The Student Room Group

OCR AS Salters May 23rd Exam Thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beasttty
Bond angle is 105. It's bent shaped.

google doesn't agree
Bond angle is 105. It's bent shaped.

Nope bond angle is 120 degrees. 3 areas of electron density, 2 bonding 1 lone = bent 120
Was enthalpy change + or -12? Reaction decreased in temp so would have expected +
Overall, the paper was similar to previous year. Although, everyone seems to have different answers to the calculation questions. I think I made a few silly errors in the calculations.

Also, why did OCR select the only molecule that doesn't obey the octet rule.
Reply 104
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Nope bond angle is 120 degrees. 3 areas of electron density, 2 bonding 1 lone = bent 120

There's 2 lone pairs it's 109
Original post by Joe785
There's 2 lone pairs it's 109

No, sulfur 6 electrons, 2 went to dative covalent 2 went to double bond. 2 left = one lone pair
Are you guys stupid? The question stated CO2 was linear and SO2 was v-shaped. V-shaped is 105 degrees. Look at water. God dam people here
Was given in the question.

Molecules can also be v shaped without having 4 areas of electron density.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400841502.694500.jpg

Straight from my Salters revision guide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Was enthalpy change + or -12? Reaction decreased in temp so would have expected +

What did you out for the energy transferred from solution? I had both as + I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 7jdrabble
What did you out for the energy transferred from solution? I had both as + I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think 1672 but I didn't put a plus or minus. I had +12 though
What did people put about for explaining why CaO was expected to react with Sulfur dioxide? I put something about there being a large surface area - I have no idea though...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by minibuttons
What did people put about for explaining why CaO was expected to react with Sulfur dioxide? I put something about there being a large surface area - I have no idea though...

I put it would form a 2- sulfate ion, but I'm not really sure.

Will I get a mark on the last question for using a 1:1 mole ratio for the acid to the co2, but accidentally using 44 instead of 24 due to a last minute correction to the wrong answer...
CaO reacts as it is alkaline and SO2 is acidic, so they react to form a salt. That's what my teacher said.
I only said CaO is alkaline (and it was high temperatures, I made that up) so I don't know if I'll get the mark.
Original post by Rose_Wavy
I put it would form a 2- sulfate ion, but I'm not really sure.

Will I get a mark on the last question for using a 1:1 mole ratio for the acid to the co2, but accidentally using 44 instead of 24 due to a last minute correction to the wrong answer...

I am not sure. I think I got that question wrong because I didn't realise it was a 1:1 ratio already and multiplied my answer by 3 :/ doesn't any one mol of gas occupy 24dm^3 though? What did you get as your answer? Quite a few people got 3.4dm^3
Original post by MasterOfTheSwag
CaO reacts as it is alkaline and SO2 is acidic, so they react to form a salt. That's what my teacher said.
I only said CaO is alkaline (and it was high temperatures, I made that up) so I don't know if I'll get the mark.

Are you retarded?
What did you guys put for the question about the procedures for dating a rock? And why it not suitable to be used in archaelogical rocks?
Original post by matty6mitchell
Are you retarded?

What's your answer then Einstein? And what's wrong with mine?
Original post by minibuttons
I am not sure. I think I got that question wrong because I didn't realise it was a 1:1 ratio already and multiplied my answer by 3 :/ doesn't any one mol of gas occupy 24dm^3 though? What did you get as your answer? Quite a few people got 3.4dm^3

Sadly I got that, then changed it with about a minute to go. For some strange reason I decided to multiply the number of moles by co2's relative mass instead of 24. I will never do a last minute panic again :frown:
Original post by Rose_Wavy
Sadly I got that, then changed it with about a minute to go. For some strange reason I decided to multiply the number of moles by co2's relative mass instead of 24. I will never do a last minute panic again :frown:

I am sure you have done well in answering other questions as well :smile: now that is over it's time to get prepared for F332. I feel like I have mucked up on the calculations but o well, we can try and pull our grades up by doing well on the next unit.
Well that was a doss... Slept for half an hour!! Got minimum of 55 marks...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending