The Student Room Group

Using Further Mathematics in Normal A-level (Edexcel)?

For partial fractions, I am aware of both methods to solve (equating coefficients and the other substituting values in). I really prefer just equating the coefficients and then if I get a quadratic then just substituting into a 3 by 3 matrix and solving simultanously like this. This method is signicantly quicker and minmises mistakes for me but is it acceptable in an exam?
Reply 1
Original post by DanW771
For partial fractions, I am aware of both methods to solve (equating coefficients and the other substituting values in). I really prefer just equating the coefficients and then if I get a quadratic then just substituting into a 3 by 3 matrix and solving simultanously like this. This method is signicantly quicker and minmises mistakes for me but is it acceptable in an exam?

Yes - pick which coeffs to compare. Highest power and constant usually avoid quadratics.
Original post by DanW771

my teacher told us not to mainly because sometimes mark schemes ask for a specific method and you could just end up only getting one mark for the answer- so better to be safe than sorry!
Reply 3
Original post by Ethereal001
my teacher told us not to mainly because sometimes mark schemes ask for a specific method and you could just end up only getting one mark for the answer- so better to be safe than sorry!

If you read the question properly and it does not exclude your method or demand a specific one then any method is fine. Just make the narrative clear. Far more marks are lost through untidy unclear narrative then are lost through using outside scheme methods.

Quick Reply

Latest