The Student Room Group

Keep getting As on GCSE edexcel papers

hi, i want to do futher maths at A level, but i have done 6 past papers (equating to 3 full past GCSEs) and i have gotten As on all of them..

between 135-155/200.

I don't know what else to do that will help me get A* that i need, other than past papers, can anyone recommend a way?

thanks in advance..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by B.Carmine
hi, i want to do futher maths at A level, but i have done 6 past papers (equating to 3 full past GCSEs) and i have gotten As on all of them..

between 135-155/200.

I don't know what else to do that will help me get A* that i need, other than past papers, can anyone recommend a way?

thanks in advance..

Look at the papers to see what topics you do not understand

Send time learning those topics
Reply 2

between 135-155/200.

thanks in advance..

What are you losing marks on?

Does a lack of knowledge ever cost you marks or are you sometimes unable to see how to answer a question?

Post some of the question you got wrong if you like.
Reply 3
Original post by BabyMaths
What are you losing marks on?

Does a lack of knowledge ever cost you marks or are you sometimes unable to see how to answer a question?

Post some of the question you got wrong if you like.

Well, i lose a good 10 marks from stuff i don't know, and maybe a futher 5 from making mistakes such as not reading the question porperly e.g. putting a time such as 30mins and not a time of day which is asked for like 4:30pm.

i'll find the paper i got back today and link you in a second..
Well, i lose a good 10 marks from stuff i don't know, and maybe a futher 5 from making mistakes such as not reading the question porperly e.g. putting a time such as 30mins and not a time of day which is asked for like 4:30pm.

i'll find the paper i got back today and link you in a second..

What about the rest of the missing marks?
Reply 5
http://pastpapers.edexcel.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Mathematics%20A/2010/Question%20papers%20and%20mark%20schemes/1MA0_1H_que_20130228.pdf - alright this is it..

question 18, i gave rotation 180 degrees about (0,0), the first 2 were correct but the last wrong, 2/3 marks...

23. 2 x pi x 5^2= 50pi WRONG????

24. i have no idea how to work that out..

also lost marks on 14. but i can learn that from the textbook..

these are really the only questions i lost marks in bar a few which i can work out myself.

i got 68 on this paper.. :/
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
What about the rest of the missing marks?

Probably forgetting to do certain things, like using a line of best fit to calculate an estimate on a scatter graph was an example of the paper i did... silly mistakes i know..
http://pastpapers.edexcel.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Mathematics%20A/2010/Question%20papers%20and%20mark%20schemes/1MA0_1H_que_20130228.pdf - alright this is it..

question 18, i gave rotation 180 degrees about (0,0), the first 2 were correct but the last wrong, 2/3 marks...

You need to learn how rotations work

23. 2 x pi x 5^2= 50pi WRONG????

What question

24. i have no idea how to work that out..

That worries me - tree diagrams are a standard question

also lost marks on 14. but i can learn that from the textbook..

Very standard question
Reply 8
You need to learn how rotations work

What question

That worries me - tree diagrams are a standard question

Very standard question

i'm pretty sure though its (0,0) i have gotten rotation questions correctly before..

the hemisphere surface area

thats what i attempted, i must have messed up somewhere

yeah i know, i just haven't learnt how to do it.
For 23 you did the area of a circle multiplied by 2 when it's the surface area of a hemipshere...

So find out how to work out the surface area of a sphere.
Divide that by two.
Work out the area of the circle at the bottom of the hemisphere.
Add them together!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by EastGuava
For 23 you did the area of a circle multiplied by 2 when it's the surface area of a hemipshere...

So find out how to work out the surface area of a sphere.
Divide that by two.
Work out the area of the circle at the bottom of the hemisphere.
Add them together!

so (4 x pi x r^2)/2 + pi x r^2?
i'm pretty sure though its (0,0) i have gotten rotation questions correctly before..

Did you draw the new shape

It certainly is not (0,0)
Reply 12
Did you draw the new shape

It certainly is not (0,0)

yes...
so (4 x pi x r^2)/2 + pi x r^2?

It should be :biggrin:
yes...

So why did you think it was (0,0)?
Reply 15
So why did you think it was (0,0)?

well its mapping P to R, i dont see how Q is relevant... there is 1 square between each at point 0,0..
well its mapping P to R, i dont see how Q is relevant... there is 1 square between each at point 0,0..

Let me look at the question again
What was the correct coordinate? :P

So

When you do the transformations described - the bottom left hand corner has moved from (1,1) to (-3,-1)

That cannot happen it you rotate about the origin - the corner would have gone to (-1,-1) instead
Reply 19
Original post by EastGuava
What was the correct coordinate? :P

(-1,0) the mark scheme says

Quick Reply

Latest