The Student Room Group

c4: quick question re: partial fractions

Hi,

If I have a fraction, say 1u(u1)\frac{1}{u(u-1)} because I have a squared term in the denominator, would the fraction be equivalent to Au+Bu2Cu \frac{A}{u} + \frac{B}{u^2} - \frac{C}{u} ?

Is the above the best way (only way?) to do it?

Thanks
Original post by marcsaccount
Hi,

If I have a fraction, say 1u(u1)\frac{1}{u(u-1)} because I have a squared term in the denominator, would the fraction be equivalent to Au+Bu2Cu \frac{A}{u} + \frac{B}{u^2} - \frac{C}{u} ?

Is the above the best way (only way?) to do it?

Thanks

That doesn't give you the right denominator. You only have linear terms so the partial fractions are Au+Bu1\frac{A}{u} + \frac{B}{u-1}

If we combine your terms we get Au+Bu2Cu=Du+Bu2=Du+Bu2\frac{A}{u} + \frac{B}{u^2} - \frac{C}{u} = \frac{D}{u} + \frac{B}{u^2} = \frac{Du+B}{u^2} where D=ABD=A-B
Original post by atsruser
That doesn't give you the right denominator. You only have linear terms so the partial fractions are Au+Bu1\frac{A}{u} + \frac{B}{u-1}

If we combine your terms we get Au+Bu2Cu=Du+Bu2=Du+Bu2\frac{A}{u} + \frac{B}{u^2} - \frac{C}{u} = \frac{D}{u} + \frac{B}{u^2} = \frac{Du+B}{u^2} where D=ABD=A-B

Hi - thanks for your help. I thought it was a repeated term because if the bracket is expanded the denominator would be u2u u^2 - u , but this isn't a repeated term?
Reply 3
It would be repeated if it was u(u1)2u(u-1)^2 as you see the (u1)(u-1) is repeated twice due to the second order.
Original post by marcsaccount
Hi - thanks for your help. I thought it was a repeated term because if the bracket is expanded the denominator would be u2u u^2 - u , but this isn't a repeated term?

You are looking for terms that are multiplied in the denominator, not added or subtracted, due to the way fractions with different denominators are added - think about finding a common denominator when adding fractions:

ax+by=ayxy+xbxy=ay+bxxy\frac{a}{x} + \frac{b}{y} = \frac{ay}{xy} + \frac{xb}{xy} = \frac{ay+bx}{xy}

Note that we multiplied, not added, the denominators.
OK, it's clear now, thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest