The Student Room Group

A Level maths

I am about to start A level maths. I am just curious what is it like?
Reply 1
Original post by Kingdragon
I am about to start A level maths. I am just curious what is it like?

Do you know what exam board you're doing?
Reply 2
Edexcel
Reply 3
Original post by Kingdragon
Edexcel

I did OCR A Maths, which is a bit different, but Edexcel is very popular as an exam board. From what I know about Edexcel, I think the papers are supposedly trickier than some other exam boards but that means they have much lower grade boundaries I think? Pure Maths is the biggest part of Maths across all of the exam boards I think, so algebra, trigonometry, geometry, etc. You'll start with what you know from GCSE and then add A-Level specific parts to it, like more complicated graphs and logarithms. I know for OCR you also study Statistics and Mechanics which weren't taught at GCSE, but I don't know about Edexcel. I think that it definitely increases in difficulty gradually, and if you ask any questions you have about certain topics during the lessons about that topic and don't get stuck or struggle with a concept because you don't want to ask questions, you'll be OK. Keep up with homework because it will be helpful to you to do practice questions, talk to your peers about topics you struggle with too, see if they have other ways they can explain an idea that might make it easier to understand, and utilise any resources your teachers can offer you like revision sessions or revision books, etc. Hope this helps!
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest