The Student Room Group

Is this fine for medicine.

Hey I made a thread like this 6months ago but now im 2 weeks away from my gcses and pretty much know what I am going to get.

My sixthform wants us to finialize our options but If I don't have a shot at medicine I need to swap my a levels(as I would only ever want to do engineering if I cant do medicine which would mean swapping a few things).

If I got these gcses would I be fine?
Biology-A* achieved in y10.
Chemistery-A
physics-A*
Maths-A*
Eng lang-A
Lit-A
Business studies-A*
Geog-A
Spanish-B
Music-C
Pe(had to take some weird course where I get 2 btecs)-Distinction* and Distinction*)
RE(short course)-C

Also if I got an A* in re short course would it help much?
Thanks.
Reply 1
The more A* the better, so basically your 4A* will be competitive unless someone applying for the same course has say 5A*..
Original post by whydoidothis?
Hey I made a thread like this 6months ago but now im 2 weeks away from my gcses and pretty much know what I am going to get.

My sixthform wants us to finialize our options but If I don't have a shot at medicine I need to swap my a levels(as I would only ever want to do engineering if I cant do medicine which would mean swapping a few things).

If I got these gcses would I be fine?
Biology-A* achieved in y10.
Chemistery-A
physics-A*
Maths-A*
Eng lang-A
Lit-A
Business studies-A*
Geog-A
Spanish-B
Music-C
Pe(had to take some weird course where I get 2 btecs)-Distinction* and Distinction*)
RE(short course)-C

Also if I got an A* in re short course would it help much?
Thanks.

Those GCSE's would be fine for the majority of unis, just steer clear of certain places (e.g oxford/edinburgh) where you dont really have a shot unlessy ou have 7+A*!! Just do your research nearer the time and 'apply smart' to med schools where you have a decent shot of getting in :smile: As i said though, for the majority of med schools they will certainly be enough combined with good ukcat/good personal statement/as's etc
Reply 3
they're solid, although chemistry is the most important A-level for medicine. As far as I know it is compulsory to have chemistry A level for medicine whereas you don't HAVE to have biology, or physics or chemistry (although most places want biology and chemistry and one of maths/physics). Therefore it might hurt your chances a bit that you got an A in chemistry and and not an A* like your other sciences. Plus you might want to consider medicine in the light of chemistry, as its a very tough A level (toughest science) and it looks like your weakest science-whereas engineering you might be able to get away with just maths and physics as your sciences
Reply 4
That is fine one of my friends had 4A*s and she's been offered a place at medicine. They do recommend that you have 5 A* but if you really do your research some universities have an extended degree (6 years) where they barely look at GCSEs and have lower A level grade boundaries, so you may want to consider applying to one or two of these unis with the extended degree as a safety net. Make sure you have work experience and volunteering to make your application look good and increase your chances of getting into uni :smile: Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by voxdock
they're solid, although chemistry is the most important A-level for medicine. As far as I know it is compulsory to have chemistry A level for medicine whereas you don't HAVE to have biology, or physics or chemistry (although most places want biology and chemistry and one of maths/physics). Therefore it might hurt your chances a bit that you got an A in chemistry and and not an A* like your other sciences. Plus you might want to consider medicine in the light of chemistry, as its a very tough A level (toughest science) and it looks like your weakest science-whereas engineering you might be able to get away with just maths and physics as your sciences

very helpful thank you, and everyone else. Yeah chemistry is what I find hardest out of the sciences, I'm gonna think this one over lol.
Original post by whydoidothis?
very helpful thank you, and everyone else. Yeah chemistry is what I find hardest out of the sciences, I'm gonna think this one over lol.

Just a little reassurance in regards to chemistry. CHemistry WAS and IS my worst science, and I 'only' got an A at GCSE in it yet through hard work etc. I got an A at AS and I'm predicted an A/A* this year (I will hopefully get a low A and get into med school!)

Good luck
Original post by Dr. Django
Just a little reassurance in regards to chemistry. CHemistry WAS and IS my worst science, and I 'only' got an A at GCSE in it yet through hard work etc. I got an A at AS and I'm predicted an A/A* this year (I will hopefully get a low A and get into med school!)

Good luck

Wow nice to see someone who was where I am succeed. You know what I'm gonna go for it! Thanks and good luck with getting into a med course.
Just to add chemistry doesn't mean **** for medicine. You'll never use it again. It doesn't matter how your chemistry is if you can get an A at a level you will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest