The Student Room Group

Does it matter which way I label my axis?

Hello,

I had to draw a graph for sin angle incidence against sin angle refraction. I have looked everywhere to see whether I have done it right. As I have my sin angle refraction on the y-axis and sin angle incidence on x-axis. Some websites show it to be the opposite way around, and some show my way to be right. Can anyone help me please!! I am worried that my further calculations are going to be wrong!!!
Are you familiar with Snell's Law? It links the angle of incident and refraction to the refractive indexes of two media: sini/sinr = n2/n1

I'm assuming that the data is for light going from air into another medium, and since the refractive index of air is taken to be 1, it ends up being sini/sinr = n2. Because the gradient is dy/dx, this means a graph of sini on the y axis again sinr on the x axis gives the refractive index of the second medium.
However your graph is sinr/sini, which gives 1/n2.
Original post by ChordaeTendineae
Are you familiar with Snell's Law? It links the angle of incident and refraction to the refractive indexes of two media: sini/sinr = n2/n1

I'm assuming that the data is for light going from air into another medium, and since the refractive index of air is taken to be 1, it ends up being sini/sinr = n2. Because the gradient is dy/dx, this means a graph of sini on the y axis again sinr on the x axis gives the refractive index of the second medium.
However your graph is sinr/sini, which gives 1/n2.

You have totally cleared that up for me thanks so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending