The Student Room Group

Is the use of UMS the 'fairest' way to grade exams?

As the title says.

I haven't included coursework in the question because I imagine cheating to varying degrees is quite common where coursework is concerned, which pushes the UMS up and is therefore unfair for those who haven't cheated. Exams, however, are a different matter as cheating is far less likely.

So, is the use of UMS the 'fairest' way to go about grading exams? If not, why? Are there 'fairer' alternatives?
I think UMS is pretty fair, but I think there should only be one exam board. It's possible that some exam boards are easier for certain subjects, so easier to get higher UMS marks.
Reply 2
It is the fairest... you cant compare everyone equally otherwise

but 'they' could do a new standardization every few years whereby the exams are the same but % for an exam is higher - but the UMS score is still the same (so basically move the grade boundaries up/down if needs be)

so like a have 'control' year every few years

thats midnight waffle though... but the current way is fair
UMS is the fairest, but the coursework system seriously needs a revamping.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think UMS is pretty fair, but I think there should only be one exam board. It's possible that some exam boards are easier for certain subjects, so easier to get higher UMS marks.

100% Agree with this!

The fact there is like 4/5 different exam boards, in my opinion just makes the system even more flawed then it already is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending