The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the GCSE English Study Group!

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your GCSE exams this summer.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications and Advance Information:

AQA Spec Literature

Edexcel Spec Literature

OCR Spec Literature

Eduqas Spec Literature

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!

Scroll to see replies

Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
Lol I think I’m the first to reply? Can somebody give me advice for Lord of the Flies please? How do you revise it? Much appreciated if anyone does reply, I have 4 months till my GCSEs help me😭😭
Original post by shrutifruti70
Lol I think I’m the first to reply? Can somebody give me advice for Lord of the Flies please? How do you revise it? Much appreciated if anyone does reply, I have 4 months till my GCSEs help me😭😭

Our teacher helped us with this but basically make a list of the characters. For each character write their key points in the story. You want about 3/4 chronological points and you need to always include the ending.
For example:

JACK
1. Our first impressions of him and when he wanted to be leader
2. His conflict with Ralph and their opposing views
3. His progression of killing the pig (first he couldn't kill it but then he kills the sow and it's really brutal)
4. When he creates his own tribe and becomes an idol
5. Ending- the boys are rescued.

Now you have to memorise these points for each character. Then you have to find quotations to support these points and if you want, you can memorise some really good analysis from the internet so you won't have to think of things in the exam. Make sure these points are chronological because the examiner wants to see that you can range through the novel!

Also, the bit when they get rescued is important because the boys have been saved from chaos and destruction just to be plunged back into it- the adult world is also consumed by war and conflict. So the ending is quite ironic and it shows Golding's message about innate evil within mankind. You can also fit some context about the war and Golding's experience in the war here too. You can get all of that out with the quotation 'trim cruiser'!

Also you gotta have an introduction and memorise it. Something that'll make the examiner really impressed before they even start reading. Make sure it's maybe two or three sentences introducing the novel. You can steal it off the internet or craft your own. Add a sentence addressing the question in a broad manner too.

For example:
William Golding utilizes his 1954 novel 'Lord of the Flies' to tackle the notion of innate savagery within mankind. Through this timeless novel, Golding portrays man as in a perilous state, caught up in an everlasting dualism between civilization and savagery. Regarding Roger as a character in the novel, Golding conveys him as the epitomy of violence and brutality and as a leading factor in the anarchy and destruction of the island.
(I imagined the question was about Roger)

This isn't that good because I didn't spend long on it but something like that! See how i talked about the novel really broadly and addressed the question?

If you want I can send the essay plans we made for each of the characters (and the beast). If it's a theme, like civilization Vs savagery, then you're gonna have to think a little harder in the exam but memorising those character key points will make it a lot easier as you can use some points you memorised for the characters and just twist them around a bit to make it fit the theme. If you wanted, you could also make essay plans on the key themes.

This got really long but I hope it helps and good luck 😭👍
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by shrutifruti70

Have a look at this. It gives you many good ideas on what to write about the characters and their actions:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/revision-notes/lord_of_the_flies_quotes_and_characters_explained
Hope it helps. Much good luck for your GCSE.
Original post by LemonTheLime
Our teacher helped us with this but basically make a list of the characters. For each character write their key points in the story. You want about 3/4 chronological points and you need to always include the ending.
For example:

JACK
1. Our first impressions of him and when he wanted to be leader
2. His conflict with Ralph and their opposing views
3. His progression of killing the pig (first he couldn't kill it but then he kills the sow and it's really brutal)
4. When he creates his own tribe and becomes an idol
5. Ending- the boys are rescued.

Now you have to memorise these points for each character. Then you have to find quotations to support these points and if you want, you can memorise some really good analysis from the internet so you won't have to think of things in the exam. Make sure these points are chronological because the examiner wants to see that you can range through the novel!

Also, the bit when they get rescued is important because the boys have been saved from chaos and destruction just to be plunged back into it- the adult world is also consumed by war and conflict. So the ending is quite ironic and it shows Golding's message about innate evil within mankind. You can also fit some context about the war and Golding's experience in the war here too. You can get all of that out with the quotation 'trim cruiser'!

Also you gotta have an introduction and memorise it. Something that'll make the examiner really impressed before they even start reading. Make sure it's maybe two or three sentences introducing the novel. You can steal it off the internet or craft your own. Add a sentence addressing the question in a broad manner too.

For example:
William Golding utilizes his 1954 novel 'Lord of the Flies' to tackle the notion of innate savagery within mankind. Through this timeless novel, Golding portrays man as in a perilous state, caught up in an everlasting dualism between civilization and savagery. Regarding Roger as a character in the novel, Golding conveys him as the epitomy of violence and brutality and as a leading factor in the anarchy and destruction of the island.
(I imagined the question was about Roger)

This isn't that good because I didn't spend long on it but something like that! See how i talked about the novel really broadly and addressed the question?

If you want I can send the essay plans we made for each of the characters (and the beast). If it's a theme, like civilization Vs savagery, then you're gonna have to think a little harder in the exam but memorising those character key points will make it a lot easier as you can use some points you memorised for the characters and just twist them around a bit to make it fit the theme. If you wanted, you could also make essay plans on the key themes.

This got really long but I hope it helps and good luck 😭👍

This is an absolutely amazing reply, thank you so much for taking the time out to put this together!
> What exam board are you on? AQA - very predictable!

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with? An Inspector Calls - I could spend all day picking apart and analysing the play in detail! Same goes for Macbeth, lots of twists and an overall great piece of literature.

> What areas are you struggling with a little? Unseen/war and conflict poetry, Jekyll and Hyde

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare? I really like using Quizlet. Mr Everything English (on YouTube) is the saving grace!

I would love to get a grade 8/9 in Literature - I got grade 7 in the October mocks and was 3 marks away from a grade 8. I am hopeful that I can do it!
(edited 1 year ago)
exam board :: ocr. I thought it was pretty common but I guess not? no wonder I don’t find any never let me go resources anywhere
confident :: I’ve cracked a way of getting 9 on the 40 markers so I guess I’m quite happy with exam technique
struggling :: I love English but I can’t read 😕. I genuinely cant sit and read Jane eyre it is much too difficult
online resources :: Jane eyre summary videos! I also have my moment booklet with key moments! it’s my life saver
Hiya , y11 student here , I am currently working at a weak 8 for english literature and I am just wondering if anyone had any grade 9 Jekyll and Hyde analysis which could boost my grade up to a 9 (because this is my weakest one out of all of the literature texts ). I m so desperate to get a 9 in english and I am very scared for gcses . Any help would be appreciated,Thanks :smile:

Also any grade 9 tips would help !!!

I study edexcel for literature but any analysis would help :tongue:
Hey @sara572729 it sounds like you're working at a similar level as @lolidk28283 and that you're both trying to boost your grade with the Jekyll and Hyde part of the syllabus. Perhaps it'll help if you talk it over together and share ideas and resources :smile:

What specific feedback have you both received from your teachers? What have they said you need to work on?
Reply 10
Original post by dormir07
exam board :: ocr. I thought it was pretty common but I guess not? no wonder I don’t find any never let me go resources anywhere
confident :: I’ve cracked a way of getting 9 on the 40 markers so I guess I’m quite happy with exam technique
struggling :: I love English but I can’t read 😕. I genuinely cant sit and read Jane eyre it is much too difficult
online resources :: Jane eyre summary videos! I also have my moment booklet with key moments! it’s my life saver

How have you cracked the 40 marker? In year 9 and also doing OCR but not finding as much information for English
(edited 1 year ago)
Anybody got any tips for analyzing unseen poetry? This is my least confident part of english literature so any help would be really appreciated
Original post by Studeent60
Anybody got any tips for analyzing unseen poetry? This is my least confident part of english literature so any help would be really appreciated

