The Student Room Group

I bombed my As results how do i apply to uni

Most of the year i have been a too student getting an AAC in mocks but the C was because i missed a section in geo. I often get highest in the class in all but i just got my results back and i got a BCC im appealing for the B to go to an A and a C to a B. But i am prepared to resit and im going to work my ass off for atleast a A and B. My question is how do i apply to a good uni whith bad grades? Because i was told that the earlier you apply the better your chances. And since i messed up, and results from November come in at january 15th. What should i do

Some additional info
Teachers know im a good student
Want to apply mainly to uk but can try canada
B-79% ums in maths
68%ums in geo
65%ums in business
I want to make my parents proud and im ready to sacrifice alot for these resit. But the application is what im confused about.
Original post by jijijjijijiji
Most of the year i have been a too student getting an AAC in mocks but the C was because i missed a section in geo. I often get highest in the class in all but i just got my results back and i got a BCC im appealing for the B to go to an A and a C to a B. But i am prepared to resit and im going to work my ass off for atleast a A and B. My question is how do i apply to a good uni whith bad grades? Because i was told that the earlier you apply the better your chances. And since i messed up, and results from November come in at january 15th. What should i do

Some additional info
B-79% ums in maths
68%ums in geo
65%ums in business
I want to make my parents proud and im ready to sacrifice alot for these resit. But the application is what im confused about.

@04MR17 might be able to help advise on your situation here :hugs:

Some additional info
B-79% ums in maths
68%ums in geo
65%ums in business

Hello, just to confirm - are these your AS grades?
Where are you taking these? England/Wales/another nation?
Apart from applicants apply to Oxford, Cambridge or Medicine and other medicine-related courses, the UCAS equal consideration deadline is 31 January 2024. If you apply by that date, universities have to treat your application exactly the same as if they had received it earlier. So as long as you apply by 31 January, then you will not be disadvantaged.
I don't think the teachers knowing you are good will help with university applications, but you can wait until you get your results from November so you can get higher predicted grades.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Some additional info
B-79% ums in maths
68%ums in geo
65%ums in business

Many students dont reach predicted grades. They are inflated by teachers and are meaningless. Are you an international student because A levels are only taken in June here.

Teachers saying your a good student wont help. It is based on evidence and that is what grades show.

You dont say what subject you are looking at what you consider good. There will be many universities who will accept you through clearing with BCC.
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
Hello, just to confirm - are these your AS grades?
Where are you taking these? England/Wales/another nation?

Yes these are my As grades
im taking my As level internationally
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
Many students dont reach predicted grades. They are inflated by teachers and are meaningless. Are you an international student because A levels are only taken in June here.

Teachers saying your a good student wont help. It is based on evidence and that is what grades show.

You dont say what subject you are looking at what you consider good. There will be many universities who will accept you through clearing with BCC.

These are my As level results but i wanted to get an A*A A overall so im resiting as an international student we do exams 3 times a year so i am resiting in oct/nov
These are my As level results but i wanted to get an A*A A overall so im resiting as an international student we do exams 3 times a year so i am resiting in oct/nov

Other than Oxbridge and courses like Medicine which have an October time limit you dont need to apply until January. People often say if you apply earlier you have a better chance but that isnt true. There is a deadline by which you have to apply and anyone who applies before that date is considered equally with someone who applied on 30 September. That is why it is classed as the equal consideration deadline. That used to be mid Jan but is now late Jan so you will know your grades if you apply before then.

Most students dont have actual grades to apply with. They apply with predicted grades so not having your resit grades wont matter anyway. You will be considered on your predicted grades but will have to achieve these grades. English students dont sit AS. It is only the overseas students, Welsh and Northern Irish students who sit them,
Yes these are my As grades
im taking my As level internationally

Brill, thank you - I'm just catching up on your situation. My advice is below...

Some additional info
B-79% ums in maths
68%ums in geo
65%ums in business

For UK applications through UCAS, you can apply to 5 universities. I would recommend having some of your courses being higher and some lower with their entry requirements. That way you have a nice range and if you are rejected by universities further up the ladder you still have some options that you're happy with here in the UK.

The UCAS application will have a reference section that your teacher fills in, plus a space for your teacher to enter predictions for your A level result predictions. These are your teacher's choice for what they think you can achieve. They would be kind to you to be as accurate as they can.
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
Other than Oxbridge and courses like Medicine which have an October time limit you dont need to apply until January. People often say if you apply earlier you have a better chance but that isnt true. There is a deadline by which you have to apply and anyone who applies before that date is considered equally with someone who applied on 30 September. That is why it is classed as the equal consideration deadline. That used to be mid Jan but is now late Jan so you will know your grades if you apply before then.

Most students dont have actual grades to apply with. They apply with predicted grades so not having your resit grades wont matter anyway. You will be considered on your predicted grades but will have to achieve these grades. English students dont sit AS. It is only the overseas students, Welsh and Northern Irish students who sit them,

Thanks i was scared i might miss a chance because i applied late. Do you have any advice on ucas applications?
Thanks i was scared i might miss a chance because i applied late. Do you have any advice on ucas applications?

No but @PQ is an expert in this area and may be able to help you.
Ask long as you apply by the January deadline then you will be fine.
Talk to your school/colleges about timing your application so it’s after your resits. They’ll have deadlines that you need to meet so they have time to add your reference but if they understand why you want to apply closer to the deadline then they should be able to work with you to make that happen.

Quick Reply

Latest