The Student Room Group

Anime

Can anyone recommend any good anime shows/films to watch for someone completely new to the genre? :smile:
Reply 1
i am watching black butler at the moment, and its brilliant,
just finished attack on titan,
or even soul eater
three you may want to have a look at
Reply 2
Original post by Heyitsmatt
Can anyone recommend any good anime shows/films to watch for someone completely new to the genre? :smile:

i've been watching anime for half a decade and these are the ones i'd recommend: one piece, naruto, death note and attack on titan

firstly, are you interested in reading manga? because the mangas for some animes are a thousand times better than their anime adaptations. like 'one piece' for example. one piece is currently the best and most popular on going anime/manga to date. having watched both its anime and manga, i can confidently tell you that you would be doing yourself a disservice by watching the anime before reading the manga. if you want to truly enjoy one piece the way its author intended, you must read its manga. its currently on its 735th chapter and still maintaining its position as the best manga currently. the anime doesn't do it justice but if you still want to watch it, do so after reading the manga.

so yea, the first one i'm recommending is 'one piece' and you can start reading the manga here http://www.mangareader.net/103-2039-4/one-piece/chapter-1.html don't let the art bother you. it's alot more refined now than it was at the start, so much so that one piece has become renowned for its artistic originality. oh, and the manga panels are meant to be read from right to left, in case you didn't know.

the next one i'd recommend is naruto. unlike one piece, the anime for naruto is amazing, so you'd get as much satisfaction watching it as you would reading it.

the next is: attack on titan. this anime is literally god. it literally makes me cry tears of happiness epicness.

the last is: death note. just watch it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jones107
i am watching black butler at the moment, and its brilliant,
just finished attack on titan,
or even soul eater
three you may want to have a look at

Original post by Lone tiger
i've been watching anime for half a decade and these are the ones i'd recommend: one piece, naruto, death note and attack on titan

firstly, are you interested in reading manga? because the mangas for some animes are a thousand times better than their anime adaptations. like 'one piece' for example. one piece is currently the best and most popular on going anime/manga to date. having watched both its anime and manga, i can confidently tell you that you would be doing yourself a disservice by watching the anime before reading the manga. if you want to truly enjoy one piece the way its author intended, you must read its manga. its currently on its 735th chapter and still maintaining its position as the best manga currently. the anime doesn't do it justice but if you still want to watch it, do so after reading the manga.

so yea, the first one i'm recommending is 'one piece' and you can start reading the manga here http://www.mangareader.net/103-2039-4/one-piece/chapter-1.html don't let the art bother you. it's alot more refined now than it was at the start, so much so that one piece has become renowned for its artistic originality. oh, and the manga panels are meant to be read from right to left, in case you didn't know.

the next one i'd recommend is naruto. unlike one piece, the anime for naruto is amazing, so you'd get as much satisfaction watching it as you would reading it.

the next is: attack on titan. this anime is literally god. it literally makes me cry tears of happiness epicness.

the last is: death note. just watch it.

Thank you both, I'll give your suggestions a go :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you both, I'll give your suggestions a go :smile:

What are you interested in? Action, romance, fantasy, psychological, etc?
Reply 5
Original post by Vian
What are you interested in? Action, romance, fantasy, psychological, etc?

Fantasy is probably my favorite genre, action and sci-fi too.
Reply 6
Fantasy is probably my favorite genre, action and sci-fi too.

A list of anime, along with a very brief overview, which I believe you'll enjoy:

Fantasy/Sci-Fi:
Attack on Titan - Bit of horror/thriller too, about a world of man-eating giants pushing humanity to extinction.
Fate/Zero - Mages in a death game to possess the wish-granting powers of the Holy Grail.
Shinsekai Yori - A future where telekinesis has become the norm, but at a terrible cost to society. Not much action, but has an amazing plot.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Two alchemists seek the philosophers stone to restore their bodies, but discover a conspiracy.

Mecha (Action/Sci-Fi):
Code Geass - An exiled child of royalty incites a civil war in Japan to avenge his mother and destroy an empire. Has elements of fantasy as well.
Gurren Lagann - Two teenagers living in a subterranean village defy tradition and escape to the surface, where they are forced to war against monsters.
Reply 7
Bible Black.
Reply 8
Junjou romantica

Attack on titan , death note , tokyo ghoul ,kuroko no basuke , bleach , naruto etc. are all the popular ones you should give a shot

Specify a genre , that'd make recommendations much easier ^^

Quick Reply

Latest