For the first part, analysis of language and structure is key, and you've got to be able to justify what you've stated. (For example, if the poem is on the topic of isolation, and you notice an AABA rhyme scheme, that could be indicative of the motifs of isolation because one verse is left isolated, not rhyming with anything else).
Reading the title of the poem always helps as well, it usually gives you a vague idea of what the poem will about, and linking back to it in your answer is always great.
For the 8 marker (second part) pick one image from each poem that you can talk about, and consider the similarities and differences, and if there is time left over at the end, there's no harm in doing another image. Doing a conclusion is always key, like a thesis statement just at the end giving a summary of what you've spoken about. In your paragraphs, switch back and forth between talking about poem A and B. (For example, you could say that Poem A explores the concept of winter being a catalyst for negative feelings, whereas Poem B symbolises the season of winter as a delicate friend through the use of (state a device that is used that portrays that message) and always always always talk about imagery, examiners love that
I hope that helps in any way:smile:
Hi there, I’m studying GCSE English Literature Edexcel and my set texts for Paper 1 are Romeo and Juliet and Lord of the Flies, whereas in Paper 2, it’s A Christmas Carol and the Relationships Poetry Anthology.
hiii
What exam board are you on? AQA

> What is part of my exam: A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls, power & conflict and Macbeth

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with? A Christmas Carol, it's pretty easy plus i listen to its audiobook every night before sleeping, it helps a lot

> What areas are you struggling with a little? pairing up the poems in power & conflict ( as in which poems should i compare ), and understanding Macbeth

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare? tried but didn't help much

> my target grade given by my school: 6

>what I've got in my mock: 6

>what i want:7/8

If anyone has any tips about which poems should i compare please tell me
If anyone could help me in Macbeth by giving me any key quotes with analysis i'd be grateful
> What exam board are you on? AQA

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with? war and conflict poetry as long as i remember the quotes lol

> What areas are you struggling with a little? mostly with paper 1

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare? no :frown: (just youtube eg. mr everything english etc)

i was a grade 5 but in my last mock i got a grade 6 and am currently working on it
i think i can get a higher grade in my real GCSEs like a 7/8 as i didn't think that i did my best and prepared enough for it

it would ne great if anyone could give me 3 key quotes for basically all of them-with analysis(r+j, acc, aic, power and conflict poems) as i think that EVERY SINGLE THING is important so i basically can't choose any :confused: (same for summarising too-i cannot summarise anything as i think EVERY SINGLE WORD is important and i won't have enough information if i just shorten everything lol ) | _ |
I am really stuck on edexel Romeo and Juliet, I have no idea how to revise.help!
Anything would be appreciated 👍🏽

Hello everyone! :hello:

I'm sure you're all busy revising and looking ahead to the upcoming exams! :smile:

There are now tons of exam-specific threads being created, where you can share advice and tips, and chat to other students who are in the same boat.:biggrin:

We've put together a directory of all the exam threads that have been created so far and will keep updating it as more are added - you can click here to find yours

You can also create your own if you can't find the exam you're looking for! :smile:
Just tag @Pwca and I'll add them to the directory.

Good luck with the revision and exams, everyone!

sara572729
x

x_hm05.06_x
x

fatimas01
x

Cioppi70
x

AlishaDaisy
x

acolourfulhuman
x

shrutifruti70
x

Purplepabd2006
x

lolidk28283
x

AmeenahHs
x

dormir07
x

maneve
x

LemonTheLime
x

Studeent60
x

Reply 18
Am I allowed to copy points said on YouTube vids and in textbooks word for word or will I be disqualified for plagiarism?
Reply 19
Original post by lena157
Am I allowed to copy points said on YouTube vids and in textbooks word for word or will I be disqualified for plagiarism?

yes you can, but obviously phrase it in your own words

wait no that doesnt make sense, you cant use word for word but ideas are free game
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending