The Student Room Group

Transition metal

Titration of a sample conatining 0.0010mol of vanadium, VOClx , required 20.0 cm3 of 0.020 mol dm-3 KMnO4 (aq) for its complete oxidation in acidic solution.

1) Using Eo data, predict the final oxidation state of the vanadium after titration.
2) Use the titration data given to calculate the change in oxidation number undergone by the vanadium during the titration.
3) Hence, deduce a value for x in VOClx.

:confused:
I do not know where to start. Could someone please go through this question step by step?
Original post by wstdn
Titration of a sample conatining 0.0010mol of vanadium, VOClx , required 20.0 cm3 of 0.020 mol dm-3 KMnO4 (aq) for its complete oxidation in acidic solution.

1) Using Eo data, predict the final oxidation state of the vanadium after titration.
2) Use the titration data given to calculate the change in oxidation number undergone by the vanadium during the titration.
3) Hence, deduce a value for x in VOClx.

:confused:
I do not know where to start. Could someone please go through this question step by step?

Considering that you have not given any data ... part 1) is going to be pretty tough!
Reply 2
You can use a data booklet.
Reply 3
IMHO you should look for Pourbaix diagram for vanadium.
Original post by wstdn
You can use a data booklet.

Then use one to see which oxidation states of vanadium can be oxidised by manganate(VII) ions and which cannot ....
Reply 5
Original post by charco
Then use one to see which oxidation states of vanadium can be oxidised by manganate(VII) ions and which cannot ....

It depends on pH, which is why I suggested Pourbaix diagrams.

Quick Reply

Latest