have no idea about mockingbird but I know in the conflict cluster than Out of the Blue, Come on come back, The yellow palm and hawk roosting haven't come up yet which is ok for me bar come on come back that I literally think is the weirdest poem ever. So any predictions? Especially for TKAMB!

I'm doing The Crucible and I also think Danforth may come up. The thing about the theme being reputation is also interesting.
Original post by Peppymint
I'm doing The Crucible and I also think Danforth may come up. The thing about the theme being reputation is also interesting.

I have a gut feeling that it will be Danforth and in terms of reputation there are lots of examples in the play so if that comes up I think that I could creatively make some rubbish up and mush it together so that it looks like something half decent :colondollar:
Reply 62
Original post by iWillWalker23
I am fairly new to the forum, and saw that for last year's exams predictions had been posted. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I study Relationships poetry, Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls.

For Poetry, I think it will be To His Coy Mistress and Ghazal. For Of Mice and Men, there is a strong possibility that it could be on Curley, or Euthanasia. For An Inspector Calls, Arthur Birling hasn't cropped up yet, neither has public image and hypocrisy.

I've sat down with my English teacher and together we've researched past exam papers for Of Mice and Men, We've come to the conclusion that it will be a question on the relationship between Curley and his wife.
Reply 63
Original post by michelecorrrea
I'm doing The Crucible, To Kill a Mockingbird and the conflict cluster does anyone have any ideas what could come up?
Our teacher said for The Crucible that Danforth, Proctor and Elizabeth haven't come up yet and in terms of themes reputation, responsibility and settings haven't come up yet either. I have no idea about mockingbird but I know in the conflict cluster than Out of the Blue, Come on come back, The yellow palm and hawk roosting haven't come up yet which is ok for me bar come on come back that I literally think is the weirdest poem ever. So any predictions? Especially for TKAMB!

I know Hawk Roosting and The Yellow Palm came up last year so unless they repeat a poem I would guess it will be OOTB and COCB :smile:
Reply 64
For the Crucible, reputation is the same as good name right? And there was a question on John and Elizabeth's relationship so it's probs on Danforth and Ik nothing about him
OM&M - Carlson (when talking to Slim about giving Candy a pup and killing Candy's dog) or Curley (when he first meets George and Lennie)

AIC - Mr Birling (selfishness, conceited, hypocrisy etc), Eva Smith (comparison with Edna, sympathy for, and who's to blame) and then themes I think could be gender/sexism, wealth/money, the weakness of relationships (like Mr and Mrs Birling as well as Gerald and Sheila), time and parts of the play - it could be on lighting or timing/entrances and exits,

poss questions:
a) Arthur Birling says, “If you don’t come down hard on these people they’ll soon be asking for the earth.” How does Priestley show that Arthur Birling is conceited and selfish in An Inspector Calls?
b) How does Priestley present Eva Smith and Edna? Compare their roles in the play and their importance in supporting Priestley’s view.
c) How does Priestley build sympathy for Eva Smith throughout the play?
d) "An Inspector Calls is full of lies and deceit.” How far do you agree with this statement? What methods does Priestley use to lead you to your view?
e) How does the play explore the issue of time and the past‟s impact on the present?
f) How does Priestley portray a class-ridden and hypocritical society through the Birlings?
g) Which character is most to blame for the death of Eva Smith? Explain your answer.
Original post by Random20
I know Hawk Roosting and The Yellow Palm came up last year so unless they repeat a poem I would guess it will be OOTB and COCB :smile:

I officially hate my light right now. But thanks for the heads up, I used to like OOTB but compared to other poems there is not much to actually say about it.
anyone doing macbeth??
Original post by WillWalker23
OM&M - Carlson (when talking to Slim about giving Candy a pup and killing Candy's dog) or Curley (when he first meets George and Lennie)

AIC - Mr Birling (selfishness, conceited, hypocrisy etc), Eva Smith (comparison with Edna, sympathy for, and who's to blame) and then themes I think could be gender/sexism, wealth/money, the weakness of relationships (like Mr and Mrs Birling as well as Gerald and Sheila), time and parts of the play - it could be on lighting or timing/entrances and exits,

poss questions:
a) Arthur Birling says, “If you don’t come down hard on these people they’ll soon be asking for the earth.” How does Priestley show that Arthur Birling is conceited and selfish in An Inspector Calls?
b) How does Priestley present Eva Smith and Edna? Compare their roles in the play and their importance in supporting Priestley’s view.
c) How does Priestley build sympathy for Eva Smith throughout the play?
d) "An Inspector Calls is full of lies and deceit.” How far do you agree with this statement? What methods does Priestley use to lead you to your view?
e) How does the play explore the issue of time and the past‟s impact on the present?
f) How does Priestley portray a class-ridden and hypocritical society through the Birlings?
g) Which character is most to blame for the death of Eva Smith? Explain your answer.

Wow, you're amazing.
I hate An Inspector Calls.
I find Of Mice and Men easier.
And for Poetry - don't get me started!
Aiming for at least an A grade. :smile:
Reply 69
how certain are you that these topics will come up?
Original post by Peppymint
Anybody doing the relationships cluster for the poems? If so, do you have any predictions?

i went through the pst papers online - this year it could be-In paris -Ghazal -Brthers-Coy Mistressand sister maude-

if anyone else has other prediction or help, it would be nice to compare itwith
does anyone have some fairly good notes on the relationship cluster for To His Coy Mistress, The farmer's bride ,Harmonium or Ghazal?

any valuable is also greatly appeciated, thanks!
I am fairly new to the forum, and saw that for last year's exams predictions had been posted. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I study Relationships poetry, Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls.

For Poetry, I think it will be To His Coy Mistress and Ghazal. For Of Mice and Men, there is a strong possibility that it could be on Curley, or Euthanasia. For An Inspector Calls, Arthur Birling hasn't cropped up yet, neither has public image and hypocrisy.

what do you mean by euthnasia?
So in terms of the crucible do you reckon it will be danforth / reputation will come up? How do you prepare for the second part of the question about TKAM / other novel?
No problems. For of mice and men again, make 5 or 6 points about the extract, then 5 or 6 with the rest of the novel, and then a couple of paragraphs about social relevance then and now; and also your personal connection with Of Mice and Men (it's cheesy, but unfortunately part of the mark scheme :frown: )

what are the social themes/ any theme related to OMAM, apart from the american drean, discrimmination , lonliness , reality verses dream do you think there are still?

thanks in advance!
A lot of people are saying Euthanasia might come up on the OMAM questions but I highly doubt it as there is not really enough of it in the novella to answer a question on and link to context etc.

I do think there could be a question on Curley and Violence; maybe even a question on another theme such as dreams and loneliness.

For poetry (relationships cluster), I am sure that To His Coy Mistress and Ghazal will come up.

None of my ideas are certain so don't hold me to them lol.

Anyone got any predictions or resources for Kindertransport because there isn't much online about it an would appreciate some help?

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
An inspector calls and OFAM for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
I swear Curley isn't lonely tho? and I dont think he really works for part b
And for the Crucible i swear you answer across the whole book but Danforth is just at the trials?
Reply 78
Is this for the 2014 May exam?
Reply 79
Original post by GoldGhost
So in terms of the crucible do you reckon it will be danforth / reputation will come up? How do you prepare for the second part of the question about TKAM / other novel?

I would look through the history of Arthur Miller because when you answer the second question it has to link back to the context of why the crucible was written and how it links to the American depression.

Quick Reply

Latest