The Student Room Group

Lord of the Flies AQA English Literature

Hey, so I thought that I would create a thread just for Lord of the Flies and predictions for the Summer exam :smile:
Reply 1
Apparently it’s on the last chapter :smile:
Reply 2
Really? the 2013 paper had a question about the last chapter though... I was assuming they'd be more general about symbolism and the like, which is what they've been previously. I'm thinking we might get a question about Simon, there hasn't been a question on him for a couple of years (I think)
Reply 3
Original post by Bazbaz
Really? the 2013 paper had a question about the last chapter though... I was assuming they'd be more general about symbolism and the like, which is what they've been previously. I'm thinking we might get a question about Simon, there hasn't been a question on him for a couple of years (I think)

Each exam has two questions to choose from: an extract based one and a general novel based one on characters, themes, symbolism etc.we have been told to do the extract questions and my teacher only said she had a hunch that it was the last chapter and theres a website somewhere that shows which pages of the novel have been used already, the last chapter had the largest uncovered chapter of them all :smile:
Reply 4
I can't decide if the last chapter is a good one or not...I always prefer to go for the questions based on themes to be honest :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Maisie24x
Each exam has two questions to choose from: an extract based one and a general novel based one on characters, themes, symbolism etc.we have been told to do the extract questions and my teacher only said she had a hunch that it was the last chapter and theres a website somewhere that shows which pages of the novel have been used already, the last chapter had the largest uncovered chapter of them all :smile:

Ah see I always do the general ones, due to my lack of wanting to actually have to pay much attention to the book. I like to just write whatever comes into my head... seems to work for me. But the extract question from last year WAS from the last chapter, although I wouldn't really say it was an extract question. There wasn't one in last year's paper. Oh well, just as long as I never have to read the book again.

EDIT: Here's the 2013 extract question,

"At the end of the novel, the boys are rescued but ‘Ralph wept for the end of innocence’. How do you respond to the ending of Lord of the Flies and how does Golding make you respond as you do?"

So yeah I'm thinking the last chapter is unlikely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6

To be honest I always thought that extract based questions are never a definite, as it could be, and has been in the past, a character question and a theme question
Reply 7
Original post by dftba10
I can't decide if the last chapter is a good one or not...I always prefer to go for the questions based on themes to be honest :smile:

I personally hated the last chapter, it was an unrealistic anticlimax in my opinion. The allegorical meaning behind the novel of the evil in us all and the boys revealing their own evil just seems like they wouldn’t/shouldn’t have been rescued :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Bazbaz
Ah see I always do the general ones, due to my lack of wanting to actually have to pay much attention to the book. I like to just write whatever comes into my head... seems to work for me. But the extract question from last year WAS from the last chapter, although I wouldn't really say it was an extract question. There wasn't one in last year's paper. Oh well, just as long as I never have to read the book again.

EDIT: Here's the 2013 extract question,

"At the end of the novel, the boys are rescued but ‘Ralph wept for the end of innocence’. How do you respond to the ending of Lord of the Flies and how does Golding make you respond as you do?"

So yeah I'm thinking the last chapter is unlikely.

I really hope we don’t get that kind of question this time :smile: I think as long as you have a rough chronological understanding of events in the novel and understand key ideas you shouldn’t have to reread it again :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Noel_long
To be honest I always thought that extract based questions are never a definite, as it could be, and has been in the past, a character question and a theme question

I personally find the character/theme questions easier, they can be more time consuming though, finding quotes in the novel instead of on the page next to you.
Reply 10
I really hope we don’t get that kind of question this time :smile: I think as long as you have a rough chronological understanding of events in the novel and understand key ideas you shouldn’t have to reread it again :smile:

I'm reading it again because I haven't read it or studied it since October 2012, naturally I've forgotten a fair amount :biggrin: I got an A* in the mock without rereading, but I figure you can never be too careful when it comes to exam preparation.
Reply 11
I personally hated the last chapter, it was an unrealistic anticlimax in my opinion. The allegorical meaning behind the novel of the evil in us all and the boys revealing their own evil just seems like they wouldn’t/shouldn’t have been rescued :s-smilie:

Hm, I agree with you there to be honest...the tension was building up and then everything just seemed to stop :s-smilie:
Reply 12
I think it would be something to do with either simon and their conscience being the beast or the religious aspect (destroying the garden of eden and they burnt down part of the island. Also how once they let the fire go out all hope was lost and how the fire was a symbol of hope and once it was gone all hell broke loose.
Reply 13
Original post by Uthman97
I think it would be something to do with either simon and their conscience being the beast or the religious aspect (destroying the garden of eden and they burnt down part of the island. Also how once they let the fire go out all hope was lost and how the fire was a symbol of hope and once it was gone all hell broke loose.

I think Simon was already based in a question in the Jan 11 paper, but I agree with the religious theme. Do you think they would ask about Roger, as I have a feeling he may prop up.
Reply 14
I think Simon was already based in a question in the Jan 11 paper, but I agree with the religious theme. Do you think they would ask about Roger, as I have a feeling he may prop up.

Yes i think so because he hasn't been mentioned in any past papers from now since 2011 and i could not check the rest so there is quite a large chance he pops up.
Reply 15
Simon was Jan 11 or Jan 12 if I remember correctly
There hasn't been a question on Ralph since 2011 at least. Any ideas? In my opinion that's quite likely to come up?!
Reply 17
Original post by yeslordsugar
There hasn't been a question on Ralph since 2011 at least. Any ideas? In my opinion that's quite likely to come up?!

Yeah that's true
Yeah that's true

Or roger? Or the littluns. I feel they'd be hard to write about
Reply 19
Original post by yeslordsugar
Or roger? Or the littluns. I feel they'd be hard to write about

Roger would definitely throw a lot of people, so I can imagine it coming up, haha

Quick Reply

Latest