The Student Room Group

Question to Dutch, Germans and Austrians.

So I hear that in these places they have mixed Saunas :eek: like in that film Hostel.

Anybody from these countries been in them? Is this a common place to go in your country?

And to British people, would you be too reserved shy to go in one of these places?

I never believed that such places even exist but apparently they do. That is quite shocking to most British people probably!
Reply 1
This is the student room and not sauna room. Read them textbooks and get a respectable degree kid
Reply 2
I've never thought of it as something weird :') Then again it was at the public swimming baths we everyone was in a swimsuit.

But I don't think I'd have thought of it as weird if everyone was in the nude and no one ever commented on it.
Reply 3
Original post by RedArrow
This is the student room and not sauna room. Read them textbooks and get a respectable degree kid

I'm sorry for trying to educate myself about important parts of other people's cultures. :frown:
Reply 4
Ive been in a mixed sauna over here :redface: not that shocking, its not like we were all butt naked.
Once you get over the initial body consciousness, its just like the sauna version of "loose women" :wink:
I have been to mixed saunas in both Germany and the Netherlands. The only people who bat an eyelid are usually English speaking, often from the United States.

In each of the countries it is not seen as something unusual, and there seem to be spas/saunas in most big towns and cities. When I was in the Netherlands last year I went to one in the south of Amsterdam, which adjoins a tennis/sports club. No swimwear is worn apart from on a Tuesday, which is a designated swimwear day. It is not seen as some strange activity, indeed there are Olympic athletes who go there (no names mentioned but two I recognised).

The most difficult thing about a sauna in the Netherlands or Germany is that silence is expected within the sauna itself. This is unlike in the UK in my experience where a conversation is normal.

As to the why did I go question, the facilities are relaxing, I enjoy a sauna, and it has a lovely swimming pool.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Nell90
Ive been in a mixed sauna over here :redface: not that shocking, its not like we were all butt naked.
Once you get over the initial body consciousness, its just like the sauna version of "loose women" :wink:

Exactly but in Netherlands and Germany you wouldn't be allowed in unless you were butt naked!
Reply 7
Original post by noobynoo
Exactly but in Netherlands and Germany you wouldn't be allowed in unless you were butt naked!

So? Im struggling to understand your point.
Reply 8
Original post by Nell90
So? Im struggling to understand your point.

Well you said in England you were not shocked because you were all not butt naked. Therefor, presumably, you would be shocked if everyone was butt naked. Otherwise I fail to understand your point! :smile:
Ja

Quick Reply

Latest