The Student Room Group

Animal Behaviour and Conservation 2nd year student, any questions I can help with?

Hey all,

I'm just about to go into my 3rd year studying Animal Behaviour, Welfare, and Conservation BSc. I thought I would create this thread to see if anyone has any questions with regards to my course, or related courses. I will try my best to help.

-Victoria
Wrexham Student Rep
Reply 1
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
Hey all,

I'm just about to go into my 3rd year studying Animal Behaviour, Welfare, and Conservation BSc. I thought I would create this thread to see if anyone has any questions with regards to my course, or related courses. I will try my best to help.

-Victoria
Wrexham Student Rep

What is this coarse and what do you have to do
Original post by Norris5729
What is this coarse and what do you have to do

The course is really varied with alot of practical aspects, the modules are all related to and focus on developing high level skills in animal physiology, welfare, behaviour, training and conservation. Its great for those us who want to work with animals but dont want to become vets. After completing the course past students have gone on to work within zoos as keepers, wildlife rangers, welfare/rescue managers, animal sanctuary staff, dog trainers, business owners, conservationists, wildlife consultants, biodiversity officers and many other areas.

Hope this gives you a little bit more of an idea, please let me know if i can answer anything else for you.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni rep
Reply 3
Hey all,

-Victoria
Wrexham Student Rep

Did you have a lot of experience working with animals before going to university? Do you think the addition of projects done with animals or research on them helps your chances of getting into the course?
Hi,

Great questions. Yes I had experience with animals, but it wasn't extensive. I worked in a kennels and cattery, but I did emphasise my passion for animals and their welfare and demonstrated it with evidence, i.e raising money for a donkey charity and spending years researching into cruelty free products and only using those products. You will definitely need some experience and being able to demonstrate why you are passionate about your chosen course, but it doesn't need to be research or anything like that because you are doing an undergrad degree. Please let me know if i can help you with anything else.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep
Original post by Winniezon
Did you have a lot of experience working with animals before going to university? Do you think the addition of projects done with animals or research on them helps your chances of getting into the course?

Great questions. Yes I had experience with animals, but it wasn't extensive. I worked in a kennels and cattery, but I did emphasise my passion for animals and their welfare and demonstrated it with evidence, i.e raising money for a donkey charity and spending years researching into cruelty free products and only using those products. You will definitely need some experience and being able to demonstrate why you are passionate about your chosen course, but it doesn't need to be research or anything like that because you are doing an undergrad degree. Please let me know if i can help you with anything else.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep
Reply 6
Hey all,I'm just about to go into my 3rd year studying Animal Behaviour, Welfare, and Conservation BSc. I thought I would create this thread to see if anyone has any questions with regards to my course, or related courses. I will try my best to help.-VictoriaWrexham Student Rep
Hi, im applying for Animal behaviour and conservation BSc (Hons) to start 2024, I am wanting to do some kind of dog training/ animal behavioural job in the future does this course directly get me to this or do i need to do further education in a masters course after graduating in clinical animal behaviour?
Original post by aiimzzz
Hi, im applying for Animal behaviour and conservation BSc (Hons) to start 2024, I am wanting to do some kind of dog training/ animal behavioural job in the future does this course directly get me to this or do i need to do further education in a masters course after graduating in clinical animal behaviour?

Hi,

You could definitely become a dog trainer with this degree if you focused your assignments on the subject and read around it.
If you are wanting to become an animal behaviouralist you might need to look at doing a masters in animal behaviour. It really depends on what area you want to work in, it might be worth reaching out to certain places and seeing what experience/qualifications they require. Do you know what areas you would like to work in within animal behaviour? research or zoos? or are you thinking about starting your own dog training business?

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending